!! Total Ban on Hawaiian Fish !!

AC-k3v

I'm just going to copy and paste what i posted on my local forum...

---------------------------------

Aloha,

I just received word that Senate Bill 580 will be heard this coming Thursday. This bill is, plain and simple, a complete statewide ban on the aquarium industry.

The hearing will be at 1:15 PM, at the state capitol (room 225).

Here is the hearing notice:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio..._02-03-11_.HTM

Here is a copy of the bill:

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...lls/SB580_.htm

It's critically important that we attack this bill as hard as we can right now. If it passes out of this committee it'll give our opposition time to publicize the issue and make our lives that much harder. Everybody NEEDS to come to this hearing!

Also, everybody needs to:

- Call the office of Senator Dela Cruz and say that you're opposed to SB580. The phone number is 808-586-6090. Do this right away!

- Prepare written testimony against the bill. The deadline is 24 hours before the hearing, so this needs to be done by Wednesday afternoon. However, attending the hearing in person is far more important than written testimony and carries much more weight.

- Get everybody you know (friends, family etc.) to do the same thing! The more the better.

I'll update as things go along. Just to let you know there are 5 more bills to be presented in the very near future. We need everyone's help.

Thanks,

Kevin

---------------------------------

This is what will happen if my daughter catches a minnow at the tide pools:

(1) For a first offense, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or thirty days imprisonment, or both;

(2) For a second offense within five years of a previous violation, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or sixty days imprisonment, or both; and

(3) For a third or subsequent violation within five years of a previous violation, shall be fined not more than $3,000 or ninety days imprisonment, or both.

So it looks as if it makes it illegal to have tank with marine fish too??

There is a blurb to the effect of letting people collect for personal aquarium use:

SECTION 2. Section 188-31, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:

"§188-31 Permits to take aquatic life for aquarium purposes.

(a) Except as prohibited by law, the department, upon receipt of a written application, may issue an aquarium fish permit, not longer than one year in duration, to take aquatic life and to use fine meshed traps, or fine meshed nets other than throw nets, for the taking of marine or freshwater nongame fish and other aquatic life for aquarium purposes. No person shall take aquatic life for aquarium purposes or use fine meshed traps or fine meshed nets other than throw nets to take marine or freshwater nongame fish and other aquatic life for aquarium purposes without an aquarium fish permit.

(b) Except as prohibited by law, the permits shall be issued only to persons who can satisfy the department that they possess facilities to and can maintain fish and other aquatic life alive and in reasonable health[.] and who can satisfy the department that the methods of capture, husbandry, and transport are humane and will not result in substantial injury to or death of the taken aquatic life.

© It shall be illegal to sell or offer for sale any fish and other aquatic life taken under an aquarium fish permit [unless those fish and other aquatic life are sold alive for aquarium purposes]. The department may adopt rules pursuant to chapter 91 for the purpose of this section.

(d) For the purposes of this section:

(1) "Aquarium purposes" means to hold salt water fish, freshwater nongame fish, or other aquatic life alive in a state of captivity as pets, for scientific study, [or] for public exhibition or display, or for sale for any of these purposes; [and]

(2) "Aquarium fish permit" means a permit issued by the board for the taking of aquatic life and for the use of fine mesh nets and traps to take salt water fish, freshwater nongame fish, or other aquatic life for aquarium purposes[.];

(3) "Aquatic life" means any type or species of mammal, fish, amphibian, reptile, mollusk, crustacean, arthropod, invertebrate, coral, or other animal that inhabits the freshwater or marine environment and includes any part, product, egg, or offspring thereof; or freshwater or marine plants, including seeds, roots, products, and other parts thereof; and

(4) "Sell" means to transfer, prescribe, give, or deliver to another; to leave, barter, or exchange with another; or to offer or agree to do the same to another for consideration."

Now, in actuality... They will never provide these permits. The have the same processes in place for hard and non-local coral aquaculture in place. Though when asked about I am told that even though the workflow is in place, the DLNR has never produced/approved a permit.

Lets say that they do give aquarium permits. Good for me and my aquarium, but you guys get nothing. You can enjoy my pictures though. DOH!

There will be hundreds of families effected by this bill!

Kevin

I read the bill, and saw the permit being mentioned-Good luck!

I know it will affect many families that you can be sure of, Oregon used to be known for logging too, but too many special interest groups and save the "spotted owl" campaigns-(laugh) Spotted owl came way after this state screwed themselves. Now for the most part the forests just burn, they are not managed, and then trying to get them out can be a challange because a stream may be near-BMAFB!!

In your opinion is the harvesting of fish out of control-Are there any controls/ permit process for harvesting?

In your opinion is the harvesting of fish out of control-Are there any controls/ permit process for harvesting?

IMO... No, harvesting of fish is not out of control. Are there people out here that give us a bad name, yes. There is a lot of politics here in this industry. You could call it self regulation. Un-Written rules that if they are broken, you will never be able to do business here again. As with island culture, you don't burn bridges.

The older divers teach the young. We think about tomorrow. We think about our kids we plan to hand this down to. You see fly-by-nighters come here looking to make a quick buck. You also see them disappear real quick if they over step their boundaries and break these un-written rules.

Please take a look here: http://hawaiitropicalsaltwateraquariumfish.com/

As far as controls/ permit process for harvesting... There are permits needed and catch reports to fill out monthly. Even if you don't fish you have to tell them you didn't. If not or your report is late, you get fined. There are no bag limits in place. There are marine reserve areas that are not allowed to be fished in.

I have not met a person in this industry that is not conscious about sustainability and conservation. We make our living this way, the last thing we want is for it to go away. Especially from our own doing. There have been no hard evidence or research done to prove aquarium industry fishing is depleting our fish population. If there was, i doubt anyone in this industry would not take the proper steps to change it. Snorkel Bob likes to quote numbers, but has yet to produce where he gets them.

Kevin

This is a ten year old report' date=' but it shows IMO a pretty obvious correlation between the collecting of fishes for the aquarium trade and the decline in there numbers. [url']http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/kona/WHAP%202001%20Final%20report.pdf[/url]

Uhg... Bill Walsh. of course. lol

Have you read Ret Talbots latest article on Hawaii? He touches a bit on Mr. Walsh's data and has the same thoughts as i on it. Take a look: (Worrisome Data) http://coralmagazine.coverleaf.com/coral/20110102?sub_id=BM5ZGjld2Z4dt#pg82

Kevin

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. The marine conservation areas in my eyes are a good thing. They work! Banning fish like Hawaiian Cleaner wrasse and morish idol collection. Fine.

I like to read articles like this: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/20101223_Study_finds_reserves_replenish_fish_widely.html#

What i'm against is an all out ban, propaganda, and personal vendettas.

Listen, this may not be a popular opinion(especially on an aquarium enthusiast web page), but here it goes:

Taking fish from the wild really isn't that immoral. But it is when it spans beyond the local area and into a national market that there is potential danger for messing up an ecosystem, thus it becomes immoral to participate in the masses. We all know how delicate a reef is, just think about your tank- if you take out some of your fish, then there will be a new adjustment in how the system handles a decrease in nutrients and inevitably, there will be shifts. In the case of a wild reef with collectors, this becomes even more true. If you think about the types of fish and corals available on a regular basis, there isn't that much in comparison to the large numbers of species available. There are THOUSANDS if not more species of fish. so if the collectors focus on the fish that known to the hobbyist, that are the most desirable, then there is an in balance in that species because a fish collector will get fish that will sell. If you take out a crucial part of the food chain (even if you decrease the amount of that fish), there will be negative effects. perhaps the damage would be minimal if every fish species was collected equally, then there would be a partially proportional effect. However when one area is taken out, there is a big difference. If you take out one fish, you really aren't taking out just one. That fish will reproduce, thus you are taking out multiple fish.

Then you take into account the number that die in transit, the horrible effect of cyanide and other poisons for collecting purposes... its a big deal. (even if it isnt in hawaii)

This being said, this is NOT meant to be an attack in any (i repeat ANY) sort of way to you kevin. Your corals are beautiful, and i have no doubt that you are a conscious reefer/collector. Perhaps even every collector in Hawaii is humane and good with collecting. But the truth of the matter is that in other areas, there are people who are not as considerate. This is the problem

I myself, will only buy fish from Hawaii(perhaps hypocritically), and preferably tank raised.

This bill, even if it stomps on our hobby, is a move to perserve fish.

Isnt that what our hobby is about? admiring wildlife? what better way than to Help SAVE our reefs than to minimize collecting?

Perhaps the bill is a little too closed, but i think regulation is required worldwide in order to maintain the ecosystems

• Like 1

Listen, this may not be a popular opinion(especially on an aquarium enthusiast web page), but here it goes:

Taking fish from the wild really isn't that immoral. But it is when it spans beyond the local area and into a national market that there is potential danger for messing up an ecosystem, thus it becomes immoral to participate in the masses. We all know how delicate a reef is, just think about your tank- if you take out some of your fish, then there will be a new adjustment in how the system handles a decrease in nutrients and inevitably, there will be shifts. In the case of a wild reef with collectors, this becomes even more true. If you think about the types of fish and corals available on a regular basis, there isn't that much in comparison to the large numbers of species available. There are THOUSANDS if not more species of fish. so if the collectors focus on the fish that known to the hobbyist, that are the most desirable, then there is an in balance in that species because a fish collector will get fish that will sell. If you take out a crucial part of the food chain (even if you decrease the amount of that fish), there will be negative effects. perhaps the damage would be minimal if every fish species was collected equally, then there would be a partially proportional effect. However when one area is taken out, there is a big difference. If you take out one fish, you really aren't taking out just one. That fish will reproduce, thus you are taking out multiple fish.

Then you take into account the number that die in transit, the horrible effect of cyanide and other poisons for collecting purposes... its a big deal. (even if it isnt in hawaii)

This being said, this is NOT meant to be an attack in any (i repeat ANY) sort of way to you kevin. Your corals are beautiful, and i have no doubt that you are a conscious reefer/collector. Perhaps even every collector in Hawaii is humane and good with collecting. But the truth of the matter is that in other areas, there are people who are not as considerate. This is the problem

I myself, will only buy fish from Hawaii(perhaps hypocritically), and preferably tank raised.

Isnt that what our hobby is about? admiring wildlife? what better way than to Help SAVE our reefs than to minimize collecting?

Perhaps the bill is a little too closed, but i think regulation is required worldwide in order to maintain the ecosystems

Dam kid! How old are you anyways?!?!? You do look that old! LOL :)

But you did put it very nicely. I can see both sides I guess. I just think a "total ban" is a huge move in the other direction where as a temporary/partial ban might help the problem and not impact everyone involved so hard.

I myself, will only buy fish from Hawaii, and preferably tank raised.

I will not take offense to your post. I actually appreciate your opinion. Thank you.

Minimize collecting... Fine. All out Ban, NO thank you. This just the beginning. If a bill like this passes, i predict a domino effect. The outcome, who knows... but its not going to be good.

Do you know that snorkel bob compared you to a pedophile? (I'm assuming you have a tank)

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-070814-1.html

We want to convert home hobbyists, not get them pissed off in a name-calling exchange. We want to shame them gently. I think of the internet pedophiles lured into the kitchen where the MSNBC cameras are rolling so the world can see them-they hang their heads, knowing their appetite is so wicked. Aquarium keeping is similarly shameful, but the perpetrators must be treated with understanding and help toward rehabilitation.
Is that the guy you want to be heading up this fight of conservation? The guy that makes his living on these fish? Not me... I'll take Bill Walsh instead in a heart beat! At least he has a PHD.

Aloha and Mahalo again for your post.

Kevin

The chance of this bill passing are slim IMO. It is too radical for the voters.

and as far as the snorkel dude: all the better. it just makes them look more stupid.

and "snorkel bob" that's a pretty stupid name too ( like is said, the veiwpoint is just too radical for the people in the middleground).

The fight for conservation, should be held with noble ( moderate) opposition, i certainly agree

Bills don't cost anything to write up... I'm in the process of writing a bill to ban snorkel tours on Hawaii Reefs. The impact on the reef from snorkel tours is devastating. Leaky oil from outboard motors, tourists sitting and standing on the reefs, tourists taking pieces home as souvenirs, chemical polution from suntan oil, etc... It's a real problem here in Hawaii.

:)