500 Gallon Tank for sale (MIA)-In Sergey's defense

reefnjunkie

So I cant find the thread that was of the 500 gallon tank that was for sale recently.

Its the one Aquaman30K had thought he bought and the seller (Sergey) sold it out from underneath him.

I want to respond to the flogging Sergey received but it looks like the thread had been deleted.

A little background first.......(OK a lot of background)

I was the person who initially bought the tank. I went up the day it was posted and gave Sergey a 100.00 deposit with the balance being paid on Saturday when I picked it up. We agreed on 1300.00 and wrote up a bill of sale that I worded as such that the 100.00 was NON REFUNDABLE.

Later that night when telling Reefit of the purchase I made, he mentioned he would have sold me his brand new tank, stand, sump, skimmer. calc reactor, return pump for "x" amount of dollars. It was more money, but it was an INCERDIBLE deal, a SMOKING DEAL, one that anybody in my shoes would have jumped on it. Robert said had he known I was looking for a big tank he would have made me that offer and it was to bad I bought the other one.

Well it was such a deal I was willing to lose the 100.00 I gave Sergey since I knew it was non refundable, I sent Sergey a text early the following morning since I wanted to give him as much notice so he could re-list the tank, and I did not want to call at 7am. I told him I would call him later that day so I could explain what had happened and that I felt terrible but the deal I was offered was so good I was excepting the fact I was not getting my 100.00 back and I had hoped he would understand since it was less than 12 hours since I "secured" the deal and I knew he would have no problem selling it for what he was offering.

Well Sergey sent me a text back saying "no problem at all" and that he did not want my 100.00 that things happen and he was not going to keep my money.

So here is a guy that could have kept my 100.00, and I was willing to loose it, but he gave it back when he had every right to keep it.

So in my opinion, he is not the scoundrel he was portrayed to be and I told him once he gets his new tank up to hit me up and I will hook him up with some corals for being so understanding

As I understand from speaking to him this morning at OIAB there was no security deposit, nothing written up just verbal agreements. This may not make a difference to most but I have had plenty of people back out of buying a 20.00 dollar frag so I understand his place when you have someone standing there with 1750.00 dollars cash and wants to buy a tank that you had offered to sell to someone for 1,000.00 dollars but have nothing in writing or any deposit-I'm selling the tank and anyone in there right mind would have.

I would venture to guess had Sergey called the fellow who was getting it for 1,000.00 (sorry I dont know his name) and asked him if he wanted to match the price, he would have said no.

I mention that because a few people said he should have at least called and asked if the guy wanted to meet the offer.

Well there's my short version of why I think the guy did nothing wrong and received an unwarranted flaming.

I just could not post the reply in the thread becuase I cant find it anyware

Viva La Cencorship-(rock2)

A plus on setting things straight. All we have on here are our reputations so I think it's important to get things like this straightend out. All sounds legit to me. Can't wait to see your pics/build thread if you do one Reefnjunkie. If you ever need a hand just ask.

Buying a well made 500gal tank for less then $1500 is a steal no questions ask. I don't mind paying for good quality work made by a well known source! Although there are bad builders out there. You gotta be caution on who is building the tank you put in your house!

Vin "Keep On Reefing"

original thread was pulled because it was a classified thread not a discussion thread

I had figured that was what the case may have been, I had actually mentioned that to a person I was discussing this with-how his whole sale thread went way "off topic".

I was just surprised it was deleted and not closed-Thanks for shedding some light Roy, I must remove my "Viva La Cencorship" I suppose (laugh)

I meant to post yesterday and when seeing him earlier and discussing what happened (granted, I was not there the day they met) I felt I owed it to him for what he did for me.

The guy really seems like a straight shooter, there was more to what was posted but I did not want to burn 2 pages posting-LMAO

A plus on setting things straight. All we have on here are our reputations so I think it's important to get things like this straightend out. All sounds legit to me. Can't wait to see your pics/build thread if you do one Reefnjunkie. If you ever need a hand just ask.

You can count on a build thread, this is going to be a major overhaul-I just got the bids today for the remodel, that was step one-2 weeks more and the 150 will be cycled so the 75 can get "emptied".

I am going to build a "fish room" since the family room shares a wall with the garage. Wannareef has been and continues to be a great asset for the whole thing

As I understand from speaking to him this morning at OIAB there was no security deposit, nothing written up just verbal agreements. This may not make a difference to most but I have had plenty of people back out of buying a 20.00 dollar frag so I understand his place when you have someone standing there with 1750.00 dollars cash and wants to buy a tank that you had offered to sell to someone for 1,000.00 dollars but have nothing in writing or any deposit-I'm selling the tank and anyone in there right mind would have."

I think what you did was clean, Brad, but I have to respectfully disagree with the rest of the transaction.

There is a lot of difference between a $20 frag and a $1,000 to $1,700 sale. A $20 purchase is not going to be a major purchase to most people.

If I understand correctly a verbal agreement was made. It may be argued that it could have had an agreement that it would be held at that price for 48 hours unless a better offer came through. It could have also had a requirement that a deposit be placed within a certain amount of hours. All of these requirements was up to the seller to place on the sale. The seller had the choice of putting these restrictions on the purchase and chose not to. That he may not have been wise enough to do so is immaterial as is the fact that the tank was possibly under priced.

It was up to the seller to stand by the agreement. I have been offered substantially more for a large purchase that I made after a verbal agreement had concluded and I declined (and always will). My word is more important than money.

I still stand by my original comments that what was done by the seller was unethical.

I agree with Algae. When you put something for sale you try to estimate the value. Once you set up a price tag I don't think is fair to change it.

Unless you start the whole thing like an auction or the buyers know from the beginning that it is gonna be open to offers

I hear algae and grassi on the price but here is my thing and it only my opinion which means nothing. He had the tank listed for 1500 if I was to go over and look at the tank knowing I can pay for it for 2 weeks I would have put something in written we all have dealt with someone that has told us they will pick it up in a few days and then they don’t call they say something came up and they can’t get it now. It is a lot to ask this guy to hold something that high price on a verbal. I think the act of him giving back Brad his money say a lot about ones character.

I can see both sides, but we were not there so we don’t know what was said and agreed upon.

What if it was said that...

Seller- "yes I will sell it to you in 2 weeks for 1,000.00 dollars, but if in the interim someone shows up with cash and wants to buy it, I will sell it"

Buyer- "no problem"

We were not there, and the one experience I had with him was positive so I am leaning towards there being something close to what I outlined above, if it was all about money wouldn't a person keep the money that according to the bill of sale I wrote up entitled them to it???

100.00 free and clear no guilt no flaming

I personally know Sergey and I would of did the same thing because I hate selling stuff and the promises that take time with no down payment are a waste of my time. First person with cash in hand gets the stuff, he was pretty clear. Plus a guy that has every right to keep the down payment and yet gives it back is a plus in my book like Frank said. This forum is so quick on downgrading people with out actually knowing the person. Serge is starting his 180g build with a nice and warm welcome. Shame on you (you know who you are).

So now in reading all of this Sergeygate as I will call it was all Reefnjunkie's fault...(laugh) Way to go Brad!(laugh)(laugh)

Seriously though I really can see both sides but really don't know both sides since Sergey really hasn't chimed in.

I also understand the annoyance of having people backing out of a deal. I imagine it has happened to anyone of us who sells regularly. For me, it's a matter of the time. Waiting around having a sell drag out. If someone changes their mind then simply telling me is appreciated.

However, this forum is not craigslist which is why I prefer to buy and sell here. If I promised someone the tank on the forum. I would not sell it out from under them without making sure they still wanted it. It's also not a really good way to make a good impression when you first sign on. The forum for me is more about friendships , fun, relationships and the useful information not about making huge profits.

Sergey, I do hope you stick around and we do get to hear your side of things.

Kinda switching the topic, but the same: I responded to a Warn winch powerplant with air compressor on CL Wednesday. I told the guy I was interested but couldn't look at it until Saturday. I made no mention of holding it,paypaling a deposit or anything to secure it. I mentioned that if it sold to let me know so I didn't drive and hour for nothing. Saturday came and I went to see it. We bargained back and forth, settled on a price including some trade items from my end and I gave him $50 to hold it for me until Monday. I had gone to his house,pet his dogs and he showed me great hospitality so comming back and getting the winch and it actually being there feels pretty solid. If it was in a parking lot, I would have been prepared with cash and taken it today, but that's not how the tank deal went down either. Sounds like both sides have valid points and unfortunately hand shake deals are long lost. I hope my $50 is still there with the winch on Monday or I will be selling coral for bail money...rainbows and kittens. If I choose not to buy it he keeps my $50. Point is, we secured a deal with cash and a timeline and both parties agreed. No gray area, no I will sell it I will buy it.

As I understand from speaking to him this morning at OIAB there was no security deposit, nothing written up just verbal agreements. This may not make a difference to most but I have had plenty of people back out of buying a 20.00 dollar frag so I understand his place when you have someone standing there with 1750.00 dollars cash and wants to buy a tank that you had offered to sell to someone for 1,000.00 dollars but have nothing in writing or any deposit-I'm selling the tank and anyone in there right mind would have."

I think what you did was clean, Brad, but I have to respectfully disagree with the rest of the transaction.

There is a lot of difference between a $20 frag and a $1,000 to $1,700 sale. A $20 purchase is not going to be a major purchase to most people.

If I understand correctly a verbal agreement was made. It may be argued that it could have had an agreement that it would be held at that price for 48 hours unless a better offer came through. It could have also had a requirement that a deposit be placed within a certain amount of hours. All of these requirements was up to the seller to place on the sale. The seller had the choice of putting these restrictions on the purchase and chose not to. That he may not have been wise enough to do so is immaterial as is the fact that the tank was possibly under priced.

It was up to the seller to stand by the agreement. I have been offered substantially more for a large purchase that I made after a verbal agreement had concluded and I declined (and always will). My word is more important than money.

I still stand by my original comments that what was done by the seller was unethical.

Well said! That was my reason behind getting my side out there. There was a verbal agreement made once a deal had been reached and a offer to place a deposit was offered = to $300 and that was declined as well. I attempted to keep in contact with the seller however he did not or would not respond until the tank had already been sold. That is the part that irritated me. Not even a text or pm letting me know he has a higher offer in front of him, would I like to match and give me 48 hrs to come up with it.

Again this is my side of the story as is this post is yours. The funny part is the seller has yet to come onto any of these threads and defend his side of the story. I'm not going to keep attacking the issue because its not going to solve anything and I apologize for "attacking" the seller last Friday however I was pissed and wanted to let people know how shady "I" thought he was.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I encourage them to voice those opinions. These are simply mine gathered from the information I have. Someones word should be good enough but in a greedy society people forgo trust and long term relationships and see $$. Its a shame but its just part of growing up. They will understand as they get older.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I hear algae and grassi on the price but here is my thing and it only my opinion which means nothing. He had the tank listed for 1500 if I was to go over and look at the tank knowing I can pay for it for 2 weeks I would have put something in written we all have dealt with someone that has told us they will pick it up in a few days and then they don

I personally know Sergey and I would of did the same thing because I hate selling stuff and the promises that take time with no down payment are a waste of my time. First person with cash in hand gets the stuff' date=' he was pretty clear. Plus a guy that has every right to keep the down payment and yet gives it back is a plus in my book like Frank said. This forum is so quick on downgrading people with out actually knowing the person. Serge is starting his 180g build with a nice and warm welcome. Shame on you (you know who you are).[/quote']

Nope! I don't feel bad for What I did or said and I stand by that.

The name is Josh BTW. ;)

So now in reading all of this Sergeygate as I will call it was all Reefnjunkie's fault...(laugh) Way to go Brad!(laugh)(laugh)

Seriously though I really can see both sides but really don't know both sides since Sergey really hasn't chimed in.

I also understand the annoyance of having people backing out of a deal. I imagine it has happened to anyone of us who sells regularly. For me, it's a matter of the time. Waiting around having a sell drag out. If someone changes their mind then simply telling me is appreciated.

However, this forum is not craigslist which is why I prefer to buy and sell here. If I promised someone the tank on the forum. I would not sell it out from under them without making sure they still wanted it. It's also not a really good way to make a good impression when you first sign on. The forum for me is more about friendships , fun, relationships and the useful information not about making huge profits.

Sergey, I do hope you stick around and we do get to hear your side of things.

Thanks Kim. My points exactly! This form is like a family and family sticks together helping each other out.

Hey I may be going a different route myself-(sad) and could have a 500 gallon (brand new never had water in it) tank' date=' iron stand and sump for sale-its twice the price that was negotiated on the used one though-(naughty)[/quote']

Price was never the issue. I would be very interested if that tank comes available. Shoot me a pm if you can.

I can see the frustration in not getting the tank. However if you offer someone two thirds of what they ask' date=' and then a better offer comes along, well that's the risk you run when you lowball people.[/quote']

Point missed completely.

I'm honestly over it. Its a tank not my house and it seems like all we have is speculation since the seller has yet to chime in. I'm here for friends and to enjoy this hobby so containing to attack someone over a bad deal is only going to hurt my reputation in the long run.

If the seller wants to voice his opinion that's dandy with me but I'm moving on and I would hope you all do as well.

Josh

Great last words/advise Josh and I agree totally, sadly he wont have an opportunity to reply (laugh), (and frankly I don’t think he would have) it’s been a while and if it was going to happen I would suspect we would have heard from him-

Closing this bad boy down

Peace out