Tankerald's 150gal SPS tank build

tanktop74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good' date=' nice work on the drilling. Its a little scary isnt it, standing there with the drill (scratch) on the first hole (scary)[/quote']

Thanks Steve, yes it sure was nerve wracking doing the first hole.... but after that it was piece of cake!

Beth, a quick suggestion on the drain 90's....

Use a T instead :P It's quieter...Do you remember how loud our tank was with the 90's? We put a T in place an it's almost completely silent now, just switching from the drilled like yours are 90 to the T cut 95% of the noise out.

agreed also do this to the top of the "T" to fine tune the airflow this is on my 120g

photo-1.jpg

Yep' date=' you've earned your "wings". I havent seen that overflow design before but the air lines on the 90"s look interesting with no mods in the overflow box. I'd like to see how it turns out.[/quote']

looks like a glass-holes.com kit. i had that same setup on my 100g and the tubes got clogged and caused the toilet bowl flushing sound then i switched the the "T" style and it went away. i didnt think of the valve until earlier this year with my 120g

also if you used the bit that the kit came with i bet it took a long time to drill it? that bit is meant for glass tanks....you could have used a regular hole saw on acrylic.

More plumbing updates!

I got the last hole drilled on the top of the tank today for access to the overflow... Boy drilling with a cordless battery powered drill sucks!!! I think I may have just done my poor drill in!

Anyhow... I did take all of your plumbing overflow ideas and went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of stuff to change it up a bit and then went and talked with Alex, after mulling it over with him, and looking at his overflows, (he has one set up just like mine, only smaller, and ones like you guys were talking about). Both kinds make some noise, so I have decided to take my chances and use the overflow kit parts like it was intended.

So here are the few pictures of what was accomplished today!

plumbing4.jpg

plumbing2.jpg

plumbing3.jpg

Beth

I have a question about the schedule 80 pipe. Isn't there a chemical leaching problem with that kind of pipe? I had gotten some and when I was cutting it the smell of petroleum was overwhelming and thats when I thought I had read somewhere that youre not supposed to use schedule 80 so I got 40 (white) instead. O-ya and the guy at HD also said it should only be used for water if it was a drain not for drinking or anything like that, thats the other reason after I smelled that I got freaked out.

I have a question about the schedule 80 pipe. Isn't there a chemical leaching problem with that kind of pipe? I had gotten some and when I was cutting it the smell of petroleum was overwhelming and thats when I thought I had read somewhere that youre not supposed to use schedule 80 so I got 40 (white) instead. O-ya and the guy at HD also said it should only be used for water if it was a drain not for drinking or anything like that' date=' thats the other reason after I smelled that I got freaked out.[/quote']

Kinda freaked me out, when I read this!!!(scary) I ran and checked the plumbing I just did and the only thing I can see is many people use PVC right? but Kim and Beth (And me) are using ABS.

I checked the manufacturer and the ABS I got is Schedule 40, So I am assuming as long as its Schedule 40 you can use either PVC or ABS?

Great job on the tank(rock2) I really like my Glass Holes Overflow alot, they are a bit noiser than the videos they made on thier website, but I really am not bothered by noise, some people are really picky and want thier tanks super silent, but it doesn't bug me.

Looking good Beth. I also like the 'all black' style: pump, stand, plumbing!

The tank is gonna be open top and you are gonna move 1500gph between the sump and the tank: there will be some noise.

The ocean is noisy as well :)

Thanks Alex, unfortunately it will not be all black as you will see with my next pictures.

As for the black pipe... you all have me a tad worried now... should I have not chosen black?? I Thought it was all the same if it had schedule 40 written on it... maybe not? Hmmm gunna have to check my black elbows and wye to make sure they are sch 40 too!

Thats what it was ABS the black stuff from HD. I smelled so bad like petroleum when I was cutting it. It is not safe for aquariums. For Waste water only. The schedule part is the inside diameter differences. NO ABS PERIOD. I guess they have mildew inhibiters. When I went to cut that stuff it stunk somthing awfull and the PVC has never smelled like that.

Beth, if you have room give more 'air' to the output of the sump. That 90 degrees could be too tight and generate cavitation. This is also what is written on the Reeflo manuals and they are always right :)

With tow 45 degrees you probably only loose 2 inches of space, but your pump will be more happy :)

I don't know what bulkheads are made of. All I know is the ABS that I got from HD stunk like asphalt tar and used motor oil when I was cutting it and I wouldn't use it on my tank. What does not potable mean? JME not trying to hijack your thread. Sorry

Bulkheads are made of ABS. The trays for coral propagation used by coral farms (and sold also by our sponsor Sunlight Supply) are made of ABS.

ABS is not made for pressure applications while tap water is under alot of pressure. This is the reason why ABS is not used for potable water (against the law in some countries, like in the US).

The smell it produces when heated (through cut) is due to the presence of polybutadiene.

If you see it that way, even pvc is known to have effects on health of fish and inverts, because it contains phthalates. This link is interesting: check out the pyramid of plastic

http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics/pvcdatabase/bad.html

Beth, if you have room give more 'air' to the output of the sump. That 90 degrees could be too tight and generate cavitation. This is also what is written on the Reeflo manuals and they are always right :)

With tow 45 degrees you probably only loose 2 inches of space, but your pump will be more happy :)

Are you talking about the 90 out of the sump or the two 45's right before the pump?

the 90 out of the sump. if you can' date=' put two 45 there too[/quote']

I looked and looked at home depot... couldn't find a male thread by slip 45! I was going to change it but am not finding what I need!

Also... Here is what I have for "glue"

glue.jpg Looks like I need a different primer for the black abs... well actually I will need to replace these two also, as I can't get them open, cemented themselves shut I think! YAY another trip to home depot.... maybe I should try Lowes for the 45's.