It's been at least 4 years... if not longer

ShaunMonahan

Well, I have gotten the itch once again to have a reef tank.

Intro:

My name is Shaun Monahan and I started a LFS called Waves Marine Aquaria back in 1997 (EDIT: Also had an online store called Ecorals) . I sold the store to Joel Retzlaff (sp?) 2005 to go into banking/mortgage. I have been out of the hobby since...

I see some familiar names still active here which is pretty awesome. I have been making my way to the LFS' to see the latest and greatest corals, hardware and supplies - there is great selection in the Portland area! I have bumped into some previous customers/friends and look forward to meeting the unfamiliar reefers

I am considering setting up a 36x24x24 (80 gallon glass) as I already have the tank, but will need to install/drill for and overflow. I don't have a stand and I am unsure about a canopy until I figure out the lighting type & configuration.

I plan on maintaining SPS/LPS/Clams and I will probably go with 250w DE with (2) or (4) t-5 HO's. I already have a calcium reactor and a CO2 system.

Question: I am very curious if anyone is using HO LED's on their SPS/Clams? If so, how long?

I am looking forward to just being a hobbyist once again!(rock2)

Hi Shaun.... I remember you of course!!! I bought my first live rock at your shop....I too, was away from the Portland area,(but not the hobby) for 5 years and we just recently moved back!!! I was actually asking someone about you the other day and was wondering if you were still around!! How old are your twins now??? I was the reef mom with the little red-haired boy that used to come in...glad to hear you are joining us again!!!!!

Hope to see you!

Jenni

Great to see you back again! I miss the old days when you had the shop off twiliger curves. That was back in the day when we where doing SPS and it was still pretty new to most folks. I remember getting lots of great stuff from you. If you need anything feel free to let me know.

Roy

PNWMAS President

Hi Shaun.... I remember you of course!!! I bought my first live rock at your shop....I too, was away from the Portland area,(but not the hobby) for 5 years and we just recently moved back!!! I was actually asking someone about you the other day and was wondering if you were still around!! How old are your twins now??? I was the reef mom with the little red-haired boy that used to come in...glad to hear you are joining us again!!!!!

Hope to see you!

Jenni

I totally remember you Jenni! I see you live in LO - me too. Yes, my twins are now 6yrs old, and my oldest daughter is 9yrs old - I too am getting old, yesh! Great to reconnect with you and I am sure to see you at the outings around town :)

I am using cree 3 watt leds (24 of them) to supplement my T5 lighting. When I switched from metal halide I found that I missed the shimmer, so I flanked the T5s with the crees. LEDs are great because you can dim them, put optics on them, and really tweak the color/spread of them. They are really new though... and many people who are using them as a sole method of lighting are finding some colors are easy to keep, and some others not so much. They believe that this is because of the very narrow spectrum these bulbs produce. The newer fixtures being produced are using both the royal and standard blue leds AND the warm white and cool white leds. These seem to be able to produce more colors. There are some great threads over on RC about LEDs in the DIY section if you have a few months to read them ;)

Great to see you back again! I miss the old days when you had the shop off twiliger curves. That was back in the day when we where doing SPS and it was still pretty new to most folks. I remember getting lots of great stuff from you. If you need anything feel free to let me know.

Roy

PNWMAS President

Roy - I have many fond memories of those days! Keeping SPS was so new and a bit of a challenge too. Do you remember the first MACNA in the Seattle area? You, Brad Shaw and I... that was a blast. I sure wish I could still get those 10-12" Ultra Maximas that Joy had on display - simply gorgeous! Good times for sure... PM'd you

Holy Crap!!!

A name I thought long dead!!! :) :) :)

I believe the last time I saw you we bumped into each other right after Joel took over in the OBC.

Can't believe it has been that long since you had the shop by Fudruckers!! (time flys)

Glad you found us again

And BTW- WELCOME BACK!!!

Wow... can't believe you remember me...those little babies are 6 now???? Time goes way too fast! My "little" red-head is now 11!! Yes, we are in LO, what part are you in? We are right off of Kruse Way and Carmen. We moved away to Kansas in "05 and just moved back here in Sept. I stayed in the hobby the whole time, I had a 180 gallon inwall tank set up in Kansas. Can you believe that??? I actually started in your store, when it was on Boones Ferry!! I was just thinking today, I have been doing this 7 years now. Ok, really glad you are back and I hope to see you soon!

Thanks for stop in the other day Shaun, it's was nice to meet the legendary of Oregon blue tort founder.

Tim

Really the Oregon tort founder?:D Awesome! That's one of my favorites! It was the first sps I ever wanted!

(kneel)

All hail the Oregon tort king! I hope to meet you Shaun and welcome back!

Really the Oregon tort founder?

Hi Kim, nice to meet you! I was not the founder per say, I was just lucky enough to have imported this coral (from Bali) and have it live long enough to frag it - which was traded to Travis at Upscales. My small colony died after the exchange and Travis was the only one to grow/maintain this coral, as it was the only one we'd ever seen. Within a year or so, frags made there way all over the place... The rest is history.

Back in those days, SPS were much harder to come by, more expensive than they are now, and a lot harder to keep.

I think I still have a picture of this original colony from back in '97 - I'll look, but this is right as digital cameras were in their infancy so it's on film...

Hey Chewie-

That's an interesting thread... but, I know what I had, and when I had it.

Steve Tyree and I used to a lot of trading back in the late 90's - but that thread on RC is not correct.

I was at the first MACNA too (Roy, chime in) and this was after I had already imported the Tort - FROM BALI - NOT SOLOMON IS.

It really doesn't matter, but that RC thread is incorrect.