100G Build: from worse to bad (scary)

Trautman

Okay, so i have had this for a while, i have just been lethargic

I picked up this tank around thanksgiving, and i have been making slow progress.

The tank is an old school tricon acrylic, internal overflow, basic sump configuration-friendly. The tank is an oak stand.

i got this tank in a trade on craigslist, in exchange for some glassblowing lessons, so all in all i got a tank, sump, pump,lights and a bunch of otherstuff including roughly 200 pounds of dried up live rock and substrate (rock2) for about three hours of my time (clap)(naughty)

i have thought about how to set up the tank, and this is what i have thought of doing /purchasing

3/4" scwd(purchased)

skimmer (thanks joel!)

reeflo dart pump

2x250 watt metal halides (should i get 20k or 15k??)

Refugium

herbie overflow

PLAN:

so i am planning on putting my tank in my living room, and behind the tank is a closet.

so i have cut through the wall, and have made a aquarium room that will hold a semi-desplay fuge, and a ATO as well as all my random junk that good to keep next to your tank

I will need to buff some scratches out of the tank (got most of them already)

i drilled the 1" hole to 2" so that it can accommodate the higher flow of a dart pump

i need to change hinges, polish wood, etc (done most of this)

i will also need to drill a hole in the sump (mission accomplished, thank you jeff from the aquarium in oregon city for loaning me your drill bit)

i will need to cure live rock to get things going ahead of time ( the live rock is in a cattle trough, now its been about two months)

ultimately this will be a mixed reef tank, although i am leaning towards a clown-anemone dominated tank

i also have set up a 40 g QT tank that is always up and running at 1.009 salinity in my garage

PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS

so i took these pix when i had just gotten it

enjoy

17c872b7.jpg

7b985759.jpg

4d182c10.jpg

19d99bc4.jpg

6289b2f4.jpgcd3fc9bc.jpg

111055f7.jpg

THANKS

Not sure what you mean by suggestions-(laugh) It reads like you got a perfect plan in the works.-(clap)

I saw you where going with a dart, I have a snapper I bought from Frank that I wont be using, I was going to do a 300 gallon but now I'm doing 500 gallons-DOH!.

It looked like you did not have the dart yet-IMO you should always buy new pumps but if you are interested send me a PM.

I think the builds are the best part of the whole reefing thing-(nutty)

Just a reminder, my dart at least has a 2" input and only a 1.5" output. So the 2" hole needs to be in the sump and a 1.5 in the tank, but the bigger the better right. Just a thought it might not be the same on all darts or snappers or whatever but thats how mine is.

Just a reminder' date=' my dart at least has a 2" input and only a 1.5" output. So the 2" hole needs to be in the sump and a 1.5 in the tank, but the bigger the better right. Just a thought it might not be the same on all darts or snappers or whatever but thats how mine is.[/quote']

yes, thank you, i have a 2" hole in the sump, and my return line is going to come from the top with pvc.

but this brings up a question.

is a two inch hole in the overflow going to be enough?

Does the overflow have enough room for another hole? The 2 inch hole will usually be plenty but I always like to have a backup in case something happens and the primary drain gets clogged.... always good to have redundant systems in place so you dont end up with a mess on your floor.

Does the overflow have enough room for another hole? The 2 inch hole will usually be plenty but I always like to have a backup in case something happens and the primary drain gets clogged.... always good to have redundant systems in place so you dont end up with a mess on your floor.

Unfortunately the overflow has barely enough room for one bulkhead, so i think that i will make another overflow on the right side of the tank with a flat piece of acrylic and 45 degree angles cut on each side. i got a quote from envision acrylics, an i think that if i bought a new overflow box from him it would cost more than i spent on the tank lol

As far as bulb color to go with, since you dont have supplements, would be 20k. Its a crisper bluer light that will bring out the best colors. To get a feel for what you really want, check out some tanks that are running similar colors. I love the 20k but others may think that its too blue. I also like the 14k but it doesnt bring out the colors as well. I guess it all depends on what you like to look at.