Noob Zoa Growout Contest Begins!!!

Alright everyone yesterday this started. I'm still waiting to hear from Lowman. I got a PM back the other day stating that he was going to post up his pictures yesterday. I'd hate to have him get DQ'd right off the bat so I will give him till tonight to post up a picture and a polyp count.

Update: I got home from work today and 2 had floated off. I tried to grab one, but it floated right through my fingers and the koralia sent it off. I can see them both, but am not going to get them. Hopefully they will attach and I'll have a little colony in the very back of the tank someday. (laugh)

Official polyp count is now 3. DOH!

Anyone else having issues with polyps falling off. I don't want this to be round 2 of this contest not getting off the ground. This also happened in the last growout contest so now I'm getting worried.

So far I have these people who have contacted me with polyps falling off:

Xrayguy

Sharoleb

Mr S

I personally don't care if we change the polyp count this early in the game but this is a one time chance so you all better look at your frag closely and start to glue down those polyps some more if you think they are going to float off.

Also I have still yet to hear from Lowman other than him saying that he is going to post up pictures every night. Not trying to hang him already as I'm sure he is busy with work and real life but I will give him till Friday to post up a picture. After that he got a frag.

I have noticed that some of my polyps seem to be hanging on by a thread. I was also wondering, are we just going off final polyp count or most polyps grown or a percentage of increase. Like if i start with 5 and end up with 20 is it going to be 20 total, 15 grown, or %300 increase?

We are going by additional polyp count. Not percentage. So just like you said if your frag had 5 polyps and now you have 20. You would have 15 additional polyps at the end.

I glued mine down as well but especially with zoas we need to look at them daily for the first bit after being fragged. I can tell you first hand since I had a red hornet fall off the plug. DOH!

bummer on the hornet, every time i have a zoa fall off the plug i like to imagine it getting a grip in a spot with good light but not where i can see it, so maybe some day when im moving stuff around i will find a secret stash of zoas i thought i lost. lol

I will give my frag a good thorough inspection today and glue up any loose polyps.

Dude u guys are trashing the growout thread lol! Where are the mods lol?

Just as an fyi percentage is a more fair way to do this than polyp count as those who started with more polyps have an advantage having been a grower. Its not rocket science that if u start with 2 more polyps odds are u will end up with more polyps as growth tends to be exponential.

Ok percentage it is then

Just as an fyi percentage is a more fair way to do this than polyp count as those who started with more polyps have an advantage having been a grower. Its not rocket science that if u start with 2 more polyps odds are u will end up with more polyps as growth tends to be exponential.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Ok percentage it is then

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

You are a push over

Kims remark would be valid or have some validity if the total of the polyps where all connected in one single mat not a colage of polyps-

being most are having to reglue the polyps that have or are coming unglued that in itself is going to stunt the growth-Is it to late to cut my frag by 75% and start with say 1 or 2 polyps(laugh).

Kim I still plan to whoop your *** even with 6 polyps tied behind my back

The percentage theory does not work in this case-I dont mind whatever you decide to do but thought i should at least point that out since it is not black and white

Yeah Brad is off his rocker right now....(laugh)

I''m off work on Wednesday and Thursday this week. Let me know if either of those days works for you. I could also bring it out to you on Tuesday night after I get off work.

Jesse I can take it if you want or Brad could although it seems he has gone off his medications lately...(laugh)

i aggree with Brad.(scratch) Just because Kim asked, you do it? is she somekind of puppet master?(scary) i would have picked a different frag then.(naughty) i hope i have sturred it up just enough for(popcorn)

i aggree with Brad.(scratch) Just because Kim asked' date=' you do it? is she somekind of puppet master?(scary) i would have picked a different frag then.(naughty) i hope i have sturred it up just enough for(popcorn)[/quote']

No it was merely based on the fact that she actually responded unlike anyone else here until I had made the comment. I guess it was my bad that I should have explained this myself but seeing that it's going to continue to be an issue I will take a look at it in the next couple of days and come up with a definative answer.

i aggree with Brad.(scratch) Just because Kim asked' date=' you do it? is she somekind of puppet master?(scary) i would have picked a different frag then.(naughty) i hope i have sturred it up just enough for(popcorn)[/quote']

There was nothing in my statement that asked for a rule change by the way. I was just stating the obvious that going by polyp count meant those who had more polyps would have an advantage and if you were truly looking at who was the best grower, going by percentage would provide the most information. I'm curious Topher, would you have picked a frag with fewer polyps if you knew about a rule change? (scratch) How would that give you and advantage? Am I missing something?(scratch) I really don't care either way. I'm not going to lose sleep over this :). I'm just curious.

You are a push over

Kims remark would be valid or have some validity if the total of the polyps where all connected in one single mat not a colage of polyps-

being most are having to reglue the polyps that have or are coming unglued that in itself is going to stunt the growth-Is it to late to cut my frag by 75% and start with say 1 or 2 polyps(laugh).

Kim I still plan to whoop your *** even with 6 polyps tied behind my back

The percentage theory does not work in this case-I dont mind whatever you decide to do but thought i should at least point that out since it is not black and white

Brad you have been off your meds and we discussed this already. (laugh) There are lots of factor that can affect growouts and there is a fair amount of luck as well. Whether it is all in a mat or not the total amount of polyps does make a difference. This is why when we do growouts I try to get the most polyps I can. One: the more polyps the less likely you are going to lose all of them. It's the same principle of having a bigger cut chalice frag. Small tiny frag likely to have the entire thing melt, Bigger one no necessarily. I was just letting the group as a whole know since they may not be aware and that making it a percentage would make it more fair. If I had 1 zoa and you had 2 zoas there are just better odds that you are goign to get growth more chances. Going from 5 polyps to 10 ( you have doubled your growth) is more growth than 7 polyps to 13. Am I missing something? How does having a smaller polyp count to begin with give anyone an advantage if the rules changed to percentage?(scratch)

do you feel like you're caught in the middle?(daz) i know you cowboy fans like to stick together(laugh) i don't always have time to check post so i missed some of these discussions. i liked the polyp count better than percentiages. seems to be in line with the rules stated on your first post of this thread too. Looks like Kim could do another pole.LOL

do you feel like you're caught in the middle?(daz) i know you cowboy fans like to stick together(laugh) i don't always have time to check post so i missed some of these discussions. i liked the polyp count better than percentiages. seems to be in line with the rules stated on your first post of this thread too. Looks like Kim could do another pole.LOL

I could do a poll but most people with fewer polyps would probably go with the percentage. I don't care either way as I also agree we all agreed to the rules. I'm just curious. Am I missing something? How does changing the count to percentage give people with a higher polyp count a disadvantage? Or is it that those with frags with more polyps just don't want to lose that advantage however little it may be?

if you started with one polyp, you would have 100% growth with every new polyp. if you had eight you would need 8 new polyps for 100% growth. i have had three single polyp frags of the same zoas(fraged at the same time) that grow at different rates and they are right next to each other in my frag tank. 1 has 3, one has 4 and one has 6 that is a 200% growth difference. the same time i frageed these i put 2 three polyp frags on a plug. -600% growth on those 0 left, they all melted irt is not a perfect science on the rate of growth on zoas( the six polyp frag went to another tank so results are skued a little on that one.) it realy comes down to luck as you said but if you are going to play the percentage game, you chances of hitting a larger percentage will be more easily acheived with a smaller starting polyp count. this is like math and my head is hurting(scratch)

There was nothing in my statement that asked for a rule change by the way. I was just stating the obvious that going by polyp count meant those who had more polyps would have an advantage and if you were truly looking at who was the best grower' date=' going by percentage would provide the most information. I'm curious Topher, would you have picked a frag with fewer polyps if you knew about a rule change? (scratch) How would that give you and advantage? Am I missing something?(scratch) I really don't care either way. I'm not going to lose sleep over this :). I'm just curious.[/size']

Brad you have been off your meds and we discussed this already. (laugh) There are lots of factor that can affect growouts and there is a fair amount of luck as well. Whether it is all in a mat or not the total amount of polyps does make a difference. This is why when we do growouts I try to get the most polyps I can. One: the more polyps the less likely you are going to lose all of them. It's the same principle of having a bigger cut chalice frag. Small tiny frag likely to have the entire thing melt, Bigger one no necessarily. I was just letting the group as a whole know since they may not be aware and that making it a percentage would make it more fair. If I had 1 zoa and you had 2 zoas there are just better odds that you are goign to get growth more chances. Going from 5 polyps to 10 ( you have doubled your growth) is more growth than 7 polyps to 13. Am I missing something? How does having a smaller polyp count to begin with give anyone an advantage if the rules changed to percentage?(scratch)