Freshwater Aquariums Anyone???

ShaunMonahan

My wife has one, and I have been getting the itch to to another one again, but now that I have the reef addiction, its hard to go back to freshwater...LOL, no but seriously there are some amazing freshwater tanks, and a nicely planted freshwater tank can be almost as beautiful as a saltwater reef in my opinion. I will have to snap some pics of my wifes 40g Column Planted tank....its very simple no CO2 or fancy anything, very simplicitic with plants, driftwood and some community fish.

I saw your other post on the really cool Black and Red Shrimp, did you have an ad on Craigslist a while back for them? I showed it to my wife and she flipped out wanting some for her tank...those are very cool!

did you have an ad on Craigslist a while back for them? I showed it to my wife and she flipped out wanting some for her tank...those are very cool!

Yes, that was my shrimp post on CL. Let me know if you want any shrimp...

Post some pics of wife's tank, I'd love to see it!

I recently built a 12x12x12 cube out of glass and have been itching to get some FW fish in it. I'd like to get some killifish and plants in there.

12x12x12, Nice! Clear silicone, or black? I like the igwami in smalll cubes, like this:igwamitank.jpg

The dwarf Baby tears, xmas moss with stone work killer!

Post a pic!

This is are older pics of my 16g bowfront:

h1.jpg

DSCN1067a.jpg

DSCN1068.jpg

h2.jpg

I have since transferred most of this set-up to a 30gal cube with a very similar config: 30gal cube with 96w power quad pc 50/50 lamp, magnum 350 pro w/ bio wheels returns + CO2 system (going to use on Ca reactor shortly)... NO CAMERA

Can you get slow growing plants, or do you just have to prune all the time? What kind of water params are you concerned with in FW?

There is a really cool plant leaf in the last pic you posted...kind of brown and spotted like a robin egg. kewl.

Blasphemy here on the reef community, I KNOW.... But you gotta admit, these are the next-best-thing to reef tanks, and they cost a LOT less to do/maintain. I love that I can just use tap water...

SO, how about "Freshwater Reef Tanks"? Have a look for yourself:

BTW, so sorry - now you've got an new itch to have a FW Planted tank.... Like you needed another hobby :)

Can you get slow growing plants' date=' or do you just have to prune all the time? What kind of water params are you concerned with in FW?[/quote']

It's totally different than saltwater. The only real concerns are NH4, NO2-NO3, and pH. Most the plants like acidic water (pH below 7) hence the CO2 + CO2 is rapidly consumed by the plants. If you run CO2, you may have to prune your stemmed plants every few days. Without it, every few weeks. There are many fully aquatic mosses that are very easy to keep, and grow slowly, that require almost now maintenance. It all depends on what you want to do, of course.

There is a really cool plant leaf in the last pic you posted...kind of brown and spotted like a robin egg. kewl.

Nymphaeamicranthea.jpg

This a not a great pic of that plant, Nymhae micranthea. It's commonly called a "4 color lotus" and they are considered somewhat of a rarity in the FW plant community. It's one of my fav's too... I have 6-7 bulbs of these in my tank :)

We have multiple FW tanks. We have a 150g african cichlid tank with a 40g sump. The tank has malawi cichlids, a black spot eel, and a fire eel. We also have a 150g south american cichlid tank with 3 oscars. My husband also has a 33 long planted tank and a smaller planted tank.

What are the blue fish in the bottom picture? Those are striking and look relatively small too...

They are Electric Blue Jack Dempseys, there was a cool article about them, in a Aquarium Mag I have at home, some people questioned if they where a hybrid and the originator of them had DNA testing done and it came back that they where actually Jack Dempsey's....They are very beautiful fish, spendy but beautiful...

OKOKOK love em.

So, what is the NO4 for?(Ammonium?)

Arent the fish sensitive to that? Not as much as ammonia I am sure, but I would assume NO4 not great for all fish...i must be wrong.

What makes one planted tank look so much nicer than another one? I have seen some real POS tanks, but now I am seeing some amazing things...i dont want a POS tank, nor do i want to waste 15 years of my life trying to figure them out...like i did with reefs....give me the secret dangit!