New Light

Guest Ahbrit

Guest Ahbrit

I switched out 2 of my Radium 400's today for the XM400's 20k

On initial visual test these bulbs have much higher light ouput than the radiums.(Unless my other 2 bulbs are so freakin old they've started to lose light output)

Has anyone else used these bulbs on a SPS dominated tank?

I Saw Travis was using them on his Acro Conony tank, which is really what made me try them. (Unfortunately i got there before the shipment was unpacked)

Guest Ahbrit

Frag tanks: Radiums 20K

Economy Colony tank: Coralvue 20K

Sweet Colony tank: XM 20K

Display Cube: Radiums for now (He mentioned swtiching them out for Xm's though)

Running PFO 400 duel ballest non-HQI,bulbs last 8-10 months vs. 6 months on HQI, with the HQI I would get a higher par rating but shorter bulb life. I'll have to look for the reefcentral link regarding the par rating, it shows bulb & ballast combos and their outputs, electronic,magnetic and hqi. I think this is it.... http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/index.htm I hope this helps. I am totally happy with my lamps, I don't think my sand is too blue or anything and I appear to be having some good growth rate. :confused: My colors look good too... IMO.

Guest Ahbrit

I agree Radiums Rock

I can't not appreciate the comparison in my tank though when i compare

The most appreciable difference was when only the center lamps were on(XM & Radium). the side the radium was on kept the farthest part of my tank dark, whereas the XM still lit it up slightly (Right side vs Left) (This is only possible on a 8' wide tank to make this visual comparisson). The lamps at this point had to light 4' of area.

And of course, back to my original point of comparing to 7 month old Radiums. It might not be a fair test

I am always experimenting, trying different bulbs. I switched to the XM 20k run off a HQI ballast over my acros and have really liked the colors that are coming out. So far I like them better than the radiums. It has only been about six weeks so we'll see. They are cheaper and should last longer than the radiums. I am mainly looking for a bulb that will maintain intesity for a longer period, my radiums are dropping off at about four to five months. Acording to Sanjay the XM's are the most effecient bulbs out there.

Still using radiums on everything else for now.

Travis

I am also running 400W XM 20K bulbs, with a dual PFO standard ballast. I really like them. I checked Sanjay's sight, and on a M59 ballast XM par is 128 and Radium is 90. That and the price were the main reasons I tried them. The XM were quite a bit cheaper.

Theron