Anyone keep poison dart frogs? or any other frogs?

MVPaquatics

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife an I were considering keeping our Bowfront and making it into a plant table. We were going to try like a cactus garden or something like that but maybe something like this would be neat. Is there a list of plants they can live with or need? How much water do they need? Im guessing they need to be completely contained or will they stay where its wet and humid? How much do they cost and where do you get them? Are there any other interesting critters that can live with

them?

Cactus probably wont like that enclosed setup. However, I would recommend any tropical species. They usually require much less light and thrive in room temps or slightly above.

As far as a light of plants they prefer, they dont really care. These are the "rules" I follow. I setup the tank for the plants with the frogs as an after thought. These frogs could technically be kept on damp paper towels haha. The frogs require no light at all, no uvb or anything as in the rain forest it never reaches the forest floor (supplement D3 for that)

I use a false bottom. I have normal aquarium style tanks, and specifically made ones for frogs with doors. I prefer tanks with doors for a few reasons. First they are much easier to setup and maintain. It is so nice never to have to lift lights or hoods or anything. Also, the frogs seem to have an instinctive survival tactic to scatter when things come from above, but with doors the come to greet you.

To make a false bottom, I make an island of eggcrate and raise it about 3 inches above the bottom using PVC legs. This is where you can get creative with ledges and slopes and water areas. All mine have a water area in the front left corner about and inch deep. No water area is needed, but I find it looks more natural. If you choose you have one, you need to make sure it is easy to get out of! Frogs can drown easily, they really only come across puddles in nature. The eggcrate is then covered with screen (like for home windows) and then I add sterilized peat on top of that. I use small gravel for the water areas as slope, and the goal here is to not let the water and peat be in contact. Three inches or so gives you about an inch or 2 of water that will be used to create humidity and not be soggy. ONLY RO WATER!!! TAP water will kill frogs, I wont even use water conditioner! AND RO water leaves no water spots for misting.

Spray foam backgrounds are the ticket for vivariums. I use the black color and add driftwood ledges, stumps, and places for airplants to attach.

Plants are then added. Anything tropical that is not toxic to the frogs. I use earth stars, bromeliads, prayer plants, philodendron, tillandsia, ferns, etc. I avoid carnivorous plants. With air plants they need to be misted daily. RO ONLY! The frogs create the fertilizer for the plants.

The absolutely have to have a sure fitting lid. In our climate I would go 80% glass, 20% screen for vents. You want 70-100% humidity. Foggers are also cool to look at. I will fire mine up and get some pics! They will escape if they can and are so fragile I think of them like fish in that regard. They will break something from a fall, and pet will attack a hopping frog, their skin absorbs EVERYTHING! so no telling what toxins they will ingest. And their skin is like tissue paper, NEVER handle them!

Cost is all over the board. Shipping is worse than fish. It has to be over night and if it is outside their temp zone in any of the area they are traveling through most people wont send them (shipping dies around Dec-Feb and June-Aug= too cold or hot) A froglet of blue or yellow might run 50ish. Some can be kept in groups, others pairs or trios. Some expensive ones like my blue jeans might run $125+ each. Adults and proven pairs go up from there. I have a pair of blues I wouldnt sell for less than $250+, and a colony of 6 yellows for $800+. They can have a long lifespan, world record is 21 years at a zoo. I prefer to buy locally but supply is limited. I know a few breeders and a few shops. Sadly, the frogs are so delicate and expensive, and probably rare to sell that they dont stock many types, and the ones they do, they only have one frog = LAME! Reptile shows are always in town also, Between Seattle, Portland, and Salem/Eugene their is always one coming up soon.

Co-inhabitants. I am gonna go with my zoologist instinct here and just say no. It is a hot-topic, kind of like the tang/clam police, for people to keep multiple species of darts together. They are too limited in the wild, and hybridization is frowned upon by serious keepers. Others think its cool, and no doubt there are cool varieties but I dont go there!

Also, I have known people to keep other animals with them. It is russian roulette. Some people think small lizards and such, anoles and geckos. You are just asking for it. I usually see it in HUGE setups like many hundred gallons or full rooms and there is so much money invested that they simply dont worry about it. I dont go there either. I am a purist in that regard.

These animals are one of my favorites but aren't for everyone. They arent for handling, and are just as fragile as corals/fish. They can also be expensive and time consuming to setup properly. Trust me, you want to research as much as possible before setting it up, and take your time because you DO NOT want to have to take it down and start over again, a well setup vivarium is like a reef tank without the water changes. literally the only thing I do to them is feed, keep the misting resevior topped off, trim the plants, and add more soil once a year.

Please ask any questions about anything! Setups, feeding, frogs, etc. I love talking frogs and helping in anyway possible (as you can tell from the lengthy post, that is scattered all over the place!) what can I say? I love it!

I keep darts' date=' have two vivs with pums and cobalts! if your on dendrobaord my screen name is dart666[/quote']

SWEET! Throw up some pics! where did you get the pums? I am thinking about getting some more cobalts. I am still kicking myself for selling them, but someone offered a stupid amount to walk out with the entire setup. Funny how you can do that with frogs not fish!

SWEET! Throw up some pics! where did you get the pums? I am thinking about getting some more cobalts. I am still kicking myself for selling them' date=' but someone offered a stupid amount to walk out with the entire setup. Funny how you can do that with frogs not fish![/quote']

I buy all my frogs off the dendro site... all give you some eggs for free from my cobalt pair if you want to take a shot at raising the tads. give me a ring I think I have eggs right now! Josh (503)933-7745

Cactus probably wont like that enclosed setup. However, I would recommend any tropical species. They usually require much less light and thrive in room temps or slightly above.

As far as a light of plants they prefer, they dont really care. These are the "rules" I follow. I setup the tank for the plants with the frogs as an after thought. These frogs could technically be kept on damp paper towels haha. The frogs require no light at all, no uvb or anything as in the rain forest it never reaches the forest floor (supplement D3 for that)

I use a false bottom. I have normal aquarium style tanks, and specifically made ones for frogs with doors. I prefer tanks with doors for a few reasons. First they are much easier to setup and maintain. It is so nice never to have to lift lights or hoods or anything. Also, the frogs seem to have an instinctive survival tactic to scatter when things come from above, but with doors the come to greet you.

To make a false bottom, I make an island of eggcrate and raise it about 3 inches above the bottom using PVC legs. This is where you can get creative with ledges and slopes and water areas. All mine have a water area in the front left corner about and inch deep. No water area is needed, but I find it looks more natural. If you choose you have one, you need to make sure it is easy to get out of! Frogs can drown easily, they really only come across puddles in nature. The eggcrate is then covered with screen (like for home windows) and then I add sterilized peat on top of that. I use small gravel for the water areas as slope, and the goal here is to not let the water and peat be in contact. Three inches or so gives you about an inch or 2 of water that will be used to create humidity and not be soggy. ONLY RO WATER!!! TAP water will kill frogs, I wont even use water conditioner! AND RO water leaves no water spots for misting.

Spray foam backgrounds are the ticket for vivariums. I use the black color and add driftwood ledges, stumps, and places for airplants to attach.

Plants are then added. Anything tropical that is not toxic to the frogs. I use earth stars, bromeliads, prayer plants, philodendron, tillandsia, ferns, etc. I avoid carnivorous plants. With air plants they need to be misted daily. RO ONLY! The frogs create the fertilizer for the plants.

The absolutely have to have a sure fitting lid. In our climate I would go 80% glass, 20% screen for vents. You want 70-100% humidity. Foggers are also cool to look at. I will fire mine up and get some pics! They will escape if they can and are so fragile I think of them like fish in that regard. They will break something from a fall, and pet will attack a hopping frog, their skin absorbs EVERYTHING! so no telling what toxins they will ingest. And their skin is like tissue paper, NEVER handle them!

Cost is all over the board. Shipping is worse than fish. It has to be over night and if it is outside their temp zone in any of the area they are traveling through most people wont send them (shipping dies around Dec-Feb and June-Aug= too cold or hot) A froglet of blue or yellow might run 50ish. Some can be kept in groups, others pairs or trios. Some expensive ones like my blue jeans might run $125+ each. Adults and proven pairs go up from there. I have a pair of blues I wouldnt sell for less than $250+, and a colony of 6 yellows for $800+. They can have a long lifespan, world record is 21 years at a zoo. I prefer to buy locally but supply is limited. I know a few breeders and a few shops. Sadly, the frogs are so delicate and expensive, and probably rare to sell that they dont stock many types, and the ones they do, they only have one frog = LAME! Reptile shows are always in town also, Between Seattle, Portland, and Salem/Eugene their is always one coming up soon.

Co-inhabitants. I am gonna go with my zoologist instinct here and just say no. It is a hot-topic, kind of like the tang/clam police, for people to keep multiple species of darts together. They are too limited in the wild, and hybridization is frowned upon by serious keepers. Others think its cool, and no doubt there are cool varieties but I dont go there!

Also, I have known people to keep other animals with them. It is russian roulette. Some people think small lizards and such, anoles and geckos. You are just asking for it. I usually see it in HUGE setups like many hundred gallons or full rooms and there is so much money invested that they simply dont worry about it. I dont go there either. I am a purist in that regard.

These animals are one of my favorites but aren't for everyone. They arent for handling, and are just as fragile as corals/fish. They can also be expensive and time consuming to setup properly. Trust me, you want to research as much as possible before setting it up, and take your time because you DO NOT want to have to take it down and start over again, a well setup vivarium is like a reef tank without the water changes. literally the only thing I do to them is feed, keep the misting resevior topped off, trim the plants, and add more soil once a year.

Please ask any questions about anything! Setups, feeding, frogs, etc. I love talking frogs and helping in anyway possible (as you can tell from the lengthy post, that is scattered all over the place!) what can I say? I love it!

WOW, nice post! I was really, really wishing they could stay together. I figured a 155 Bowfront would make a wonderful habitat for quite a few of these but it seems you would have to partition the heck out of it with museum glass for the appearance of all together

WOW' date=' nice post! I was really, really wishing they could stay together. I figured a 155 Bowfront would make a wonderful habitat for quite a few of these but it seems you would have to partition the heck out of it with museum glass for the appearance of all together[/quote']

Allot of people just use realistic looking barriers like rock or fake mountains as a way to block sections off.

• 7 months later...

Awesome! I think I am going to go to the expo. I might go with the guys from The Oregon Aquarium, they are looking for a massive iguana for the new aquarium. Always looking for good deals, new products and ideas, as well as meeting new people

Please do ask any questions! I have always wanted to do a write up on how I built my numerous vivariums but it is very time consuming!

Check out dendroboard.com. It is pretty much reef central for frogs. But like anything internet wise, look for tried and true methods when venturing into a hobby, get a baseline, then customize (thats my advice anyways). Like fish these can be spendy little buggers.

I have 4 species now (16 frogs total). Just got rid of 6. Probably wanting to get rid of two more (golden mantella and pumilio)

Built my first tank this week. Not bad for a noob. ;) Was a lot of fun. Foam background and made my own Veins. The biggest mistake I made is I didn't go BIGGER. Next week I'll do tank number 2. Then I'll be looking for frogs in the next few weeks.(naughty)

IMG_0775-1.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Awesome! Are those live plants? What did you use to secure the moss to the back? Did you do a false bottom? What kind of frogs you leaning tpwards? Maybe I can share some advice on pros and cons of different species (I have kept like a dozen kinds at least)

I have been helping the guys at the oregon aquarium setup and I have talked a few guys there into getting dart frogs and that was the first thing i told them is go one step bigger than you think you want because the decor really takes up space. Maybe they can pry some out of my collection...

Awesome! Are those live plants? What did you use to secure the moss to the back? Did you do a false bottom? What kind of frogs you leaning tpwards? Maybe I can share some advice on pros and cons of different species (I have kept like a dozen kinds at least)

I have been helping the guys at the oregon aquarium setup and I have talked a few guys there into getting dart frogs and that was the first thing i told them is go one step bigger than you think you want because the decor really takes up space. Maybe they can pry some out of my collection...

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, all live plants. As for false bottom I used hydroton, cloth layer then a blend of soil, Peat moss, Charcoal and sphagnum. For frogs starting with Two azureus. Back wall is made up of Great Stuff foam, Black GE II silicone and a mixture of Peat moss and sphagnum. Vines are natural Rope undone siliconed and dipped/rubbed in a mix of Peat moss and sphagnum. I have been reading a lot. Any advice is welcome.

I will be going bigger in the future. :) I can always use the two little tanks for holding new frogs or ?

How much did your terrarium cost to start' date=' MVP where do you get most of your frogs im interested in getting a couple[/quote']

If your asking me the Tank was 49.99, so about 100.00 or so total? But like anything you can spend as much or little as you want?

Nice frogs! Where did you end up getting them? They look like great stock! Went with two of my favorites. Make sure the blue jeans have some nice size bromeliads to see some really cool innate behavior with egg laying sites. My pair hang out almost exclusively in them

I recommend giving frogs a shot. They are much like corals in their sensitivity but imagine no water, much easier to deal with. The "hardest" part is keeping up on fruit fly cultures and trimming plants. PS where did you get your plants, they also look like nice specimens. You did great! Time to sit back and enjoy, then add more haha