50w LED Spotlights? Anyone using these?

AquaticEngineer

If you are interested in these units, I can get these in the 10-20k. It is built with heatsink all in one unit like the canon led unit. I didn't import these in because I thought it wasn't a high demand for them.

It also come in the 5,10,20,80,100,200,300 watts. I don't mean to jack your thread, but just want to share some info. I still think you need to add actinic to the 14k 50w unit.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are interested in these units, I can get these in the 10-20k. It is built with heatsink all in one unit like the canon led unit. I didn't import these in because I thought it wasn't a high demand for them.

It also come in the 5,10,20,80,100,200,300 watts. I don't mean to jack your thread, but just want to share some info. I still think you need to add actinic to the 14k 50w unit.

Whats the price on a 50w unit? I have a couple par38s that have actinic, and I was thinking of rebuilding my 50 watter to go over my kelp bed.

AquaticEngineer, how big was the heat sink you used? It looks like 2"x2" is that about right? I have a couple of large heat sinks that could work and another idea was to wire a thermal switch in line with the LED and mount it on the heat sink so if the fan goes the over temp switch will cut the power. How about using a large aluminum plate to help with the heat.

This one looks like it could work 50c normally closed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermostat-Temperature-Switch-50-C-N-C-KSD301-7pcs-/160646722256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25674a72d0

I picked up a new heatsink/fan combo off an old AMD setup from goodwill for $2.99 yesterday, best part is it fits perfectly inside the light housing I wanted to use :D

FishKiler, I am definitely going to use one of the thermal switchs this time, thanks again for the link :D

I pulled up the running temps for the light last time I had it going full on. The surface temp of the bulb was 118F, and the heatsink was 130F after a 30 minute run time. I think I am going to buy a thermal switch that is at 50C ( 122F) and one that is at 55C (131) and hopefully with the more effective heatsink and fan this time around the light wont even get up to 130F.

• 2 weeks later...

Just though of something on the switches you might want to check the resistance on them first before putting them in line with the LEDs and may need to put them on the 120 line side, just make sure you insulate them well. If they have substantial resistance on them they may mess with you LED driver. Without actually testing them cant tell what the switch may introduce on the LED side. Did you get a data sheet with your driver, If you have one can you post it I would like to see what the load range is like on those drivers. Thanks.

When wacky willies closed I was very disappointed, until I found surplus gizmos. I sometime just visit that place to look around, got some moon lights in there one day for like $10 total (led strip and power supply).

Muuuuuwwhwhahhahahahah its ALIVE!!!

I got my thermal switch in the mail today so I dug out the old 50w led chip that is half fried and wired it back up. It still puts out a god awful amount of light for only being 50w.

I hooked up the new heatsink and fan and mounted the thermal switch onto the heatsink inline to the led. I gutted out a track light fixture and mounted everything inside of the housing so that it can be positioned on the track with the other lights I'll be using.

I'm letting the glue dry right now on the optic so it'll stay in place, but it should be all ready to go tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Shenzhen, China right now. Saturday I went to the largest electronics mecca in the world, Hua Qiang Bei. One HUGE building has 7 floors of electronics stuff. There must have been literally 20,000 booths that were selling all manner of LED's and components. Looking at some of those lights from 3 feet away was like holding a camera flash an inch from my eye, I nearly got blinded. A 3 light (12W) spotlight costs about $1.50. I wish I spoke Chinese so I could convey what I want, I think I could come back with a setup that would rival any 400W MH set up for about $15.00.

Care for an update???

Got the old setup fully functional and wired in a thermal switch. It has been working flawlessly for almost a month now. I gutted a track light housing and removed all the power contacts from it so its not actually receiving power from the strip, just utilzing it for a mounting position. Its over my 200 gallon coldwater and is all the major light source, I'm using a couple dimmable 12w blue/white par38 bulbs for color a little and to get better shadowing in the tank.

For anyone interested in seeing this light in person, I'm hosting the monthly club meeting at my house on November 19th (which is also my birthday :D )

I found them between 18-30 each if you buy 10 or more http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/50w-white-power-led.html

The 50w chips individually you can grab for a buy it now price around $25, and the waterproof drivers individually for $14.99 on ebay. I wish I could afford to grab more than one at a time to bring down the price, lol, maybe some day.

I'm in Shenzhen' date=' China right now. Saturday I went to the largest electronics mecca in the world, Hua Qiang Bei. One HUGE building has 7 floors of electronics stuff. There must have been literally 20,000 booths that were selling all manner of LED's and components. Looking at some of those lights from 3 feet away was like holding a camera flash an inch from my eye, I nearly got blinded. A 3 light (12W) spotlight costs about $1.50. I wish I spoke Chinese so I could convey what I want, I think I could come back with a setup that would rival any 400W MH set up for about $15.00.[/quote']

Best website ever....................www.madeinchina.com

I think I got quoted as low as $7.49 a piece for a 12k 50w LED Chip, but minimum quantitu was 50 pieces. That was a few more than I needed, lol.

So I'm starting to build a second one of these lights now.

So this is what I have purchased so far for this build:

LED Driver Waterproof IP67 Power Supply 33VDC 1.5A 50W $14.99 shipped

Temperature Switch Thermostat 55 °C $2.83 shipped

I'm still looking for the best deals on the other parts, but all I need now is:

Heatsink/fan (probably from goodwill again about $5)

LED lens optic ( havn't decided if on 30 or 60 degree angle ye, ebay $9)

50w LED chip ( just looking for the best price still, so far its ebay for $21 shipped)

Light housing ( I'm going to mount this one in a round metallic tube for better ventilation since it will be hung as a pendant, Home depot $6)

Power supply for fan ( free, scavanged from any 12v converter plug)

Other than that its just a little bit of wiring, soldering, heat shrink, and some epoxy to hold it all together.

Total estimated cost is less than $60 for the equivilent of a 250 watt halide that only uses 50 watts of power.

• 2 weeks later...

Just put in an order for the driver LED 50w 20K and the switch. Now just waiting for the slow boat from China. I will update when it all gets here.

So never have seen the LED array do I need a cover on it or is it epoxied over? Without the lens it says 140 degree viewing angle does that sound about right?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 50watt white and blue coming, with waterproof drivers ( I like them cuz they are 110 volt in and 30 volts out, so no need for a power source) ordered them on friday so hope the snail mail gets the lead out!!! I got the heat sinks that you had but then read your post about them being to small :( I plan on getting a couple of those comp coolers you talked about!! I haven't gotten any reflectors or lenses yet but I do plan on it!!

So I finally got mine in and put it all together today. I think that I blinded myself. Got a couple of heat sinks from goodwill one is a little better but has a round copper piece on the bottom that makes it hard to mount the LED emitter, so I used a different one that was just flat on the bottom. have not tested it yet over a tank, the silicone I used to glue the lens and reflector on is still drying. I got the 20K and one thing I noticed from just shining it on a was is it has some color separation the lens focuses the light in strips of blue and yellow (not really yellow but yellower). I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

One more thing, the switch I got was a normally open switch so I did not use it, on ebay it said normally closed but testing it works opposite.

One more thing, the switch I got was a normally open switch so I did not use it, on ebay it said normally closed but testing it works opposite.

Are you talking about the thermal switch? If so, I have an extra one in the garage I bought thinking that I would build a second fixture and I havn't had time yet. If your free on Saturday the 19th I was going to have the club meeting at my house and you could have that one for what I paid for it ( like $3.00 I think) Here's a link to what I bought :

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/180549429563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649