opinions on filter socks

Mohaynow

opinions on filter socks  

1. 1.

• Essential, use it and change it frequently
    • Optional, helpfull but not necessary
    • A gimic created by the filter sock companies to sell more socks

Ok, so just how important are they really? Would I be an idiot for not using one? I've always had one just because everyone says ya need one. I understand the whole stopping stuff from getting sucked up into your pumps and catching uneaten food and whatnot. Just trying to get some opinions.

I use a filter sock, but its a PAIN in the patootie(Spelling?)....Partly becuase of my setup, but if it was easier to change out, I don't think it would be near the hassle...I kind of chaulked it up as just another method of filtration, and just another way of trying to keep the water as clean as possible, so if I look at it that way, as a pain it is to change out all the time, everything and anything helps...so I will keep using one.

sounds like the filter sock companies arm reaches far indeed. I suppose I will spend another hour or so squeezing my 320 pound derier under my tank to try to arrange a spot for the filter sock. Who knew changing skimmers would be such a pain. Thanks for the input everyone.

I have used them... but didn't change them as much as I should have because they are such PIA to clean.... that was until I purchased some of the nylon MESH kind instead of the felt! They are SO easy to clean and I will be using more of them

I have used them... but didn't change them as much as I should have because they are such PIA to clean.... that was until I purchased some of the nylon MESH kind instead of the felt! They are SO easy to clean and I will be using more of them

I've got some of both. Definitely agree that the nylon mesh ones are much easier to change. They were the same price for those as well and the still catch the big stuff. I do use both though in my tank. Just depends on what I grab out of the drawer when I'm doing my maintenance.

I think they are verry helpfull but only if changed frequently at least 2 times weekly or its no help, if not worse. I change mine around 4 times a week and it helps alot as far as keeping the excess nutrients down. IMO Anything that can be implemented to cut down on the amount of excess nutrients is a plus. Its all about water quality.

I've got some of both. Definitely agree that the nylon mesh ones are much easier to change. They were the same price for those as well and the still catch the big stuff. I do use both though in my tank. Just depends on what I grab out of the drawer when I'm doing my maintenance.

it filters out the big stuff.... but how do the mesh ones do on filtering out the little stuff???

I used to be against them and now I use a couple. It really depends on your tank design and your husbandry routine.

If you can do without, better. If you can't keep them clean.

Clean them with Hydrogen Peroxide instead of household bleach. There is a thread I started here somewhere and on RC too

If I could vote twice for essential I would...that and replacing sand probably 2 biggest reasons for success I've had since teardown and start over...every time I complain about changing them out (every other day), I remember that it is a helluva lot less work than hair algae...

DrMerle

They can become nitrate factories if you don't change them often.

I keep hearing that, and I do attempt to change mine, but don't as often as I should. But is a sock that isn't changed as often as it should worse in that respect than no sock at all? I seems like the "stuff" is going to break down somewhere else in the tank, if it isn't in the sock.

I keep hearing that' date=' and I do attempt to change mine, but don't as often as I should. But is a sock that isn't changed as often as it should worse in that respect than no sock at all? I seems like the "stuff" is going to break down somewhere else in the tank, if it isn't in the sock.[/quote']

Concentrating detritus in a localized area is not the same as having it spread in the whole system. The physical and chemical environment that a filter sock can generate is know for building up a significative nitrate level. Mostly because of the high content of oxygen due to the water flow through the filter sock in a fluid where ion exchange is easy. I think of them similarly as wet/dry filters for the way they can produce nitrates