Update to the update of the special needs tank

Emerald525

Thanks everyone

So thanks to Jason H! The tank , stand and canopy will be here today!(clap)

Thanks Tammy for the offer.

Here is who I have for volunteers:

Markdadof2

Jackaninny

Beckie

Possible:

Gwynhidwy

Mr. S (moral support mostly)

Queen Angel

Electrokate

Backup:

Reefsafari (because he has no life) (laugh)

Volunteers keep me posted. Those on the possible list also confirm with me.

I can help too. You have a heater? Thermometer? Powerstrip(s)? salinity meter of some kind (am thinking plastic one with the correct level circled)

I think one of those Kent dripper things would be awesome too for topoff water.

Kate

JasonH will be deliving the tank today from Badguitarist and he was going to throw in some other things including a pump and then I will have a better idea of what else we will need.

What are you talking about regarding the "Kent dripper things" ?

I'm pretty sure we will need a heater but we were thinking of just buying a new one.

As far as a salinity meter. I don't like the hydrometer's because they are so inaccurate but would be simpler for a newbie to use and I suppose Beth could double check it from time to time with our refractometer.

Kent aquadoser

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/doserstosupplies/gr/aapraquadoser.htm

I like it for newbies because you don't have to explain about putting topoff water in the sump in an area of high flow "slowly" which is an arbitrary term. I add ph buffer with topoff myself to an aquadoser which puts it in the sump, all other additives I am ok with dumping in. To a "high flow area". Another arbitrary lingo set.

I know it's all a lot for a newbie, hard to know what to tell as too much info usually means you don't know when they stopped listening and started drooling. Do manuals come with the setup in Tanks for Teachers? Seems like a good idea.

I know plastic refractometers are wrong, but usually they are consistently wrong (: Plus if it gets dropped, lost or swiped it's not a huge deal. They probably should have something to use...

Found out I can't be there tomorrow, got a baby shower I forgot about. Good luck, let me know if you need anything. I am in that hood.

Thanks,

Kate

Kent aquadoser

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/doserstosupplies/gr/aapraquadoser.htm

I like it for newbies because you don't have to explain about putting topoff water in the sump in an area of high flow "slowly" which is an arbitrary term. I add ph buffer with topoff myself to an aquadoser which puts it in the sump, all other additives I am ok with dumping in. To a "high flow area". Another arbitrary lingo set.

I know it's all a lot for a newbie, hard to know what to tell as too much info usually means you don't know when they stopped listening and started drooling. Do manuals come with the setup in Tanks for Teachers? Seems like a good idea.

I know plastic refractometers are wrong, but usually they are consistently wrong (: Plus if it gets dropped, lost or swiped it's not a huge deal. They probably should have something to use...

Found out I can't be there tomorrow, got a baby shower I forgot about. Good luck, let me know if you need anything. I am in that hood.

Thanks,

Kate

There are no instruction manuals but I agree there should be one and I'm going to try to put one together with contact numbers.

I'm still not sure what we are going to do for top off. It may just be a 5 gallon jug of ro/di water that someone has to place. I'm open to ideas with this one

As far as water changes Beth and I were planning on doing those and maybe getting a few volunteers as well.

Mike the admin guy you met seemed really interested in helping out and learning more. He won't be there for the build.

Thanks Davy Jones! Jason H! Bad guitarist!

Thanks Jason H for bringing the tank and stand from Corvallis! You rock...(rock2)(rock2) and for the salt donation!

Thanks Badguitarist for the good deal on the tank, canopy and stand and putting doors on it! and for the donation of the pump

Thanks Davy jones for putting the baffles in and donating the sump

Nick at Rosecity for donating the RO/DI water, saltwater, live sand and some live rock to seed the likely dead rock

DSC07285ARW.jpg

DSC07268ARW.jpg

DSC07271ARW.jpg

We bought a heater on BRS and we have 65 dollars in funds with the leftover donationg from Steveweast and the money I am collecting for the auction!(clap)(clap)

Need:

1.Tesk kits

2. Hydrometer

3. Power head for 40b

4. Locks for the doors

5. Instruction booklet with contact information

6. Plumbing supplies Beth is going to work on this tonight between our own tank project

Confirmed volunteers I have

1.Markdadof2

2.Jackaninny

3.Beckie

Possible:

Gwinhydwy

Queen Angel

Electrokate

Reefsafari in a pinch

Tomorrow I will confirm with the Pioneer school admin that the doors will be open this Saturday at 2pm. He will not be there but some dude named Frank and I need to get his contact info!

Need:

1.Tesk kits

2. Hydrometer

3. Power head for 40b

4. Locks for the doors

5. Instruction booklet with contact information

6. Plumbing supplies Beth is going to work on this tonight between our own tank project

I have an extra hydrometer I can donate. I'll need to pull out the refractometer to "calibrate" it though. (Mark it where it should be reading instead of where it does)

Tank is plumbed!

The heater came today. We got titanium so hopefully it won't break!

DSC07301ARW.jpg

So Beth plumbed the tank today!(clap)

DSC07300ARW.jpg

She is going to put the locks on tomorrow night.

I got in contact with Mike the administrator and there will be someone to have the place open at 2pm this Saturday.Mike can't be there but I plan on meeting with him next Friday to go over with him the tank and I'm also going to write out some simple instructions and contact information. We're keeping the care as simple as possible

I still need the following:

1. Test kits

2. Powerheads

3. Thermometer

4. Timer

I have this auction going and will use the money to probably get some of the items above. Anyone have any they want to donate?Here's the auction:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?24440-TFT-Crown-Jewel-Favia-Auction!