Corals for Cancer

rubberduck9

I have been thinking about this for awhile and thought I would bring this to light. In the short time I have been involved in this forum I have come to a few certain truths. First, we are definatley all different lol (hence the bickering) but thats normal. Next, would be that all most all of us (my self included) are very passionate about our hobby. Last, but most impotant the people I have come into contact with on here have very large hearts! I have witnessed many acts of selfless compasion and kindness. Who knows, maybe it comes with the hobby, eaither way it warms my heart. Il get to the point, I have been struggeling this year. My mother has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and has started kemo. She recentley lost her hair and looks to be a shell of herself. She has about a year and a half of kemo left. My sister had breast cancer years ago but has beeten it and is years in remision. Its hard because through the years if my sister or mom was upset, hurt, injured, whatever it was, me and my dad could fix it. We cant fix this, we stand by and offer support and watch our loved ones in terible pain. My point is I believe we can make a difference! As reefers we are compasionate giving people. I would love for this forum to get together in a fight against breast cancer! Maybe set up a nuetral paypal acount or something and whenever people want to they could donate money into the acount to be given to a breast cancer charity. We all have coralls that we sell sometimes just to make space, maybe have a auction every once in awhile. Just an idea and not trying to guilt trip anyone into doing this. But i truely feel from the bottom of my heart we can make a difference! Thanks.

Patrick

I agree Patrick this is a great community. Sure there is some drama and bickering but really compared to all of the good it is minimal. People here have really big hearts. I like your idea. I was impressed and proud at how many people stepped up with supporting the little girl with cancer. I have also been thinking that we need a paypal account for tanks for teachers and could really do more with this program. By the way I have an aunt who specializes in hair pieces for chemo/cancer survivors. PM me if you are interested.

Sounds good, it needs to be setup in an account that won't be abused, probably something our treasurer should handle. Or better yet as funny as it sounds if you sell a coral and get money make the direct donation yourself. We could setup a contact and info page as another option for easy donation so that there is not a third party involved. It also reduce paypal fees to the receiver of the funds and reduce risk of theft or other issues that could possibly occur.

I know we can all donate individualy' date=' but I was really hoping to make this a group effort though. There is power in numbers, and together we can make an impact.[/quote']

Patrick personally what I have found is in order to get anything like this rolling someone has to take charge and run with it and be the point person for it which sounds like that's may be you.

I don't know how you go about setting up a paypal account for charity. All I know is when I did the raffle for the child with cancer and said it was a donation paypal freaked out and said I wasn't allowed to do this unless I sent in a bunch of paperwork and I could not publicly post our paypal account.

People are willing to help and donate but you need one person with a passion to keep the ball rolling.

Cancer has been a common word used in my family for the past couple years :(. I have a grandma who is in remission with breast cancer and a aunt who is terminal. Whatever I can do I don't have alot of money right now, but I could maybe sell corals here and there to help the best I can.. I hope the best for your Mom. I will pray for you. :)

Mike

THANK YOU!

Thank you to all of you! And thanks for the prayers! Yeah im broke as well my friend. I figure even if its just a small frag of whatever it can add to the impact we can have as a team. This terible thing impacts all of us in some way shape or form, and with that we are all conected. I have contacted the national breast cancer asc. and am waiting for them to aprove my aplication. I can set up a page were we can all post coral frags whenever we can for a price and all the money can go to this charity. I just have to work out the kinks. Also remember even though this is a breast cancer charity a portion of the money goes to research for the cure to all cancers.

First off my thoughts to all that are dealing with this........ it's horrible.

How about this for an idea.........

Lets choose a month, and then we all try to be ready to sell/buy some corals from each other in that month. Maybe at a meeting we can do this or though a post, whatever it is.

Then we collect all the money that was donated and brought in from sales of said corals, (be it all of the sale price or a %), and make a lump donation to the Cancer Society.

We choose all this in advance and set it up so everyone has plenty of notice. We should be able to get a nice little sum together!!!