A few tank pics with my new camera & lens

Rick

I picked up a new camera and lens a couple of days ago and finally got a chance to take a few tank pics today. (It took me an hour yesterday to get all of the coraline off the front so I could get some decent pictures)

Comments are welcome. ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=10914

attachment.php?attachmentid=10915

attachment.php?attachmentid=10916

attachment.php?attachmentid=10917

attachment.php?attachmentid=10918

post-5811-141867785875_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867785879_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867785883_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867785887_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867785891_thumb.jpg

I liked your old pictures better, they were very clear and true, these seem to off in color or it may be my computer

the second set looks good

The first couple come across with a yellow'ish tint to me. Maybe this is what Steve is seeing too.

But they are good pictures!!

Keep taking Rick because you always have great pictures!!

What camera and lens are you using? I am looking at buying a lens for my canon it's a 100mm 2.8 macro.

Thanks Kris

Whoops forgot to put the camera and lens. The camera is a Canon 60d and the lens is the 70-200mm f2.8L II IS. I looked at the 100mm f2.8L Macro also but I really needed a Portrait and Wedding lens more than a Macro so I went with the 70-200 instead. (The 100mm would have also made a good portrait lens but for weddings I need the zoom)

I liked your old pictures better, they were very clear and true, these seem to off in color or it may be my computer

the second set looks good

I'm still getting the lens and camera dialed in. I'm also happier with the second set. Shutter speed was still a little slow with it but the aperture was better. Technically the camera should take almost identical pictures (same sensor and processor) however I'm finding that there are subtle differences in the filtering requiring a little different post processing.

The first couple come across with a yellow'ish tint to me. Maybe this is what Steve is seeing too.

But they are good pictures!!

Keep taking Rick because you always have great pictures!!

Thanks, after my lights come back on I'll take a closer look at the color again and compare it against the pics.

Good pics, but on my computer, they came across really really purple....

Congrats on getting the new camera!!

Thanks, My actinic is very purple (420nm). When I change it out I plan to go with something that is more blue instead (around 460nm).

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm still getting the lens and camera figured out so they are a big help.

New lens, New pics.

New lens, New pics.

I wasn't very happy with the lens I used for the previous pictures so I returned it and got a different one. So far I'm much happier with this lens now. The new lens is the Canon 70-200mm f4L. As always comments are welcome. (I'm curious what everyone thinks of these compared to the previous pictures)

attachment.php?attachmentid=10952

attachment.php?attachmentid=10953

attachment.php?attachmentid=10954

attachment.php?attachmentid=10955

attachment.php?attachmentid=10956

post-5811-14186775895_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867758954_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867758958_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867758962_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867758966_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Im curious what is shutter speed and aperture you use to get those great pictures. I seem to be struggling getting crisp pictures but I have a d3100 nikon with two kit lenses so ?

Start with 1/160 shutter and f5.6 aperture. Then set the ISO to 1600. You will likely need to make minor adjustments from there however I've found that to be a good starting point for aquarium photos. Also jump over to the meetings forum and find the thread titled "January 2011 Meeting Photography Powerpoint Presentation". It's a presentation I put together for the January meeting that goes over some of the basics to get started.

Start with 1/160 shutter and f5.6 aperture. Then set the ISO to 1600. You will likely need to make minor adjustments from there however I've found that to be a good starting point for aquarium photos. Also jump over to the meetings forum and find the thread titled "January 2011 Meeting Photography Powerpoint Presentation". It's a presentation I put together for the January meeting that goes over some of the basics to get started.

Okay thanks alot I will try that as soon as I get home.

looking nice so you are a canon Guy sweet and those are nice pics micro would be amazing to have or an angel lence that way you can get some funky looking pics !!!!

I'm just a photographer that happens to use Canon gear.;)

Hey Rick, great pics! So you returned the 70-200 f2.8L for the 70-200 f4L? To me that seems a little backward. The 2.8L lens is supposed to be pretty much the top of the line Canon lens. Not that I'll ever be able to afford one but what didn't you like about the 2.8? It seems that on the first set of pics, you just needed to do a little pp with the WB. I would assume you're shooting raw right? What sw are you using for pp? Canon recommends using their own sw for raw processing. Even more than PS. Something about the Raw algorithms being optimized for their cameras. I'll get some of mine posted up with the same sweet camera, except I'll be using a either a much cheaper Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro or the Canon 18-135.

Hey Rick' date=' great pics! So you returned the 70-200 f2.8L for the 70-200 f4L? To me that seems a little backward. The 2.8L lens is supposed to be pretty much the top of the line Canon lens. Not that I'll ever be able to afford one but what didn't you like about the 2.8? It seems that on the first set of pics, you just needed to do a little pp with the WB. I would assume you're shooting raw right? What sw are you using for pp? Canon recommends using their own sw for raw processing. Even more than PS. Something about the Raw algorithms being optimized for their cameras. I'll get some of mine posted up with the same sweet camera, except I'll be using a either a much cheaper Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro or the Canon 18-135.[/quote']

It was the Mark II which was supposed to be the latest and greatest however I was getting soft pictures when I knew I should be getting sharp ones. Since then I've talked to two other people that noticed the same thing. I figured if I'm paying over $2k for a lens it better be giving me sharp images. I took it back and replaced it with the 70-200mm f4 L lens (which I already knew would give sharp images) and the 24-70mm f2.8 L. I'm much happier with these now. Most of the pictures I took at the Oregon Coast last monday (http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?26468-Oregon-Aquarium-Hatfield-Marine-Science-Center-and-More) were using the 24-70mm with the 60d. The shots of the birds are the exception. I used the T2i with the 70-200mm for them to get some extra reach. (I had a few people do double takes when they saw me carrying two cameras)