Coral Farmers Market

Michael7979

Don't know how many of you are familiar with Steve Tyree's CFM. But he has been in touch with the club about scheduleing one in the Portland area in August, the week before our BBQ. This event at a hotel near the Portland Airport will be the third city added, along with an event in the Bay Area/S.F. and in So-Cal/L.A.

We have the opportunity to buy tickets at a reduced rate and recieve a free booth to use for the club. Tickets will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 for us. If you wait and buy them at the door on the day of the event or up to a month in advance they will be $25 - $30. There is a possibility that we can even sell corals at this event, for club profit. Some things are still in the final stages and I'm waiting to hear back from Steve on those.

All that is asked in return is to promote the event.

So if this sounds like something that you will be interested in attending stay tuned I'll post more info. as I get it from Steve.

Sorry this is all I know at this time. If you don't see an answer to your question, sorry, can't answer any at this time.

STAY TUNED !!!!!!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep $15 at our discounted rate! It seems to be like a Mini-trade show/farmer's market. Hence the Coral Farmers Market name. I looked at the other sites and it seems like there are 20 or so coral vendors there. Remember though thats in California. Maybe they will travel with! That would be really sweet to get some of the vendors that are at the other shows.

I see so many positives and good relationships coming out of this event!

Or a really good doctor' date=' that can remove your kidney to sell on the black market.[/quote']

I've observed a few transplants over surgeon's shoulders, is that good enough? No guarantees. Will work for frags :)

Of course a farmers market wouldn't be free in this hobby, nothing is cheap, remember?

oh this sounds sweet. I'm good with WYSIWYG. count me in.

This is a cool step forward for the hobby here and free booth nice. I am glad it was offered. Not manditory to go and $15 is cheaper than shipping and you know there will be some cool stuff.

If you looked at those 2 links i posted in the beginning. There is a little more info. about the total package of what is going on.

It's a great way for local growers to sell their corals and make contacts. I'm sure there will be some vendors also.

There will be auctions, raffles, and door prizes.

Retail shops, retail farmers, and aquarist farmers along with local clubs have booths at the SW show.

Should be alot of fun.

I am going to guess that part of the reason it will be in Portland is that at least 2 other booths will be taken up one by PFO lighting and one by Sunlight Supply. It ought to be interesting. I got to see what all of this hype is about.

Not quite.....the real reason is that the club summer BBQ held at my house two years ago (which Tyree was a speaker at) netted Tyree the largest number of sold frags he ever sold in one event......something like over a hundred if I remember correctly. This.... coupled with Travis at Upscales providing him with several of his LE corals.... has given Tyree the impression that Portland is an untapped coral hotbed market. Travis and I have expressed our doubts....but.....I guess he wants to try it anyway.

Not quite.....the real reason is that the club summer BBQ held at my house two years ago (which Tyree was a speaker at) netted Tyree the largest number of sold frags he ever sold in one event......something like over a hundred if I remember correctly. This.... coupled with Travis at Upscales providing him with several of his LE corals.... has given Tyree the impression that Portland is an untapped coral hotbed market. Travis and I have expressed our doubts....but.....I guess he wants to try it anyway.

No doubt Steve! Tyree cashed in when he came here. Later Ryan

I have talked with Tyree several times about the planning of this event. As far as vendors go he is hoping to lure Fraggfarmer and Atlantis up from Cali and have local shops bring their nicest frags to sell. It should draw people from all of Oregon and Washington plus Idaho as well. If it works I think it will be pretty cool. I went to a farmers market in Ontario last year. Alot of people. Alot of frags.

Travis

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2899

Based on the feedback from this thread- I wonder how many frags he'd sell this time around?

I really dont think it was the fact that Tyree corals suck it was mainly the size of most of the corals. This event will be WYSIWYG so you will be able to view it in person. Which a lot of the people in the US dont get to do.

Yeah Travis I hope this takes off. It would be really sweet to make this a big event. Later Ryan

I went to a farmers market in Ontario last year. Alot of people. Alot of frags.

Travis

LA basin.....15 million people

Portland metro....1 million

I'll be surprised if the turnout and the gate reciepts will be all that is expected....there just isn't the numbers nor the wealth in this market compared to LA or the bay area. However....if they can attract some vendors from those markets, it might be interesting. I don't see Idaho adding much more than Banjo music....but, quite a few might come down from Seattle. As for Fragfarmers....is Eric bringing up all the frags that he got from you Travis....lol.