Fish for 125g FOWLR

VetGirl

I'd like opinions on stocking options for our 125g FOWLR tank. We'd like to do semi-aggressive fishes and really like triggers, tangs, and puffers. I've been reading forums on several sites and have noticed many rules of thumb (no tangs of similar shape, minimun tank sizes, etc) but when I see posted pictures of tanks, people often don't seem to follow the rules and everyone still complements their tanks. So, here are some species we are interested in keeping (but certainly not all of these together):

Blue Jaw Trigger (male)

Huma Picasso Trigger

Bird Wrasse (male)

Saddle Wrasse

Stars and Stripes Puffer

Maybe a yellow tang, maybe an snowflake eel, husband would like a clownfish...

Also, I have a friend that wants me to take a red snapper off his hands, but we'll see about that...

I've seen so many different things about maximum growth sizes of fish, minimum tank requirements, and compatibility. I would imagine a stars and stripes puffer will get too big for 125g, especially if he has to share it with other fish, but from the pictures I've seen, lots of people keep them. Also, is it possible to keep multiple triggers? My husband wants a picasso, but I would prefer a blue jaw. Which is less aggressive? I have seen pictures of people keeping three or four different trigger species together (and not always in huge tanks)--is this common? Help me pick out a trigger, maybe a puffer, and other fishes that will get along with them. Any suggestions appreciated--they don't have to be on my little list.

First off the blue jaw will be the least aggressive of those two.

I think you could have a very active tank with the Blue Jaw, Huma, Bird Wrasse, yellow tang, and one other fish.

I can't remember what a saddle wrasse is right now or a stars and stripes puffer so I'm not sure what to say about these two.

An eel could be a cool mixture with the above fish. BUT just remember they will all get large and create a big bio-load on the tank so filteration and water changes will be very important. I personally wouldn't put more then 4 fish and 1 eel or 5 fish in the tank. Give everyone some room for growth and let them have their own territory.

Just my $.02

What type of filtration is recommended for a FOWLR with this bioload? How frequent and what size water changes are needed? We have a Euro-Reef RS-135 skimmer and will have liverock in the sump and tank. Do we need more than this? We had thought about getting an ocean clear canister filter, but thought it shouldn't be necessary. Also, what order should we add the fish in (I assume blue jaw and huma triggers go last)?

Depends on their size but I would put the fish in, in this order wrasse, blue jaw and huma at same time if possible, then YT unless its really small. Thats if you do those 4 the eel can go in later, shouldn't be a problem.

I have heard alot of people use the 10% water change every week rule. For you 10 gallons a week or if you choose to do then every other week I go more around 25 gallons. But try to do it weekly with the feeding this tank will require.

Might want to try the canister filter as a carbon type filter so that's up to you. You can put it in a bag in the sump also., but other filteration might be required after you fill the tank up with all the fish. At first WC's should suffice since you have a sump.

Just my $.02 - someone with FOWLR might chime in with their maintance and more info.

Biweekly if not weekly water changes should be no problem (been doing it for years with my freshwater tanks). Since we are in the middle of plumbing everything, we might just go with the canister now. Would you recomend one with a micron filter as well as carbon, or just carbon?

• 2 weeks later...

So, we are thinking this will be our stocking list:

Bird Wrasse (male)

Blue Jaw Trigger (male)

Huma Picasso Trigger

Yellow Tang

+ one puffer?

Can anyone recommend a puffer that would get along with the other fishes and not outgrow a 125g tank? We would love to have a stars and stripes puffer (Arothron hispidus), but figure they get too big, depending on who you ask. I was hoping for all Hawaiian fish (these were all species we saw snorkeling/scuba diving in Maui and I have always shot for environmental/biotope tanks with freshwater), but hubby really wants a puffer, so any puffer that meets the requirements will do.

Thanks!

I tried a reef tank that had a Hawaiian Theme with the fish. I had some yellow pyramid butterflies, and a flame, potter's, and fisher's centropyge angels all in a 120. I also had naso tangs, desumieri tang, and a disappering wrasse (but was never shy). I hope you keep it a Hawaiian theme like how I kept mine. There is much more possibilities and there are also a couple of puffers from Hawaii as well. But there are no clownfish from Hawaii (unless they were released from people's tanks).

• 1 month later...

I'm curious as to which puffer you selected for your tank. I would think the Arothron hispidus would do well in a 125g, given the potential tankmates you describe. But I am no expert. Other choices may be better.

If you haven't selected one yet, how about the Hawaiian whitespotted toby (Canthigaster jactator)? Ever see them around? Here's a link: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=7844&genusname=Canthigaster&speciesname=jactator

It is mentioned in Robert Fenner's book as having much of the personality of larger puffers, and as being hardy and relatively peaceful (though an invertebrate nibbler and fin nipper). Please update when you get a chance.

As far as updates go, our tank has been cycling away and is about ready for fish I think. The last month has consisted of dead week, finals week, spring break, and starting the new term, so I have been a bit overwhelmed with school and things. Now that things are settling down again, I can focus on my tanks more.

When the triggers are full grown will a toby that size be able to hold it's own? That was my main concern with the smallers puffers--thanks for the idea though--we saw some pretty ones when we were in Hawaii and thought they would be cool to keep. I really need to talk to people who have had some of the fish I want (since I am so indecisive). I would like to know if anyone has kept sadle wrasse or bird wrasse? I am not sure which I want, but our sand bed is fairly deep so I think I can accommodate either. I have heard it is good to keep bird wrasses in pairs. At this point, the list looks like this:

Picasso Trigger

Blue Jaw Trigger

1 Saddle Wrasse OR 1 Green Bird Wrasse OR 1 Green and 1 Brown Bird Wrasse

+ ?

I figure the wrasse(s) should go in first, so if I get that decided, at least I can get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

The Rhinecanthus assasi (Assasi trigger or Picasso trigger) is described as being mild-mannered when small, but increasingly belligerent with age/size. I would think the toby could hold its own if you introduced it at the same time as a small Picasso. The Bluejaw trigger is known as one of the less aggressive triggers, so it shouldn't bother the Hawaiian whitespotted toby (or other fish) too much. This, however, is based on reading about these fish, not experience. And the tobies are fin-nippers, so . . . ? Your 125g should be large enough and, if it has plenty of nooks and crannies for hiding/escape, these fish would probably do well together in a fish-only tank. I'll leave it to others to speak on the wrasses; just thought I'd share what I read about the triggers and tobies.

• 3 weeks later...

More or less our final list--thanks for all the ideas! Now, what order should these fish be introduced into the tank (they will be quarantined first)?

Green Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius)

Picasso Trigger (Rhinecanthus aculeatus)

male Blue Jaw Trigger (Xanthichthys auromarginatus)

arc-eye hawkfish (Paracirrhites arcatus)

Hawaiian White Spotted Toby (Canthigaster jactator)