150 gallon sump?

TRENT

I have a new 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that I wanted to make into a sump. It would be placed in the garage (we don't park in their). I have a 120 mixed DT that I would run to the 150 gallon sump. This would cut down on noise, WC in the house, cleaner look and keep parameters more stable. Good idea or overkill? Thanks

Quick update, went with 1 1/2 Bulkhead for return. Had to make existing hole larger. Placed on rolling platform just incase I have to move it. Filled and waiting on water test. A few pictures. Will finish sometime next week. I may order 100 lbs of rock and cycle the rock before making it a usable sump.

As for the inlet bulkheads should I go with two 1" or one 1 1/2? These will be placed on the back wall (when looking at picture)? From tank to sump will be approximately 20'

DSC02759.jpg

DSC02756.jpg

DSC02754.jpg

DSC02753.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nice setup your gonna have:D..... I was thinking about doing something like this but my DT is a little to far from my garage...... wait i got the pantry on the other side of the wall... wonder if the wife would care having the sump in there..(scratch)

Nice setup your gonna have:D..... I was thinking about doing something like this but my DT is a little to far from my garage...... wait i got the pantry on the other side of the wall... wonder if the wife would care having the sump in there..(scratch)

Just forget to tell he until it's done. (naughty)

The pvc pipe is just for test purposes as it looks now' date=' right?[/quote']

Yes, just temp. I was going to design it that way until I realized that's a bad idea but nothing is glued, Easy fix.

Here is how it looks now, 15 gallon can with lots of Cheato.. Ordering 100 lbs rock soon. After it's cycled I'll put it online with the 120 DT.

DSC02855.jpg

DSC02853.jpg

I suggest you to go horizontally all the way right, to avoid the bubbles. Also you want to leave the dirty water on the sump for the skimmer to process it. The dirty water tend to stay on the top of a saltwater solution. Check out my rubbermaid plumbing. I think there is a thread named "supersump" or something like that