50w LED Spotlights? Anyone using these?

AquaticEngineer

*subscribed*

I'm totally contemplating this for my 300g freshwater. I've already got LED lighting on my 125g (Marineland) and my 55g (DIY) show tanks but I really like the idea of these higher-wattage "fixtures" that I can set up like pendants. Saves me a ton of soldering and wiring emitters onto a heat sink and even more money!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*subscribed*

I'm totally contemplating this for my 300g freshwater. I've already got LED lighting on my 125g (Marineland) and my 55g (DIY) show tanks but I really like the idea of these higher-wattage "fixtures" that I can set up like pendants. Saves me a ton of soldering and wiring emitters onto a heat sink and even more money!

That was one of the reasons I liked these as well, I didnt want to have to solder an entire array of 3w LEDs. With this light I will have a total of 2 solder points and 2 wire nuts and I am done.

Any noticeable effect on your corals? I tried a very early cheapo led over my reef tank as a spot on a clam, and the light was visibly brighter than 4 54 watt t5ho bulbs next to it and the clam reoriented toward it. Then I tried a super bright LED from Ikea over the clam and another over a chalice. Burns holes in the coral. Oops.

Kate

This heatsink is designed for the 10-100w sized multichip LEDS. Its designed be be used with a fan on it instead of having a large surface area to dissipate the heat on. This one is definitely less efficient than using a larger heatsink, but I was going for a very compact design overall so it was a tradeoff I was willing to make.

o my goodness iam loving the Look without the optic on there you are very tempting with this its saves energy and heat!!!! i would love to see this in person when you have it done and i might get the 20k do they make them in 15 k ?

I like it too, I dont know if you can see it in the video but there is a ton of over hang on the light pattern. You can see it hitting the wall when I have it anywhere besides a few inches over the tank. So I'm hoping the optic will let me put the light more like 2-3ft over the tank and get the same spread.

I dont know what all spectrums for sure they make them in, but they do sell on Ebay a 10k, 12k, and 20k. I dont know how true the spectrums are though and if you go with one of these as a primary light I would invest in a higher quality bulb like one from Bridgelux.

Well we got a PAR meter under the 50w LED last night and here's what we got:

8" it was putting out 300 par.

12" down it dropped to about 180

16" down it dropped to 100 or so.

Keep in mind that this ratings were measured without any optics on it, and right now this light is casting almost as much light out to the side as it is straight down. I should have a 60 degree optic sometime this week which will direct all of that escaping light downward and then we will retest it again.

We are going to see how it looks with the optics and then decide if we want to change bulbs.

It is a 6500k white LED, I think the next step on bulbs will be the 20k bulb and see if that is too much and then we will know if we need to supplement it, or step back to the 12k.

Heres links to those bulbs:

50W 20K LED BULB $51.99

50W 12K LED BULB

50W 20K LED BULB FOR A LITTLE CHEAPER $39.99

I have to re-wire the whole setup because I fried the converter plug that was running the fan when we were testing it. But it gives me the chance to move the LED driver into its own little prject box closer to the plug in so that the only thing sitting over the tank will be the LED, heatsink, and fan to cool it.