No power...HELp!!!! please

Mandinga

Tank is without power. A transformer exploded and caught fire in newberg this am...tank has been without power since 6:45am. Current temp 74.2 has gone down 1 degree.

How long do I have?

I am trying to find a generator as this could be some serious time.

Insight? Suggestions?

Make sure you have circulation as well! I am sure you know this. The water really needs to stay oxygenated also if you have a ups battery backup for your computer that will buy you a little time depending on the size of it. Also you could get a power invertor for your car and plug an extension cord and run some stuff off of that. Just make sure to keep your car running so you don't drain your battery

40 for a week? thats just crazy.

My brothers tank crashed 2 weeks ago. He was in the middle of moving and saved his tank for last. Since they were not living in the house any more he had the heat shut off in the house and thats when his heater went out. He didnt know exactly when the heater failed but it couldnt have been more than two days. When he found out it was 50 in his house and I think he said his tank was at 58. He lost everything except a plate coral. Poor kid, I had a hard time convincing him to stay in the hobby after that but he started cycling his tank a few days ago.

Well, skimmer quieted down finally. No losses. Thank God.

40 for a week? No way, everything would be dead. I'm not saying you were lying, but the shop musta been exxagerating. Two things cause rapid cell decay in Saltwater fish/coral...temp and pH. Maybe a few hours, a day at most...