Negative rep

J.R

Got a question for any of the folk around here that has had the unfortunate situation of getting negative rep.

I have a user here on the forum ask me if I could tell him who was dinging him with negative rep. I explained that he could see who gave him what rep by going to settings and look at what is listed. He told me that all he could see was the post link and the users comment for the negative rep but not the actually user who left it for him.

Since I don’t have any negative rep myself ( and no I don’t want any, thank you (scary)) can anyone who has gotten negative rep enlighten me on whether or not the user name never shows up on negative rep? I know it does for positive rep...

Thanks.

• Like 1

You have to be a paid member for the negative rep points to show up J.R.. Honestly the dinging with the negative rep points is so childish. If you don't like what someone has to say message them or post it in the forum. That's my style. The only negative rep point I ever gave out was to Lowman because he said Emmitt Smith could not hold Jim Brown's jock strap and it was meant in fun LOL. Emmitt Smith is sacred to me LOL!

• Like 2

Check with Algae, I think has a good grasp on red,green and pink rep points. LOL

Ditto what kim said. Anybody blasting a negative red point is a social intravert and hides behind a keyboard assuming it will protect them like the shield they used to have in Dungeons and Dragons...LOL! It's like a drive by shooting , but you use a mouse HAHAHA

• Like 2

Check with Algae, I think has a good grasp on red,green and pink rep points. LOL

Ditto what kim said. Anybody blasting a negative red point is a social intravert and hides behind a keyboard assuming it will protect them like the shield they used to have in Dungeons and Dragons...LOL! It's like a drive by shooting , but you use a mouse HAHAHA

Yes I would have to agree giving a negative point for a post is really child like. It just happend to me yesterday for my post and there is only one person I can think of that did it

• Like 2

Hmm, I didnt know you had to be a member to see who left you the rep. Thanks Kim, I guess that explains it!

I'm 50/50 with rep. It does allow the community to kinda self police when it comes to some posters being annoying, rude ect but it can sometimes get out of hand.

LOL Jon!

It says I have 54 rep points, but when I go to the settings, it only shows those points given that someone had actually left a comment as well, so I am guessing it only shows points with comments, and if someone gives you a point (good or bad) that if they don't leave a comment, then it won't show who did it? is that right? I only show about 10+ people giving me points but they left comments, I don't know who gave me the other 40+....

• Like 1

Ive only given out one bad rep point to my knowledge and it is to the person that use the boards as their own craigslist. They have been on the boards for over a year and the only postings they make are for sale threads and bumping up their thread. Thirty something posts and all are in the classifieds not a person that is contributing to the club imo.

• Like 1

Yes I would have to agree giving a negative point for a post is really child like. It just happend to me yesterday for my post and there is only one person I can think of that did it

Salty I hope you know it wasn't me. It's not my style. I will post directly if I have a problem or concern.

Hmm, I didnt know you had to be a member to see who left you the rep. Thanks Kim, I guess that explains it!

I'm 50/50 with rep. It does allow the community to kinda self police when it comes to some posters being annoying, rude ect but it can sometimes get out of hand.

LOL Jon!

Jon, as a moderator I think you have a way to see who actually gave out the negative rep point. I know Beth who is on the BOD can actually look and see who is giving them out. They used to all be anonymous and people would get dinged with red rep points all the time. It happens less now that it is out in the open. I think rep points should be out in the open for paid and nonpaid members.

It says I have 54 rep points' date=' but when I go to the settings, it only shows those points given that someone had actually left a comment as well, so I am guessing it only shows points with comments, and if someone gives you a point (good or bad) that if they don't leave a comment, then it won't show who did it? is that right? I only show about 10+ people giving me points but they left comments, I don't know who gave me the other 40+....[/quote']

David,

I thought they showed up now whether there was a comment or not. We could do an experiment and I could give you a positive one and see what happens and if you are really daring I could give you a negative one as a test without comments and hope the good people on this site give you 10 positives to make up for it. (laugh)

• Like 2

I will pay for my membership tonight when I get home from work so I can see who is giving me negative rep points for nothing

It's always good to have another card carrying member!

Jon, as a moderator I think you have a way to see who actually gave out the negative rep point. I know Beth who is on the BOD can actually look and see who is giving them out. They used to all be anonymous and people would get dinged with red rep points all the time. It happens less now that it is out in the open. I think rep points should be out in the open for paid and nonpaid members.

Actually I was LOL at Jon/newfisher's drive by post.

My name really is J.R! now you hurt my feelings Kim!

I kid...

anyways..The user asked me to look at his account to see if I could see his rep and I could not find his rep in his profile, i could only see what eveyrone else see's on a public profile. Maybe a BOD has more forum rights than a mod does, or thats another thing that changed when we upgraded the forum software. I just found out the other day that users cant lock their own threads currently. I was told it was something they are working on to get fixed.

• Like 1

I my personal opinion they should be removed period!

What do they get you? NOTHING!

What do they create? DRAMA!

Look an entire thread about them which really means nothing in the end. They are useless.

Agreed. We have lost people recently due to them getting negative rep points.

It's always good to have another card carrying member!

Actually I was LOL at Jon/newfisher's drive by post.

My name really is J.R! now you hurt my feelings Kim!

I kid...

anyways..The user asked me to look at his account to see if I could see his rep and I could not find his rep in his profile, i could only see what eveyrone else see's on a public profile. Maybe a BOD has more forum rights than a mod does, or thats another thing that changed when we upgraded the forum software. I just found out the other day that users cant lock their own threads currently. I was told it was something they are working on to get fixed.

Sorry J.R. I was thinking of you when I posted but saying Jon's (newfisher) name. What does that mean? I can still close threads that I have opened even after the upgrade and maybe it is only the BOD that can look at rep points and find out who was giving them out.

I love rep points by the way at least the positive ones! Maybe we should just get rid of the negative ones. I have yet to hear of anyone complaining about getting the positive ones except for Algae in his pink rep point diatribe LOL!

Sorry J.R. I was thinking of you when I posted but saying Jon's (newfisher) name. What does that mean? I can still close threads that I have opened even after the upgrade and maybe it is only the BOD that can look at rep points and find out who was giving them out.

I love rep points by the way at least the positive ones! Maybe we should just get rid of the negative ones. I have yet to hear of anyone complaining about getting the positive ones except for Algae in his pink rep point diatribe LOL!

Thats okay it only stung a little!

Did the closed thread option just come back? I ask because we had someone flag a post and ask for us to close it. Then I made a post trying to verify that users could lock their own threads because I could of sworn it was an option. I think it was Jay that came back and told me it was an upgrade problem.

Also for those who dont like rep I am pretty sure there is an option to turn it off in your profile setting..pretty sure...okay now i'm gonna have to check BRB.

P.S I dont blame him for not liking the pink. I'd rather not have any pink in my profile eigther!!!

I agree' date=' ditch the negative but keep the positive. The little green boxes make me happy. - I mean really - I am "A splendid one to behold" LOL you can't take that away from me! ha ha[/quote']

And I have a reputation beyond repute!(clap)(clap) How can the BOD take that away from me(sad)

Thats okay it only stung a little!

Did the closed thread option just come back? I ask because we had someone flag a post and ask for us to close it. Then I made a post trying to verify that users could lock their own threads because I could of sworn it was an option. I think it was Jay that came back and told me it was an upgrade problem.

Also for those who dont like rep I am pretty sure there is an option to turn it off in your profile setting..pretty sure...okay now i'm gonna have to check BRB.

P.S I dont blame him for not liking the pink. I'd rather not have any pink in my profile eigther!!!

Sorry J.R. Feel free to ding me with a red point I deserve it!(laugh) I was able to lock a thread of mine recently. I don't remember which one it was. It's just located in a different area but I didn't notice that it had gone away.

It was under moderation tools which only shows up if you start the thread or are a moderator or bod. Oh the power! LOL!

I love negative rep points -- giving and getting ;-) I wish people would lighten up, there's lots of things to get knickers twisted up about but a couple of negative rep points on the local aquarium club website ain't on my list.

And I have a reputation beyond repute!(clap)(clap) How can the BOD take that away from me(sad)

Sorry J.R. Feel free to ding me with a red point I deserve it!(laugh) I was able to lock a thread of mine recently. I don't remember which one it was. It's just located in a different area but I didn't notice that it had gone away.

It was under moderation tools which only shows up if you start the thread or are a moderator or bod. Oh the power! LOL!

(laugh) If you say so...reddot1.gif (whistle) (laugh)

Anyways, even though it took like 20 minutes to get into my profile I was able to confirm that if you go to general settings you can turn rep off. (FYI for the peeps who dont want rep)

• Like 1