120 gallon reef tank

mytshall

Well sorry I skipped all the progress shots and will fast forward to the finished product. Most of the work I needed to do was on the stand which needed to have holes drilled in it, fans put in the canopy, reflectors hung, T5 lights installed (hardest part), lined with mylar, hinges and handles put on, wiring my controller in, building a top for the tank, and making it look nice all the while. So even though it didn't seem like it was going to take much work it took me a while to get it where I wanted. Here is the final product:

P2160005.jpg

P2160006.jpg

P2160012.jpg

About the tank

Stand: was built by Coz(OIAB) and is made from eurobeach wood and stained dark

Tank: 120 gallon acrylic tank 4x2x2 with built in overflow at the center

Flow: (2) Vortech MP40s and (2) 3/4 sea swirls

Sump: MegaFlow 4 made by AllGlass

Protein Skimmer: BubbleMagus NAC7

Pump: Mag12 and maxijet 1200(refugium)

Lighting: PFO Dual 250W MH ballast and IceCap660

Bulbs: Artemis 20k MH and (4) 24" Geisman Actinics

I had a little bit of issues with fish because I had a powder blue in the reef that got ich and took out a couple fish. I got a UV light for the tank now. I am only going to have a couple smaller fish in there any way and will save the bigger fish including tangs for the FOWLR.

The red thing is a Acanthophyllia deshayesiana and it is my favorite thing in the tank. Part of the reason I needed a bigger tank b/c my 60 gallon was only 15 inches front to back and that thing was smooshed.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm surprised people think that the two vortechs on that size tank is crazy flow granted I only use them somewhere near the middle of there full power. I bought the 40's and ran them on my 60 gallon for like 6 months knowing I would upgrade tanks in the future.

Thanks all for the comments. I'm surprised people think that the two vortechs on that size tank is crazy flow granted I only use them somewhere near the middle of there full power. I bought the 40's and ran them on my 60 gallon for like 6 months knowing I would upgrade tanks in the future.

I have a MP10 on my 40 and on full blast it rips pretty good, I can only imagine what two of them would do, I for some reason figured two MP40 along with the seaswirls would produce some really nice flow, your saying you think it could use more flow?

I guess I thought it was too much flow for the 60g but not a 120. The sea swirls just spread around the flow from my mag12 which isn't much. No complaints though I would highly recommend the vortechs I've seen the results from them. I've cranked them to see what they are capable of and then my corals all start falling down.

• 7 months later...

Been a long time since i added new photos. I should have posted more so i could see the progress. Moving soon so figured id get some shots up before it changes

IMG_20110924_193219.jpg

IMG_20110924_193231.jpg

IMG_20110924_193141.jpg

IMG_20110924_193212.jpg

These were from my phone but ill get one more round with a real camera before i break it down