Coral Farmers Market

Michael7979

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if there are farmers without an internet presence of any kind yet, then they should maybe spend the time they would use preparing for this event and use it to sign up to Frags.org, and get a basic internet presence. it can be as simple as posting some pictures to flickr of product and then posting on the RC classifieds. I'd assume it would be much easier, cost efficient, less labor intensive, more rewarding and a better use of time, no?

I see plenty of business conducted over reef boards alone. So if you are a farmer without an official site you can still access the entire trade through existing resources like the boards and frags.org I would think.

It is a cute title, 'Farmer's Market', but I still don't see what this event offers that necessarily justifies an admission fee and isn't already offered more efficiently via the internets, that's all. :) I can definitely see it being a fun thing for free though. Wait....frag swaps/sales are essentially the that, no?

• 4 weeks later...

The ones in So Cal where incredible. Personally I like the idea of an entry fee. It lets me look at all the corals without pushing through people who aren't even going to buy anything. Once you've paid the admission your pretty commited to picking up stuff as well. I'll be there with my admission fee plus money for corals. JMO.

WOW. OK AND HMMMMMMM. So what are we going. Setting up a tank? Just being ourselfs ( that's scarrrrry) in a booth saying "Hi, I'm a reefer, want to join our club?" I quess after all the "help" that M79 would like, in ideas and has asked for. I haven't seen a thing different, SSDD

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a member of PNWMAS as of yet. Just went to the meeting today for the first time to get a feel for the club, and what it has to offer. I have been following this board for quite awhile however.

I don't understand how people can fuss over a 30.00 entry fee? And that is only for those who procrastinate. I will pay the 30.00 at the door if I indeed decide to go just to see what is being offered up. People need to understand the expence of a traveing frag farm. It's not a simple outing. It's a process that requires much planning and money! Tyree is simply trying to re-coupe some of his expence by chargeing a door fee like any good buisness man does.

You can't buy a ticket to a show and walk around looking at the candy and popcorn for 2 hrs. then go back to the ticket counter and say I decided not to watch a movie I need my money back. Bottom line is it is a real nice opporunity for the club to grow in many ways. Too much conversation is going on over price. When what you should be figureing out is ways to promote it to make the club look like something more then a bunch of penny pinching reefers. (rock2)

• 3 weeks later...

What I would like to see at this event: Nice, glossy professional looking pamphlets with information about PNWMAS on them, and the ability to sign people up for membership right then and there. People on hand to answer questions about the club.

And to chime in on the fee, I regularly attend Science Fiction/Fantasy and gaming conventions, same day admission can run anywhere from $30 to over $200 at the door (WorldCon is pretty expensive, someday I hope to go though). Fees such as this, IMO/E are there to ensure that the people attending are serious about the event, and won't be wasting people's time. There also there to recoup the expense of putting on the event.

I have been thinking a lot about this.

I would like to set up at tank. I have a 20 gallon glass aquarium, nice stand, and an orbit light fixture that I am not using right now. I have rock, a heater, and powerheads. I could set up a really bad skimmer ( an excalibur HOB ), but it is only for one day, there really is no need. The only thing I am low on right now is livestock. I could throw a couple of chromis in there. A toad stool frag, some zoos, some frogspawn, and some gsp. It think this will go over well.

We also need business cards, flyers, membership info, the projector displaying some cool pics of livestock and some screenshots of the website and forums. It would be even better if we had web access with a computer so visitors could play around a little.

Lastly, a banner would be cool. I am looking into some banners right now. I have found some online that are under $50.00. I am also trying locally to avoid shipping costs.

Jay

I am going to try to get the Website up for ticket sales to the CFM asap. It will have all the info and I will try to keep the page updated with new vendors as they become available. I will also have the tickets for sale at all of our regular meetings.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recieved an email from Tyree today and he said that there will be some real progress on the NW-CFM website in the first days of June. they just finished the Bay area event, (which was 5-20), and are gearing up to come to the NW.

He also said he has picked up several local shops/companies that have shown interest in particapating in the event. Also has at least one vendor from down south that has agreed to come to Portland. Sounds like things are picking up.

Stay tuned and watch the website in the first part of June for more info..