=0

Holly

Got home last night and the tank was perfect and clear. (It was under moons, but our moons are 2 25W incandescent blue lamps, so they're relatively shimmery.)

This morning when I got up, tank was completely clouded and my CBB was nearly dead. I put it in the hospital, but it's too late--It was stuck to a powerhead still breathing. (It was really thin, even for a CBB, so maybe it just didn't thrive, and it has nothing to do with the tank??)

ALL the grape caulerpa in the tank had turned white and flown loose. Died overnight. All of it. All the other macro is perfectly healthy. I cleaned the dead grape out of the tank and off all the powerheads. (Maybe it's the dead grape that clouded the tank??)

Ckd skimmer. It's working fine and putting out the usual effluent. Water's all flowing normally. I put in a new mechanical filter two days ago, so it's still relatively clean. There's brand-new ROWA in the media filter (also 2 days old).

All the other stock looks normal, but cloudy water can't be good. Water doesn't have a smell or any kind of film on the surface, like with organics.

MHs just came on at 10.

Any ideas???

Temp - 78.2

SG 1.026

pH - 8.1

Nitrate - 0

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0

phosphates - barely trace (under 0.03)

alk 8.0

Ca 480

What a morning! BOTH the kids are hacking up lungs and a discus in my other tank died overnight too. DOH!

post-266-141867765765_thumb.jpg

post-266-141867765767_thumb.jpg

I always run a cup or two so of carbon, which I changed two days ago when I did my overall cleaning, but I can change it again. I have 2 cups left; I need to go get some more. Thanks of the offer CD!

The grape was going sexual? I thought it was DYING when it went white and turned 'mushy' Bummer.. Well, it's all down the disposal now. It was flying around ALL OVER the tank clogging up the powerheads. Can't have that.

That grape was growing so fast that I was having to toss out a handful every other week or so to keep it in check. I was wondering why some mornings it would be white in areas. I kept pulling off those white parts and tossing them. I didn't wanna take it out completely because I REALLY liked the way it looked when it was bright green. My herms liked to hang out in there, too

I've got the RO/DI going right now, but I'll prob just go to Fanta-Seas and fill my other containers. Mines only runs 25GPD, and that's not good for a big water change.

THANKS! If it's only sexy plants, I don't need to panic! :D PHEW

ROWA's in a phos filter and the water coming out of the filter is run directly into the sock. The water coming into the filter is gravity feed from the tank, which keeps the ROWA a little stirred up, but not too much. No pump or anything.

We ran some errands and when we got back, the tank looked much better. I was wet skimming it this morning; took out about 3-4 gallons. That helped a lot.

The grape has to be the culprit, because once it was removed, the tank's skimmed almost back to normal in less than 6hrs.

All the fish are accounted for and acting happy except our poor CBB, who finally gave up the ghost.

*RIP* (sad)

I absolutely LOVE them, but prolly not right now. I HATE the dying. I feel guilty. (sad)

IMO, having more of the indiv sm fish is more interesting than the med-to-large fish. I think it makes for a more interesting series of activities around the rockwork. I'd love to get a couple anthias, but I can't put myself in a situation where I need to be home for four feedings a day; that's just too much restriction on life. (jail) I hate that, too, because I think they're some of THE most beautiful tank fish.

My small-fish mistake was getting 2 firefish. I should've gotten 6 or 1. These 2 have staked out half the tank bottom each and dive-bomb each other when they wander close to the middle. I had no idea firefish were like that.

I've learned a lot on this first tank. The next one will be done with more careful planning :D

I don't know what anthias eat... Maybe. I feed my fish mysis and sometimes brine shr. Never tried flake before.

I'd be concerned bout an autofeeder. Would it fit under my canopy? Wouldn't the humidity from daytime evaporation make the flakes stick to the container and not fall out? Don't know.

Have any of you used them successfully?