Calling all photo gurus

h2odvl

Canon shooters: you get purple over the color of your blue tangs? My Canon 50D and my Dad's T1i can't shoot blue tangs or grammas with true color. I asked on another forum and the Canon users there all said you have to photoshop the fish to more normal color. Tried switching all the lighting thinking it was the bulbs, and tried all the presets along with custom K settings. No luck. Hmmm. Maybe I need to switch to one of those 5K LED lighting systems just so I can take better pictures of my blue tang and royal gramma (:

I need the phtography workshop next weekend. Now that you have your camera you should come too, it will probably be a lot of fun. One thing about photography, there is always more to learn. No matter how much reading I do every shoot reveals more. The internet has unlimited resources for problem solving too, and there are videos with lessons. I have learned more about photography in the last year than I did when I studied it in school.

Thanks,

Kate

Canon shooters: you get purple over the color of your blue tangs? My Canon 50D and my Dad's T1i can't shoot blue tangs or grammas with true color. I asked on another forum and the Canon users there all said you have to photoshop the fish to more normal color. Tried switching all the lighting thinking it was the bulbs, and tried all the presets along with custom K settings. No luck. Hmmm. Maybe I need to switch to one of those 5K LED lighting systems just so I can take better pictures of my blue tang and royal gramma (:

I need the phtography workshop next weekend. Now that you have your camera you should come too, it will probably be a lot of fun. One thing about photography, there is always more to learn. No matter how much reading I do every shoot reveals more. The internet has unlimited resources for problem solving too, and there are videos with lessons. I have learned more about photography in the last year than I did when I studied it in school.

Thanks,

Kate

I agree with you. But it took me a while to figure out the right settings for my camera to take good shoots of my blue tank. When I had just T5s it was a piece of cake taking pictures of the blue tank. Metal halides make a big difference when is about taking good pictures. Even the corals don't look as colorful with metal halides on the pictures.

The EOS 450D/xsi looks pretty similar to mine in features. How are you liking it so far?

One setting with halides I needed to change was contrast. Out of the factory it was set rather high, and I lost both the shadows and the highlights even on very well lit tanks. Also thought the saturation was set a bit low for reef tanks and botanical subjects. I aim to match the picture to the naked eye view, and out of the box the settings were not getting me there.

I like being able to choose spot metering when shooting one coral and you can make the camera focus only on the center as well, if you wish. Not so handy shooting groups of people or full tanks, so don't forget to change it back. Like I do (:

Kate

Okay so I have a quick question.

First the only pictures i've taken are with the $90 digital camera's that are just point and click so I have no idea what I'm doing :D anyways...

I just got a Cannon E0S Rebel XTi for free and I herd it's a decent camera. The lense says canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II. I can't take a single decent picture with this thing upclose on corals.. i've tried every setting and changing the iso and setting it to AV and using AI Servo.. nothing works for me. Out of a hundred pictures I got one that looks decent. I'll post it below. So from what I was told I need a Micro? lense or something.. so everyone that knows about cameras.. what lense should I get and where do I get it?

This was the only semi clear picture I could get and it isn't even that close to the coral

IMG_0355.jpg

The older 18-55mm isn't really a very good lense. I did take a few pictures with it that ended up in magazines however the lenses availabel now are a lot better. If you want a cheap lense that is considerably better then either get the newer 18-55mm IS lense (A good all around lense) or the 50mm f1.8. Both can be purchased used for less than $100 and are pretty decent. Also as someone earlier mentioned you need to watch the minimum focus distance and be sure you are not trying to get too close. A nice macor lense would help however it isn't necessary to have one for most pictures. (I don't own an actual macro lense)

www.dpreview.com is your best friend.

They give the Canon T2i their Gold award. I must say it is an amazing camera for the type of camera it is. However, it did fell a little plastic to me.

I've heard this before although I don't get the same feel. I've had mine for 8 months or so and I'm still impressed with how great the pictures turn out.

Thanks,

Kate

Taking photos with accurate colors is a particularly hard challenge with reef tanks using any camera because the temperature is beyond what either the cameras or most photo editing programs are capable of being adjusted to handle.

To the original post. As others have mentioned the choice between cameras is more or less a matter of preference. With decent glass any camera will be capable of good pictures in the right hands. I use Canon myself and can provide advise on them specifically however there also is nothing wrong with using a Nikon or any other camera as long as it meets your needs.

The EOS 450D/xsi looks pretty similar to mine in features. How are you liking it so far?

I like being able to choose spot metering when shooting one coral and you can make the camera focus only on the center as well, if you wish. Not so handy shooting groups of people or full tanks, so don't forget to change it back. Like I do (:

Kate

I just got got it last night and I like it.

It is a Canon Rebel XSI with a 18-55 IS lens.

I just took a few shoots really quick. Here are the examples:

5349993579_89780596c5_z.jpg

5349991129_be8ae975f6_z.jpg

5350598796_24c6f9e55c_z.jpg

5349987315_4b50a27e9c_z.jpg

5350601658_69a4dd1133_z.jpg

5349996155_0b635d9a3f_z.jpg

5349998941_7e0200ef98_z.jpg

5349992803_92438e2353_z.jpg

When shooting tanks you can improve colors a lot by using the custom white balance function. Get a new, clean piece of PVC pipe (white obviously) and drop or hold it in your tank under your normal lighting conditions. Fill the viewfinder with only the pipe and press the shutter and save as your custom white balance setting. Depending on your camera the setting should be saved until you change it.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about from YouTube:

I just got got it last night and I like it.

It is a Canon Rebel XSI with a 18-55 IS lens.

I just took a few shoots really quick. Here are the examples:

Are these shot with Jpeg or Raw? If they are Jpeg then increase the saturation a couple of notches up. Might also bump sharpness up a notch also. If they are Raw then do it during post processing using DPP (Canon Digital Photo Professional).

They are jpeg. Is the changes post or pre shot? I'm guessing post because I don't see a sharpness adj on my camera :)

I'm starting a photography class on Monday. We'll see if it helps

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There is an adjustment in the camera to adjust the sharpness, not sure exactly where with that particular model though. If you get to the meeting today I can take a look and show you how to set it. The changes with Jpeg are a camera function that occurs immediately after the picture is taken and before the image is saved to the card. With Raw this isn't applied until post processing and is selectable. I.E. You can choose whether and how much to change it.

Note: I just pulled up the manual for that camera and it is pretty much the same. Look on page 82 of your User Manual to customize a picture style to bump up the saturation and sharpness a bit.