Coral Farmer's Market part II

Lowman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve and the organizers are hoping to draw 150-200 people to this event. If they can get that many it sounds like they will consider the event a sucess. The lastest one down south, (LA), drew 350 -400.

I think we can draw that many people. That number also included the vendors. So they want around 100 sold tickets.

Will there be flyers and ticket information to tomorrow's meeting?

I am wondering "being so new" if going will be "worth it" for me. My rock will be cycled, my tank will be stable, but I am still excited about getting the same old, same old from the stores around here and later trading with others. Just the thought of a normal old frogspawn gives me chills. I want to try my knives out on a few 'shrooms. Initiate my dremel on some poor LPS.

I may someday want to get into SPS, but if that is all that will be there... not too exciting.

Will there be presentations? speakers? free stuff? This may be exciting. If I can learn more about what I'll have by then it may be worth the $15. But $15 is a frag of something. If the stuff that they are selling is $40 a frag, that is too expensive for me. I am not really into the LE frag of this or that. It may look cool, but as a newbie I'd probably kill it off.

I would like to support this event, but... what would be in it for me? Maybe I can help man the PNWMAS table and give our fearless leaders a break from having to do ALL the work... IDK.

dsoz :)

• 3 weeks later...

Everything we do creates waste. In this day and age I think it's important to approach things rationally and consider resources used/wasted. Aside from the fact that it's a huge waste of jet fuel and auto fuel, I still don't understand what this event offers that could not be instantly reproduced on the internet...for free. No burnt fuel, no trash cans, and no plastic cups.

I realize I'm a tree hugger for even considering the environmental impact of my activities, but it's just one more reason this event seems misguided. just my .02

treehugger

Everything we do creates waste. In this day and age I think it's important to approach things rationally and consider resources used/wasted. Aside from the fact that it's a huge waste of jet fuel and auto fuel, I still don't understand what this event offers that could not be instantly reproduced on the internet...for free. No burnt fuel, no trash cans, and no plastic cups.

I realize I'm a tree hugger for even considering the environmental impact of my activities, but it's just one more reason this event seems misguided. just my .02

treehugger

Come on now, you are considering getting back into the hobby...you do not want people to buy wild caught, but when there is an option for people to buy frags from tanks you are not happy. As for gas, if people buy frags on the internet, their is gas being used to fly them here and more stryofoam is used and cardboard and paper to print the statements and bills, maybe we should not do any internet shipping, but then that leaves stores who order and waste fuel, so to you we might as well shut down this hobby.

I really feel this is your way of pushing treehugger.com, considering you just posted about a prius w/ the same site linked...

What I do not understand, is that if you are against this hobby so much, why are you on this site? I can assure that no one on this site is going to give up this hobby simply because you try and push the environmental card on us.

I see this event a a great opportunity to spread the word about our club and the reefing scene here in the area. Steve Tyree is giving us this opportunity based on the reception he received here during his last visit. Obviously he liked our club. And yes he is using us to promote his event, but we have can also use him to advance what we are doing.

So let's brainstorm here and give positive ideas and feedback so we can forward them on to him.

Like it or not this event is coming, so let's stay on track with positive ideas and feedback.

Thank you

Low,

There are two threads on this topic for a reason. I was under the impression that there was one thread for honest opinions either way, and another exclusively designated for 'positive feedback' :) which one?

I'm not trying to stop Tyree's advertising campaign, I just think opinions should be welcome even if they don't contribute to the advertising effort.

The other thread is for general discussion.

No one on this site is "greener" than I am, but do we really have to have negative rhetoric in every thread here? I tend to agree with reefgeek here. It seems that you are trying to push the treehugger site down our throats. I realize you are passionate about your opinions and respect your right to voice them. Heck, maybe you should rent a booth there to voice your opinions on the negative side of the hobby and natural exploitation.

hrm, had I linked to that site before? really?

some may see sustainable viewpoints as 'negative rhetoric', but that's a matter of perspective I think. The metaphor of 'shoving down throats' is also a personal perspective that might stem from a pre-existing aversion to alternate opinions. And that is all that I provided. Any position can easily claim that an alternate view is being 'shoved down throats' just because it does not conform to their opinion, I think. No worries, it may still be a great event.

There's a fee for information-only nonprofit booths?

More realistically though, if anyone is genuinely interested in providing sustainability-oriented information at an existing booth(imagine that), then speak up and I would be more than willing to help facilitate that effort. Maybe a 'conscientious reefkeeping tips' sheet, or poster?...on recycled pulp of course.

I am new, so excuse the jump in, but could I make a suggestion. When this comes up just don't talk about it? Just let it go? (Your counterpoint was very good though). If this user seems to make this a common topic (which it sounds like he does) why not stop responding, just everyone keep on topic? Just wondering?

Great Ideas

Piero, Lowman, Reefgeek. Great ideas. I think you guys came up with a great suggestion. I do like the idea of having mainstream and no so mainstream ideas mixed together and bringing the information to the "not so aware" consummer.

Without going to extremes, if you look at the mission of this club, the notion of conservation, preservation and education is very important. I do think that having someone savy about those issues that could bring the information to the public at the Market including the challenges we face with this hobby , pros and cons, dangers and threats would be a great contribution for this club. I would suggest that Piero put together some of that info and work with someone from the PNWMAS board to have the info represented without being militant.

I like reefgeek's dilemma about what is ecologically more friendly, ordering online or just locally. Does it make a difference? What does really need to be done to slow done the deterioration of our reefs? Where is the urgency? Can we do something as a group? Can we diminish the impact by the ways we practice the hobby? Maybe a top 10 list of things you should avoid or should do would be an easy way to convey some of that info, and let everyone think about it.

One alternative would be for Piero to get his own booth (maybe a non-profit). Either way would add the event! So I see it as a win win.

We can't all be treehuggers, but we sure do share a common hobby hopefully with the same philosophical understanding of what's at stakes.

As far as rhetoric on the threads, they make things more interesting as long as they are constructive. That's the secret ingredient (laugh)

Spread the wealth!

sound advice from saltfreak and bluecheese I think.

I'm sure you can understand if I'm a bit skeptical about that ball getting dropped Lowman. Given some the negative responses to the topic of sustainability and the timing of the claim, I don't think my skepticism is completely unfounded either.

I'm clearly not the best choice for a booth promoting sustainability in a nurturing manner to the less informed :). Regardless of whether such an event is justified or valuable though, I think it would be unfortunate if none of the participants made any effort to promote responsible reefkeeping directly in some way. Events like this seem like prime opportunities to promote responsible practices and show that the reefkeeping community cares not just about petty bragging rights and the next trendy organism, but also cares about real issues like the trade's impact on wild habitats, or even ocean conservation in general. If the topic is ignored or mentioned just as an obligation without any intent behind it, I think it reflects poorly on the community.