Hey guys

Chindo

Welcome. this forum is a great source of information related to this hobby. I would not limit yourself to this forum alone though. Check out the "EVERYBODY CAN HELP IN THIS. THAT MEANS YOU" thread over in the general forum. It contains a large list of internet resources to supplement this forum that many of us have found useful. In particular it has many tips regarding the setup of a new tank. (Plumbing ideas, etc.)

Also let us know what your plans are and perhaps we can help keep you headed in the right direction so you have a successful start in this hobby. (patience is key)

Thanks guys.... I came across this forum on google... Im picking up a 50 gal tank tomorrow and start setting that up as well... I got a few question about how to get everything going from protein skimmers to how to maintain the tanks but i wanna do a little reading thru the sight first and im sure i'll answer some of my question... so far Ive just had trouble with my tank getting really cloudy very easily.. Im thinking its cause of the light sand i have mixed in with the live sand, does this happen normally and i just need to give it time to settle? thanks

Thanks guys.... I came across this forum on google... Im picking up a 50 gal tank tomorrow and start setting that up as well... I got a few question about how to get everything going from protein skimmers to how to maintain the tanks but i wanna do a little reading thru the sight first and im sure i'll answer some of my question... so far Ive just had trouble with my tank getting really cloudy very easily.. Im thinking its cause of the light sand i have mixed in with the live sand' date=' does this happen normally and i just need to give it time to settle? thanks[/quote']

Letting the sand settle can always take some time. How much live rock do you have in the tank?

Oh and welcome to the boards!

Did you rinse the sand first? If not then it will take even longer to settle. Even well rinsed sand will take a day or so. If there was a lot of powdery residue in the sand it can take a couple of weeks. As someone else mentioned wait a month or even 6 weeks to add any fish. The biggest mistake thise new to the hobby make is to put livestock in too early without the tank being fully cycled. Take the time to learn how to check your parameters. I suggest letting the tank fully cycle and then wait 2 more weeks before adding fish. (The reason for the extra two weeks is that many people think the tank has fully cycled when it really hasn't) This is a great chance to teach your children patience. The result will be more satisfying in the end though. (It will be harder to explain why a fish died if you go too fast)

I just picked up about 5lbs of live rock today.... and no I didn't rinse the sand... sounds stupid now but really wasn't thinking about it at the time

Doesn't really sound stupid. It took me a few times to figure it out myself. If there was a lot of powdery residue in the sand then the reason it will take so long is that the extra calcium in the tank will need to precipate out.

5 lbs. of live rock will get the cycle started but your probably going to want 20-40 lbs. more before your done. If your on a tight budget (I know I am) there are some options to save a bit of money.

Ya im trying to setup cheap and make the wife happy before i go crazy..lol.......Im still trying to fiqure out the whole plumping into the sump and what i have to use for filtration exactly... Im a DIY type of guy and its also more fun saying i built that rather than i installed that...

I know its only 5lb but im looking for some more on thisI heard that the LR shouldn't be to close to the glass..... how close is to close? also what are some good fish or inverts to start off with???

Thanks again Im glad i found a site like this one....

Ya im trying to setup cheap and make the wife happy before i go crazy..lol.......Im still trying to fiqure out the whole plumping into the sump and what i have to use for filtration exactly... Im a DIY type of guy and its also more fun saying i built that rather than i installed that...

I know its only 5lb but im looking for some more on thisI heard that the LR shouldn't be to close to the glass..... how close is to close? also what are some good fish or inverts to start off with???

Thanks again Im glad i found a site like this one....

There is nothing in this hobby that is cheap. Just tell the wife that you want it to all live since your spending money on it. You'll get some flack but it's well worth it. I'm on my 6th tank now in a year...(laugh)

Well i took some pictures of my tank setup.... hoping to pick up some more Live Rock this week. Let me know what you guys think.... also about my filter do you guys think it is sufficient enough??? i got a larger one its for up to a 50gal tank. I just don't want it to be nitrite factory like some say the Bio Balls are...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150118570743927&set=a.287559198926.145560.743503926&theater

and this is the MarineLand Filter with the bio wheel

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150118570958927&set=a.287559198926.145560.743503926&theater

Thanks

Well i took some pictures of my tank setup.... hoping to pick up some more Live Rock this week. Let me know what you guys think.... also about my filter do you guys think it is sufficient enough??? i got a larger one its for up to a 50gal tank. I just don't want it to be nitrite factory like some say the Bio Balls are...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150118570743927&set=a.287559198926.145560.743503926&theater

and this is the MarineLand Filter with the bio wheel

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150118570958927&set=a.287559198926.145560.743503926&theater

Thanks

I can't see what your using for filtration however most of us run a sump with a good protien skimmer for filtration along with live rock and perhaps some macro algae. The reason I suggested more live rock is because the more you have the more efficient it will be at processing the nitrates. Canister filters (if that is what your using) tend to require a lot of maintenance and usually turn into nitrate factories so most of us avoid them.

I need to change the setting on my camera cause the pictures were a little to big to upload..... whats the ideal size for the forum?

800 x 600 are the maximum dimensions and if I recall right the maximum file size is 380 kb.

If you can find someone that is selling live rock cheap (here, Craigslist, etc.) then that is probably the cheapest way to go unless you make your own. If you make your own though it takes 3 months or more before it can be added to the tank. (about half of mine is DIY) Another budget option is to order dry rock and then seed it with live rock. One nice thing about dry rock is that your paying for dry weight instead of wet weight so the mass will be greater. It takes a few months to fully turn into live rock but it can be done at the same time as your tank matures. (Unlike DIY which needs to be cured separate from the tank)