BRS Two part need help

TRENT

I think I'm ready to start dosing. I'm using Kent salt with water changes every two weeks (20-25 gallons). I have a some Zoanthids, a Lg Colt cora, a few Acans, a clam, 2 birdsnest (under 3") and a Acro (under 3"). What parameters should I be shooting for?

I have read:

Alk 7-9

Mag 1280-1300

Cal 420-450

PH 7.9-8.1

I added the Birdsnest and the Acro one week ago and have noticed my Alk, Mag and Cal dropping? Tested with brand new Salifert test kit.

Test as of today after WC:

Temp: 77.9

Salinity: 1.025

PO4: .03

Alk: 8.3

Cal: 340

Mag: 1230

Ph:8.2

When you are ready to dose, test at the beginning of the week, Don't do a water change during the week, and at the end of the week test again. Use the BRS calculator to figure out how much solution you need to get the parameters back to the starting point and divide by the number of days. Dose that amount each day and keep a close eye on the parameters. Once you get things dialed in its easy to dose and occasionally you have to up you're dosing amount.

When you are ready to dose' date=' test at the beginning of the week, Don't do a water change during the week, and at the end of the week test again. Use the BRS calculator to figure out how much solution you need to get the parameters back to the starting point and divide by the number of days. Dose that amount each day and keep a close eye on the parameters. Once you get things dialed in its easy to dose and occasionally you have to up you're dosing amount.[/quote']

Cool, thanks. Tell you how it goes.

keep doing research, those numbers are pretty normal and a good start. with higher quality salts becoming more available over the last few yrs, your higher end aquarists and breeders are more and more leaning towards nsw numbers. the elevated numbers calcium numbers arent really needed. look at other forums too as im sure you probably already do. reports of elevated methods are available, just do a few google searches. even on salt comparisons. i run mine at 8.5 alk and 365 cal along with mag at 1450. elevated my mag as "independent" studies note a clear decrease in problem algaes.

after you start dosing you will notice a large alteration or jump in your parameters each time you water change, dont stress. this is because of all the extras packed into salt we buy, coupled with just adding new salt water into the aquarium as normal. it will fall off quickly and your tank will consume these quantities and in 2-4 days your parameters will stabilize. no need to re-adjust your doseing rates at all!! success is very easy and once your set' no more work! its been the best thing i ever did!