POWER OUTAGE FOR 8 HOURS!!!

newfisher

I have a scheduled power outage for approximately 8 hours. Anything to worry about? I have 4 tanks and will have heat via woodstove. I am doing 2 20% water changes this week prior to keep oxygen , ph etc levels stable. I do not have battery air pumps for stones. i have lived in the same house for 22 years and this is the 3rd time the power has been out ( weird but true ). Fish and coral are shipped, trans shipped etc in bags for up to 36 hours and live, am I just FREAKING out? I'm trying to modify my wifes dusty excercise equipment with some belts and pullys to airrate the water and incorporate a pump, but she said she wouldn't have a place to hange the laundry if I moved them closer to the tanks...LOL

I would suggest just sending all of your corals up to my place. I think I can take care of them here...LOL

I can imagine that what you said with them being in bags for a day or so it should be fine.

Yes they might be fine...... since they do travel like that for a day or two. But why not make the effort to remove as much stress as possible?

I would suggest just sending all of your corals up to my place. I think I can take care of them here...LOL

I can imagine that what you said with them being in bags for a day or so it should be fine.

With 4 tanks and a FOWLR full of coral eating fish, your tank would look like the Saharah underwater in 30 minutes.

Yes they might be fine...... since they do travel like that for a day or two. But why not make the effort to remove as much stress as possible?

4 tanks and only one borrowed battery pump, Car batteries and inverters plus a 2 hour round trip just to "check" on them or stir the water has me leaning towards the "thats how they are shipped and shouldn't be a problem in their environment" approach. Just one more reason to go Solar at the house.

Here is something to think about;

when corals/fish are shipped, they are shipped by themselves. Only they can use up the oxygen in the water. You have an entire tank of critters who need O2 to live.

Battery powered air pumps at the minimum. I guess it also really depends on your bio-load. Keeping temp stable is going to be important, keeping it stable will also help with O2 levels.

If you need to you can just do the pitcher trick once every hour or two. I doubt 8 hours would be a problem (I've gone upwards of 48 hours without aeration during tank swaps) however as mentioned above it's better to be safe than sorry. I think keeping the temperature consistent is the biggest issue to worry about. Especially this time of year. There is one really compelling reason I can think of though to keep it aerated that would not exist during shipping. That being that you will have a wood stove burning which will be taking oxygen from the air "and" will raise CO2 levels. This could cause a big PH swing if you don't use the wood stove all of the time.

Hey Jon' date=' why not borrow or rent a generator or two and use them to power your tanks? When is this power outage scheduled? I might be able to borrow a generator from work.[/quote']

Thank you Batch, but seems like a pain vs. Time shut down vs. Risk ...I have a line on a gen set and a buddy that will install an external panel wired into the house panel,but as I mentioned....this rarely has happened and is still a few projects down on the list.

Algea, you can rule from my throne anytime, cause you are The $h1t

Hey Jon' date=' why not borrow or rent a generator or two and use them to power your tanks? When is this power outage scheduled? I might be able to borrow a generator from work.[/quote']

Thank you Batch, but seems like a pain vs. Time shut down vs. Risk ...I have a line on a gen set and a buddy that will install an external panel wired into the house panel,but as I mentioned....this rarely has happened and is still a few projects down on the list.

I am "The Grand Poobah Of Upper Bu**crack"!

I'm for the inverter, I have a 450 watter and I can run my Koralias and air pump no prob, I keep the Koralias on a sep power strip so all I gotta do is unplug the strip and plug it into the inverter, I also have one for the fan on my fireplace incert to keep the place warm. I have had the power out for 10 hours before and the car still started.