Not what I was expecting

Facilier

I have been checking out this site for a little while now after getting referred here by a guy I met. I am a rather shy person and don't tend to be very social which you might have noticed since we have only made one post since we signed up. To resolve any confusion my 11 year old son and I share this profile. But that post now has me reconsidering this club and looking for other options. We received a negative rep point for my post which I simply can't believe. I assume I know who it is as only one person made a semi-rude comment immediately after my post. I just find myself dumbfounded by the critical nature being displayed.

I guess this is a pointless post but I thought it should be mentioned. It doesn't seem like a very family friendly place to be when an 11 year old gets dinged for asking a question. Maybe we should have posted an introduction thread before posting but I assure you he meant no harm.

I apologize if this isn't the place for this thread or to be causing any problems. But can someone maybe refer me to a less critical forum for us beginners. I don't feel like being slammed everytime we ask a dumb question.

• Like 13

I know there are people that seem to have a napoleon complex or they seem to borderline an internet troll ...It seems to happen on any forum....but don't let one person steer you away, don't let them get to you, or they win, I urge you to give this forum another chance...I too am fairly new to this hobby, and this is a great forum for new hobbiests.

I would love to see a intro thread from you, what all do you keep? Do you and your son work together on the same tank? There are quite a few people with kids here that share thier hobby with thier kids, I think you will have lots in common with folks here.

Welcome!

• Like 1

First of all welcome to the club. I am sorry that you have had a negative experience this early in your visitation to this site. There are a lot of kind, generous people on this site that are more than willing to help out a new person and there is a lot to be learned if you are willing to ask the questions. I would like to see an intro thread from you so that we can see your tank and describe yourself a little.

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback of the site and I do hope you stay. We actually have quite a few young people in this forum including another 11 year old whose father is a member. The people here are great , friendly and very helpful and I hope you don't let one bad experience ruin that for you. I don't think you should have to ignore rude comments for asking a question. The only way it gets better is if people know about it. Sorry for your negative experience. I would feel the same way as you do right now if that was my first experience on this site.

• Like 1

Im sorry you your son was treated this way please feel free to email me or call I will be happy to answer any questions you have on your tanks issues just pm me and I will give my info and sorry again you had to deal with somone who shouldnt be on here as I believe we get alot of folks who in real life are quiet then get on here and act like a know it all.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. MOST of the people here are really quite nice here and very helpful to. I think that some times we forget that we were new to this hobby at one point in time and didn't know anything about it. We all had to ask lots of questions to get the knowledge that we now have. I know that i have struggled sometimes to be a humbled reef keeper and to not think i am better than someone else for asking a question that i know the answer to. Always remember the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask. I hope that you really consider sticking around for a while we love new hobbyists here and i am looking forward to seeing some pic soon.(clap)

I would have to agree with the rest of everyone on here. The way some people can act on forums is completely unnecessary. As a relatively new member myself I was overwhelmed with positive posts and responses to my questions. I was in fact so impressed by the kindness and eagerness to help on this site I became a member in just a couple weeks. I have continued to be more and more impressed by people willing to help. Even giving out phone numbers and inviting you to there homes. I am truly sorry that your son was treated this way and can understand your frustration. I can assure you as I have been on many saltwater forums and this site by far has the most members per capita that are willing to bend over backwards to help. I hope you will give us all a second chance since this club is a great place to learn a wealth of information. Also you being local to everyone has unforseen benefits. Thanks for posting this and making all of us aware of your unfortunate first experience.

Hello and welcome to both you and your son! I'm sorry you had a bad first experience here. I hope you give the site another chance, the folks I've met here have been great, although I'm pretty new also. Advice, learning, buying, selling, trading or just looking at cool pics I find this site to be a very valuable resource. I think it's great your son is also interersted in the hobby. We would all love to hear more about your system and see pics!

It is unfortunate that people do that. I'm guessing it is the same person that gave me my only bad rep point as well. The funny thing is that I also within a week of me being on the boards loaned the same person a heater for a month. I would take it with a grain of salt. Some people on the boards get a little overboard with the rep points. Either way welcome to the boards. I have a six year old that has his own tank as well. It's nice to have a hobby with the kids. My daughter thinks my frag tank is hers too..LOL

First of all. Welcome to the site!

I might suggest that we set up a section for kids that are under a certain age or at a minimum list you child's age and have separate accounts with full access into your child's account and limit what sections and the amount of posts you will allow.

If you set up a tank thread with the understanding from the outset that this thread is going to be used by an adult and a child I am sure that most people will respond with understanding and kindness.

There is no way of knowing, without a sig line how old a person is. My response to a question is going to be very different between a 7 year old, an 11year old, a 17 year old and a 23 and 30 year old. There is just no way to guess a person's age.

If you have the opportunity to attend a meeting please be assured that we actually do love kids. My 6 year old daughter bid on a coral just because she thought it was some adult counting game. Emerald backed out of the bidding (which is VERY hard for her) in respect for my child!

On our local tank tours children of all ages are encouraged to attend!

if the thread I viewed is the one in question I don't care if your 5 or 55 there was no reason for bad rep or a smart butt post and there should be no difference in how you respond based on age you may want to simplify maybe but honestly you would be amazed on what are young folks understand and can do.

Hey mods, time to move the thread, its not in the correct area and is turning into one of "those threads"

Time to move it or close it, and for the person that started the thread, I think you can see by the over abundance of replies and "hits" to your post, you experienced something that does not reflect this group as a whole-

Welcome, and may your future experiences be "different"

So now I'm a bad apple, an internet troll, and according to one person, an a-hole, simply because I gave out a negative rep point and pointed out in the thread that the person had commented in had already explained what was being kept in said tank. I'm not going to get into other issues, but to get so sensitive over a negative rep point, and I admit, I did to first the first time I got one, but in my case, I messaged the club president and asked what was up, I didn't throw up a thread on the board crying about it, that is a bit much, even if said person was/is 11 y/o. I would make the same comment again, regardless.

If your 11 y/o child is going to be on the board, make them their own screenname or put in the sig line that said user is 11 y/o.

And as for that other issue with that other person, if he hadn't got so rude with me, he wouldn't be sitting on my ignore list as we speak, never to come off it.

And I'm sorry, but if this qualifies as a rude post, then people have got some seriously funny ideas about what rudeness is:

10 gallon mantis tank

As stated in the very FIRST post.

Yep, that's what was said, in the thread, and as for the negative rep point, I'm sorry, but the rep point thing is a joke IMO an there for amusement, I think everyone remembers the thread Brad started a while back making fun of the whole thing, same with Algae. All I said, I think, it's been a few days an I dont really pay attention to most things on this board anymore, is that the person needed to pay closer attention before making a comment. Again, and this is knowing that I did the same thing, albeit in a totally different manner and without the meme, getting worked up over rep points is quite stupid and being completely over-sensitive.

A little confused how its their responsibility for your poor judgement mick. Shouldn't you just be nice to everyone. Maybe I'm missing something here bite nobody should have to tell you how old they are for you to show respect. You gave me bad rep points for making a for sale thread and just shortly after that I helped you out when you were in need. Show some respect to new people and maybe they will give respect back.

So now I'm a bad apple, an internet troll, and according to one person, an a-hole, simply because I gave out a negative rep point and pointed out in the thread that the person had commented in had already explained what was being kept in said tank. I'm not going to get into other issues, but to get so sensitive over a negative rep point, and I admit, I did to first the first time I got one, but in my case, I messaged the club president and asked what was up, I didn't throw up a thread on the board crying about it, that is a bit much, even if said person was/is 11 y/o. I would make the same comment again, regardless.

If your 11 y/o child is going to be on the board, make them their own screenname or put in the sig line that said user is 11 y/o.

And as for that other issue with that other person, if he hadn't got so rude with me, he wouldn't be sitting on my ignore list as we speak, never to come off it.

• Like 1