March Meeting with speaker Matt Pedersen

Barelycuda

March Meeting with speaker Matt Pedersen  

1. 1.

• Marine Fish Breeding 101
    • Why Captive Bred?
    • Rethinking the Harlequin Filefish - care and breeding

I believe the first location we have chosen is the pioneer school in Portland where the last TFT tank was set up. I am trying to work on a location in Vancouver but won't know until tomorrow or monday. We locked in the school because it had to be reserved a minimum number of days in advance. We still have time to change but wanted to make sure we had a for sure location. The school will hold 100 people and has a screen and mic for Matt's presentations.

Dang two sunday meetings in a row. Wish I could make it but sunday is always a work day. Sounds like an awesome meeting though.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Actually I think this will be the third Sunday meeting in a row. I feel you I work every Sunday as well I think they plan it that way to keep some of us away.

Well all, plane tickets got booked today so it's set in stone! I'll be seeing you all on the 27th! And YES, breeding marine fish is my specialty...I like to call marine breeding the "final frontier" of the marine aquarium hobby! And no, we can't ALL breed clownfish! Looks like Fish Breeding 101 will be a good fit ;)

Also, my updated full bio (Dave found an old / short one I guess)

-----

Matt Pedersen is an interactive software developer and part-time fly fishing guide originally from Chicago, IL and current living in Duluth, MN, USA. Additionally, Matt has experience as a professional orchid breeder and certified fly rod builder.

Matt has been a marine aquarist for 24 years, and an aquarist for 29+. After spending time on every side of the aquarium industry (retail, commercial and private maintenance & installation, wholesale, hatchery), he currently considers himself a "professional hobbyist". Most recently, Matt has currently spawned 23 species of marine fish, successfully raising 9 of them to date including one worldwide first (the Harlequin Filefish, Oxymonacanthus longirostris), as well as attempted another 6 invertebrate species to date. Most all of this was accomplished with less than 100 gallons of total working capacity, and all in closed culture. In 2010, Matt Pedersen was selected as the breeder of choice to work with the now famous "PNG Lightning Maroon Clownfish" from the SEASMART program, and chronicles the efforts to propagate this one-of-a-kind fish online at The Lightning Project.

Matt Pedersen is credited with starting MOFIB (Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeder's Association) and writing for multiple publications including Coral, Koralle, Practical Fish Keeping, Marine Habitat, Reef Hobbyist Magazine and Reef Builders. Matt has spoken at numerous aquarium clubs and events from coast to coast. He currently sits on the MBI (Marine Breeding Initiative) Council, a project dedicated to bringing the concept of a unified Marine Breeder's Award Program to hobbyist organizations across the country and around the globe. In 2009, Matt was awarded "Aquarist of the Year" honors by both IMAC West and MASNA in recognition of his accomplishments and contributions to the marine aquarium hobby.

Last updated February, 2011.

Thanks Matt. I will update the original Bio in the first post.

NOW FOR THE NEWS THAT EVEN NOBODY ON THE BOARD KNOWS ABOUT. (scary)(scary)(scary)

I WILL BE DONATING ONE PAIR OF PLATINUM CLOWNFISH FOR THE RAFFLE AT THE MEETING.

Dave

Dang all the cool stuff happens when I don't get to go....(sad)