xbox 360 network help!

Ron Popeil

ok so this is my problem:

i have an xbox 360 downstairs. my modem and router are upstairs. for years ive been using a 50 ft ethernet cable to connect the two. its not long enough to do this conspicuously...so its draped over a banister down the wall over the carpet. major tripping hazard. girlfriend not pleased.

so a friend came by, unraveled his spool of cat5 ethernet cable and we ran it upstairs very well. perfectly hidden. maybe 75 feet used.

this is where it gets weird.

if this cable is plugged into the router and then plugged into the 360 downstairs, the 360 will not be able to connect to the internet. it wont even recognize its hooked up to anything.

but if you hook the other end from the router to a lap top...it will connect to the internet just fine.

ive had two friends with networking experience over and we have gone over everything to try to figure this out to no avail. now, i would like to pull from your collective experience. any ideas? anyone want to come over and fiddle around with it over a beer?

suggestions? ideas? solutions? anything?!

my first thought is that your ethernet port on the xbox could be faulty. It isn't that common but it is definitely possible. Have you tried to hook it up with a second ethernet and maybe closer to the modem? Generally you don't want to change two variables while trouble shooting but it shouldn't matter here. Get a second cable and try it in another room that that cable will reach from(assuming you don't have another huge one).

How are the ends made up on the cat5 cable? If they are not made up in the correct sequence, some equipment will not recognize the signal. Some newer computers, and other pieces of hardware will recognize miswired connections and translate. I believe the correct sequence is

orange/white---orange---green/white---blue---blue/white---green---brown/white---brown

Hope this helps.

Gabe

im no pro but want it sounds like to me is that 75 is to long and the signal just cant make the distance through the cable...i would try to get a thicker gage cable if they make one...or your best bet would be to get the wireless router..100 bucks but worth it...or even better get the new xbox 360 that is black and the wireless router comes built right in!!!

I don't believe that the cable is too long, I curently have a 96 foot home made patch cable between my router and x-box that we use for netflix. The cable is cat6, but I am not using cat6 terminations, so it should not perform any better than cat5.

Gabe

75 feet according to network cable standards is too long.....but those typically are guaranteed successful data transfer without packet loss. I could swing by and check it out if you want.

The maximum length for a CAT5 cable segment is 100 meters or 328 feet. In reality it's about 90 meters leaving 5 meters at each end for patch cord length to connect equipment etc.

My guess is a bad crimp job at one of the ends.

Just to be clear the network cable between your router and Xbox was the only thing you swapped out correct?

How are the ends made up on the cat5 cable? If they are not made up in the correct sequence, some equipment will not recognize the signal. Some newer computers, and other pieces of hardware will recognize miswired connections and translate. I believe the correct sequence is

orange/white---orange---green/white---blue---blue/white---green---brown/white---brown

Hope this helps.

Gabe

Gabe....nice pin out....although I prefer to see the white first....either way nice....but....he stated that he hooked up a laptop and it worked. At first I thought maybe he was using a cross cable. But I am trying to remember if the Xbox had a unique preferred pin out.

I would ensure that the replaced cable matches the new cable as far as pin outs go....that would be my first place to check, then verify that the setting on the Xbox (ip settings) are refreshed.. The shorter cable. Change port on router.

The maximum length for a CAT5 cable segment is 100 meters or 328 feet. In reality it's about 90 meters leaving 5 meters at each end for patch cord length to connect equipment etc.

My guess is a bad crimp job at one of the ends.

Just to be clear the network cable between your router and Xbox was the only thing you swapped out correct?

I stand corrected. Nice call.

http://www.homenethelp.com/Web/explain/maximum-cable-length.asp

Thanks Eric for the props. My concern with the pinout is that if it is not in the correct order with the green pair sepperated by the blue pair most hardware will not recognize the info transmition. Some newer computers will translate any order of pinout as long as there are no crossed wires.

Thanks Eric for the props. My concern with the pinout is that if it is not in the correct order with the green pair sepperated by the blue pair most hardware will not recognize the info transmition. Some newer computers will translate any order of pinout as long as there are no crossed wires.

Yeah I always taught it as "you put the boy between the girls legs" I tried other methods but that saying right there always stuck in there heads. I can ask anyone I taught and I can promise you they all remember.DOH!