just a idea

you want to grow-out fish? whats the purpose/point behind growing out fish? We grow-out corals because we can buy a frag, let it grow to a fraggable size, then everyeone who bought into said grow-out gets a frag of said frag. You can't frag fish, only a few fish, relatively speaking, are able to be bred in captivity, so what is the purpose behind a fish grow-out?

you want to grow-out fish? whats the purpose/point behind growing out fish? We grow-out corals because we can buy a frag' date=' let it grow to a fraggable size, then everyeone who bought into said grow-out gets a frag of said frag. You can't frag fish, only a few fish, relatively speaking, are able to be bred in captivity, so what is the purpose behind a fish grow-out?[/quote']

I think he means for a competition, I think there needs to be a distinction between the grow outs and the competitions, they are two different things. I think they are talking about doing a "grow out" competition...see who can get thier fish to grow the fastest.

I personally think that many captive fish are overfed to begin with, I personally don't think its best for the fish to push thier growth, as I personally think it shortens thier life span. I would rather have a slim average bodied fish than a sumo fish. I think corals are different than fish, in that having fast growth of coral usually indicates good husbandry, its a sign of doing something right, trying to get your fish to max size the fastest possible route is a little different in my opinion.

Again, this is only my opinion, I don't think pushing growth on fish is good for them.

I agree wholeheartedly David, my point behind all of the questions was, if you are going to bring up an idea, flesh it out, don't just say lets do it and leave it at that.

But I personally feel that a fish grow-out COMPETITION, there's that distinction, see how easy it was to make said distinction, pay attention to that part kid, is, inordinately cruel to the fish, and on top of that, pretty unfair to the competitors, fish will grow faster in larger tanks, faster and larger, than they will in smaller tanks.

Logistically it sounds like a nightmare trying to figure out how to measure, distribute, etc. The sps one was a pain in butt figuring out the winner and getting all the frags distributed. I can't imagine figuring out a fish competition. Count me out on that one. I still think another zoa growout would be the easiest thing to arrange.

if you want to do something like this but in a different more green way, do a captive breeding contest..... pick a hardy wild caught fish..... something that isnt already a mated pair..... something that isnt already being bred in captivity.. See who can get their fish to pair up and breed in their tank. All the while doing a journal on the progress. The successful winner could win a free school of the first fry, and a membership to Marine Breeding Initiative. All the losers receive a single baby from the winner as well. Doesnt this sound like fun?

If not, we can come up with a new drinking game and do a tank tour.