DSLR Questions???

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One critical problem I see with canon is they sell kits with EF-s lenses. The -s means "shortback". They only will work with shortback compatible bodies, and it is likely future sensor sizes will cause them to not make shortback bodies even for the cheap consumer grade lines.

This has been a concern of many buyers now for 10 years since the first EFS lens and camera came out. (In 2001 if I recall correctly) In reality more of the Pro/Semi-Pro cameras (All brands) are downsizing to the smaller sensors instead rather than upsizing to the larger ones. I expect the trend to continue and I suspect that we might even start seeing EFS lenses with the L designation. (Some of the EFS lenses already use L glass without the L designation)

On an interesting side note micro four thirds cameras are designed from the ground up around the smaller sensors (Not compatible with any older 35mm lenses) and are gaining popularity.

So now that I've played around with the camera a bit I am still struggling a bit. My dad has some old lenses (one happens to be an old macro lens) and all of the pictures are basically black. I try to get the flash to work on the camera body itself and it says "flash is in ttl mode". I researched this out online but it still doesn't really help me. Any suggestions? Do I just need to get an external flash for the camera to get this to work?

So now that I've played around with the camera a bit I am still struggling a bit. My dad has some old lenses (one happens to be an old macro lens) and all of the pictures are basically black. I try to get the flash to work on the camera body itself and it says "flash is in ttl mode". I researched this out online but it still doesn't really help me. Any suggestions? Do I just need to get an external flash for the camera to get this to work?

we need to know what lens your using, there are certain types of lenses that will not work on that camera.

we need to know what lens your using' date=' there are certain types of lenses that will not work on that camera.[/quote']

Ahhh. It's a really old one. I couldn't even find any specific specs on it. Let me see if I can research it out. I could get some sort of an image but it was really dark due to not having a flash was my guess.

if its a non cpu lens it can be used in mode M' date=' but exposure meter does not function and electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or more[/quote']

Yeah I switched it to mode M but the flash would not be accepted. I wasn't sure if there was some way of forcing it to use flash or not.

Yeah I switched it to mode M but the flash would not be accepted. I wasn't sure if there was some way of forcing it to use flash or not.

you should have a flash button on the side of the body somewhere, when you hold it down you can cycle modes with the thumb wheel.

you should have a flash button on the side of the body somewhere' date=' when you hold it down you can cycle modes with the thumb wheel.[/quote']

Sounded like a really good idea to try but for some reason that didn't work. It continues to say "Flash is in TTL mode. Choose another setting or use a CPU lens."

looks like you need to run it in either A' date=' P or S mode to mess with the flash and speed settings when your using a noncpu lens.[/quote']

Sounds like this lense isn't going to work for this camera then. It says the same thing in every single option other than the M mode.

not sure' date=' probably need to talk to a local pro, because that i am not.[/quote']

No worries. Was just hoping that this old lense would have worked for close up shots. Otherwise the camera is great!

Here is a link to a lense that is similar to the one that I got from my dad. He has a collection of all sorts of cameras and parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-55mm-F3-5-55-3-5-Micro-Nikkor-PC-Lens-Excellent-/130495555244?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item1e622426ac

you should be able to use it. theres just probably some setup in order to get it to function properly. welcome to the wonderful complex world of SLR. its not just P&S now baby!

Yeah no doubt. Rick has been a huge help as well so far. I will talk to my buddy. He uses Cannon but his girlfriend uses Nikon so I'm sure they have the answer to it.

Thanks again for trying.

Set the camera to M. Set the aperture on the lens to f3.5 and the shutter speed to 1/60. You should be able to at least get a picture. (We can go further with the settings after you know it will take a pic) This lens will not have any settings that the camera can control (aperture or autofocus) so they will need to be set using the lens. The camera will still control the shutter speed and will probably have auto focus confirmation (will let you know when it is in focus).

So now that I've been playing with the camera for a few days I think that I will need to really take a class on how these things work. Sorry Rick I have yet to go through the slide show you setup a few months back but I plan on focusing on that tomorrow when I get off of work. Here is a picture I just shot and it looks ok but when everything is so close to each other how do you get it to focus on what you want? Or is it the lens that I am using that is causing this?

Picture165.jpg

I was trying to focus better on the la lakers in the background, but it kept focusing on the front aussie pe's instead. I just buzzed through the powerpoint presentation and I'm going to try a few different things that I read in that as well. I've got to start working on the white paper flash trick as well.

I was trying to focus better on the la lakers in the background' date=' but it kept focusing on the front aussie pe's instead. I just buzzed through the powerpoint presentation and I'm going to try a few different things that I read in that as well. I've got to start working on the white paper flash trick as well.[/quote']

You need to switch the camera to use single point focus. It's probably set to choose among several points right now which can make it difficult. This is made even worse due to the narrow depth of field your working with. By switching to single point you will be able to choose a specific focus point without the camera guessing.