Tankerald's 150gal SPS tank build

tanktop74

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin good ladies' date=' maybe you should tink about ripping that carpet out before you go any further an doing tile around the tanks lol[/quote']

LOL the carpet is toast already so why worry about it.DOH! That innocent looking blue barrel in the picture is the one that runs over when certain people forget to turn off the ro/di water...(whistle) We are going to put an acrylic tray on the bottom for all the equipment to contain any minor spills and dripping.

Getting up the nerve....

Ok, I think today will be the day....

I am prepared to drill, just getting over my nerves and will get up the courage to drill our tank this afternoon.(scary)

Here is my prep for the overflow, measured 3 times, looks good to me.... what ya think?

tank1.jpg

Here is another view with the overflow sitting right above the holes I will soon drill, keep in mind that the overflow gets installed inside, so I will be drilling one hole in the top of the tank for access to install bulkheads and for cleaning if needed in the future.

tank2.jpg

Beth' date=' you have the same style overflow as I do...You don't need a hole to install the bulkheads, and if you put it on right, you can actually remove it for when you need to clean it :P[/quote']

You have the glass holes dart overflow too?? If installed per instructions I have to put my hand in overflow to tighten bulkheads. And there is a baffle you have to install after putting in the bulkheads, So... I can't figure out another way to do it... If you are seeing something I am not will you please tell me!

Thanks Mick!

Beth

Beth, once you drill the holes, install the bulkheads and then see if the overflow box will fit over them, if they will, then you're golden, the overflow will stay on without sealing it in anyway, and anytime you need to clean it you can just remove it, no need to drill holes in the top of the tank lol.

If you put it on the right (or left) instead of the center you should be able to clean it through the truvu "holes" (the ones you have already).

I have the same overflow and tank and I keep it clean that way (often... like once a month or it gets clogged)

I clean it from the top this way, removing the noise flange (not easy sometimes for coralline). I suggest you to put some black acrylic on top of it to reduce the amount of light that goes inside the overflow so you will have to clean algae less frequently

This is what I got accomplished yesterday!

IMG_20101229_161645.jpg

This is our new RO/Di unit that also filters chloramine!!

I also was given permission to buy the dosing pump and lighting yesterday! (Thanks Kris for hookin me up on a great deal on the pump!!)

Alex is coming over on Friday to give me moral support as I drill holes in the tank!! Thanks Alex(rock2)

My goal is to have this up and running by the Jan Meeting!

What I got done before the end of the year!

I finally got the nerve up to drill the tank tonight(scary), wanted to get it done before the new year!!!:D

Here is a photo log of the progress that was made tonight! I am happy to report it was very fun and I am excited I was able to do this all myself!! (clap)

firsthole.jpg

holes2.jpg

holes3.jpg

holes4.jpg

overflow.jpg

The above picture of the overflow is just to show how it will look, it is not completely installed yet, just kinda sitting on the bulkheads.

plumbing1.jpg

Beth

Beth, a quick suggestion on the drain 90's....

Use a T instead :P It's quieter...Do you remember how loud our tank was with the 90's? We put a T in place an it's almost completely silent now, just switching from the drilled like yours are 90 to the T cut 95% of the noise out.

Beth, a quick suggestion on the drain 90's....

Use a T instead :P It's quieter...Do you remember how loud our tank was with the 90's? We put a T in place an it's almost completely silent now, just switching from the drilled like yours are 90 to the T cut 95% of the noise out.

Hey thanks for the tip... this was a kit, one that Gilliroo used on her 90gal that I helped her plumb... she has same set up only a little smaller and you can't hear a thing! Its awesome... So I am hoping for the same effect!

I tried that deal like you're doing, you've seen it lol it was loud as hell, now we can actually sleep at night, it's amazing LOL.

Luckily it's a quick fix, drain the tank down below the bulkheads an pop the 90's off an put the T's on, if it comes to that lol.

Well if its noisy then I will let you tell me I told ya so.... but truly do you think we will actually hear much more down there with the other tank, all the pumps and fans going down there???