Calling all photo gurus

h2odvl

Looking to get a new camera. Thinking of a dslr, like rebel xt or t1i

Don't mind going used thinking of something 8mp or higher. I don't need it to take video. I want to take pictures of tank/fish/coral and sometimes people and architecture. What do you recommend I get/look in to. Price range 550 max

Thanks

That is a tough question because so much of it is personal preference. You have your hardcore canon people and your hardcore nikon people ect ect. My wife is a professional photographer and she really likes the Nikon D90 for cost and features. It my even be a bit more than you are looking for but she says the Nikon D60 is also a very suitable dslr. She tells me that both these cameras have plenty of options and can be upgraded as far as your budget will allow. Take a look.

My wife also does some photography as a side business and she uses a nikon. She has a few photographer friends that use Nikon as well. The D60 is a solid option as well as the D90. Nikon has come out with some new cameras in the last year so there are probably even more good options.

one thing to remember with dSLR is that the glass is more important then the camera. Get the main features you need in the body then spend the cash on good glass. It may benefit you to go down to Pro photo downtown and have them show you a few cameras in the used and new sections and see what fits you best. They are super helpful and can really get a feel for what your looking for exactly when you tell them your shooting habits. They tend to have some good deals on used stuff too so you may score pretty big while your there...

Everyone has their camera preference. I like Pentax for quality, cost, and the number of inexpensive used lenses. Plus you can use any pentax lenses (old or new). You only need and adapter if you want an old screw in lens. Not all will have auto focus though. Plus the auto focus motor is in the body of the camera and not the Lens. You also might want to look at some older used lower MP cameras. Could save you a lot of money. I have the Pentax K100d. Its only about 6mp but have printed shots up to 16x20" with no problems. Might want to give this a read about Mega Pixels.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Everyone has their camera preference. I like Pentax for quality, cost, and the number of inexpensive used lenses. Plus you can use any pentax lenses (old or new). You only need and adapter if you want an old screw in lens. Not all will have auto focus though. Plus the auto focus motor is in the body of the camera and not the Lens. You also might want to look at some older used lower MP cameras. Could save you a lot of money. I have the Pentax K100d. Its only about 6mp but have printed shots up to 16x20" with no problems. Might want to give this a read about Mega Pixels.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I'll 2nd the mp thing, more isn't always more... I had another good link too but I can't find it. Basically the same info though...

You can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. My sister is a professional photographer and she prefers Nikons. She goes through several every year (after 200k -300k photos). She tells everyone it is a personal preference thing and both brands have advantages. My wife (semi-pro) uses Canons. The main difference that I have noticed is the higher end Nikon glass costs considerably more than the Canon.

Snowpunk and Finch are correct about the kit lenses. They are pretty much junk compared to a quality lens. We always buy the camera body only, then spend the money on nice glass.

Okay so I have a quick question.

First the only pictures i've taken are with the $90 digital camera's that are just point and click so I have no idea what I'm doing :D anyways...

I just got a Cannon E0S Rebel XTi for free and I herd it's a decent camera. The lense says canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II. I can't take a single decent picture with this thing upclose on corals.. i've tried every setting and changing the iso and setting it to AV and using AI Servo.. nothing works for me. Out of a hundred pictures I got one that looks decent. I'll post it below. So from what I was told I need a Micro? lense or something.. so everyone that knows about cameras.. what lense should I get and where do I get it?

This was the only semi clear picture I could get and it isn't even that close to the coral

IMG_0355.jpg

Okay so I have a quick question.

First the only pictures i've taken are with the $90 digital camera's that are just point and click so I have no idea what I'm doing :D anyways...

I just got a Cannon E0S Rebel XTi for free and I herd it's a decent camera. The lense says canon zoom lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II. I can't take a single decent picture with this thing upclose on corals.. i've tried every setting and changing the iso and setting it to AV and using AI Servo.. nothing works for me. Out of a hundred pictures I got one that looks decent. I'll post it below. So from what I was told I need a Micro? lense or something.. so everyone that knows about cameras.. what lense should I get and where do I get it?

This was the only semi clear picture I could get and it isn't even that close to the coral

Your XTi has a Macro mode on it (an icon that looks like a flower) are you in that mode when shooting rather than full auto?

Also for close up shots' date=' use a tripod, turn off flow in tank and use a remote trigger or timer.[/quote']

+1 on the tripod. You don't need the most expensive carbon fiber model but don't get the cheapest Ebay model either. I think Sunpak still makes some decent models at reasonable price points and you can find them around town at places like Shutterbug.

Bought a Canon EOS 50D last year with 100mm macro and 24mm consumer grade, since read the kit lenses are pretty sad. Having shot alongside a shooter with a D90 plus several friends with Canon Rebel packages I can compare the results side by side, and the Nikon kicked all our Canons' butts. Better low light and speed performance, far far less grainy and more accurate color in poor light. Nikon can shoot outdoors at night by the light of a firepit and get a decent portrait...

Lenses for the Nikon are more expensive, but if I could do it again I would choose Nikon hands down. In fact am probably going to sell my whole outfit and get a Nikon at some point.

Pro Photo guys can get very weird especially if you don't want to spend pro bucks. Try Advanced, they are great. Prophoto does rent though.

Are you looking for a DSLR for sure? I have seen some fixed lens cameras in that price range with all the features of the DSLR plus vibration reduction. From a price point of view considering the consumer DSLR lenses are not so hot, I think the fixed lens cameras are a good value that will last a while and be more portable. Plus you won't spend a grip on accessories with a fixie camera. Photography makes reef aquariums seem like a cheap hobby once you get hooked...

You can't really go wrong with Pentax. Not so many bells and whistles maybe but a good value and well made, well designed gear. They last a long time, unless you drop them. (: Speaking from experience. I bought a camera based on whether or not I can splash water on it and drop it without breaking it.

Kate

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM - ~ $900 new

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM - ~$500 new

Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro (oldie but a goodie) - ~$275 new

Pro Photo Supply (NW PDX) will rent lens so you can try one out before purchasing one. For sure get a tripod and use the timer function. Also clean the tank glass before shooting.

www.dpreview.com is your best friend.

They give the Canon T2i their Gold award. I must say it is an amazing camera for the type of camera it is. However, it did fell a little plastic to me. Just last week I bought a new Canon 60D. The thing I like best about this one is the articulating LCD. It's hard to beat when you put the camera in awkward positions, and it's the only DSLR to have this feature. Since nowadays, most of the features are compareable, ultimately it comes down to what fits well in your hand. The new Nikon D7000 gave my hand cramps after about 5 minutes. The 60D fits my big hands perfectly and feels well "balanced" in my hand.

Bought a Canon EOS 50D last year with 100mm macro and 24mm consumer grade, since read the kit lenses are pretty sad. Having shot alongside a shooter with a D90 plus several friends with Canon Rebel packages I can compare the results side by side, and the Nikon kicked all our Canons' butts. Better low light and speed performance, far far less grainy and more accurate color in poor light. Nikon can shoot outdoors at night by the light of a firepit and get a decent portrait...

Lenses for the Nikon are more expensive, but if I could do it again I would choose Nikon hands down. In fact am probably going to sell my whole outfit and get a Nikon at some point.

Pro Photo guys can get very weird especially if you don't want to spend pro bucks. Try Advanced, they are great. Prophoto does rent though.

Are you looking for a DSLR for sure? I have seen some fixed lens cameras in that price range with all the features of the DSLR plus vibration reduction. From a price point of view considering the consumer DSLR lenses are not so hot, I think the fixed lens cameras are a good value that will last a while and be more portable. Plus you won't spend a grip on accessories with a fixie camera. Photography makes reef aquariums seem like a cheap hobby once you get hooked...

You can't really go wrong with Pentax. Not so many bells and whistles maybe but a good value and well made, well designed gear. They last a long time, unless you drop them. (: Speaking from experience. I bought a camera based on whether or not I can splash water on it and drop it without breaking it.

Kate

The body you choose is nearly irrelevant over time the money you spend on lens will dwarf what you pay for a body today. The 50D is a FANTASTIC unit (as is the D90) and I guarantee you that a practiced user will be able to outshoot both of them with a $400 G9 all day long.

The great thing about choosing a camera today is that between Nikon and Canon is almost impossible to go wrong. Play with both and pay attention to which one fits you best ergonomically and which platform has a better lens selection for your interests (won't matter to 75% of the people shooting).

Thanks for all the info. I'm going with a canon rebel xsi because of the memory card and price. I have a few cards and found a camera with lens for $400. I'll be getting a macro lens in the future I'm sure, I'll try to rent a few first thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you want to play around with macros, you can get a cheap Raynox clip on. Ive gotten some great results using one. I'm not saying its anywhere near as good as a macro lens, but if you don't want to fork out the cash for a lens right now and want to play around with macro, I say give it a whirl. I think I got mine for like $40 from ebay when I first got my camera.