120 gallon tank build

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well so far so good with the new fish addition. No pictures quite yet but the past two days were having the sailfin and yellow tang bully the new purple tang. Also my two clowns started to nip at it. Well today is a new day and they are all swimming as a pack now. pretty cool to see four tangs in my tank alive....LOL Ok I'm not going to jinx it quite yet so that's why I'm not posting pics but it's an amazing fish.

Tanks looking good. Are those the led's? I just ordered some with Jadams' buy, can't wait to get them over the tank!

PS is your avatar from the Portland Zoo? I think I just saw him last week.

I actually decided to not do the led's. They looked way too white even with 3/4 of them being blue. I'm going to do two Lumenmax 2 reflectors with a galaxy 250 ballast as well as adding T5's instead of VHO's.

And yes the avatar is from the zoo. We have a year pass so were going a lot more frequently. Probably the best investment I've done with having the kids. We can go and enjoy the zoo and not worry about missing stuff since we can just go back in a few weeks and go see it again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jesse did I see you are getting out???

To many threads, maybe it was you were scaling back.

If you are interested in LED's still you should stop by and check out my build. I know what you mean regarding the white, but the fixture I built I REALLY like, I presently have a 250 Radium over half the tank and my fixture on the other half-I used to really like Radiums and I till do but the fixture I built looks a lot better and still a little blue.

Here is a crappy pic. Radiums on the Left DIY on the right.

IMG_2877-1.jpg

Anyway your tank is STILL looking great

Jesse did I see you are getting out???

To many threads, maybe it was you were scaling back.

If you are interested in LED's still you should stop by and check out my build. I know what you mean regarding the white, but the fixture I built I REALLY like, I presently have a 250 Radium over half the tank and my fixture on the other half-I used to really like Radiums and I till do but the fixture I built looks a lot better and still a little blue.

Here is a crappy pic. Radiums on the Left DIY on the right.

IMG_2877-1.jpg

Anyway your tank is STILL looking great

As long as I can sell the biocube I can still keep the 120. My wife is out of work now and money is getting tight so something has to go. Worst case scenario I may just sell off a few things from my 120. Lighting wise I switched everything out and am now running a dual galaxy 250w ballast with 2 Lumenmax 2 reflectors. Lighting looks great now. I might switch back to LED's next year once things get a little better in color. I also might just switch out my VHO's to LED actinic strips though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This tank will be making a huge make over within the next few weeks. I plan on getting rid of most of the reef related items, only keeping a few frag racks and whatever is glued down really good to the rocks. I'm also getting rid of all of the nems and most of the fish. I've been spending too much time with the tank and not enough with the family. I will get back into reefing again soon but I think it's time to go a different route with the tank.

So that being said there will be some stuff for sale here in the near future. And look for some rays and sharks in my future!!!!!!!!!