Amino Acids

mytshall

What size tank? How long has it been setup. What kind of coral and how much of it? (alot of sps frags/colonies and a few of this and that) or (mostly LPS and a few SPS frags/colonies a couple chalices) Nutrient level? No matter what you'll want to start SLOW and really pay attention to your corals. Over doing it will lead to diatom/algae blooms.

I have approx 120g of total volume after displacement

Tank is all sps moderately (matter of opinion) filled and growing. Nutrient levels are low last checked phosphate was .03 hanna checker nitrate 0

I use biopellets in a reactor for N&p reduction and so far it appears to be working.

Ok well as far as the Pro skimmer goes you'll have to ask Reefnjunkie or Grassi as I only use the Omega. But for the Omega, on my 250g all sps tank I use about 6 to 8 drops each evening about 2 or 3 hours before my last lights kick off for the night. About 30 min after lights out is when I feed. The omega really stimulates the polyp extension into "feeding mode". So IMO you should start with 3 maybe 4 drops of the Omega at first 3 or four days and just watch how things react. Do this tonight before lights out and if you can't get an answer from either of those two tonight look up the Elos forum on R C and guage your PS dose from others experience. During these first few days I would try and read as much as I could as its better to learn from/through others experiences.

My suggestion would be to start with the low range, 1 drop per 26 gallons I believe if memory serves (pro skim) and then 1 drop per 13 or 16 was it on the AA.

I did notice a little algaeish type of "thing" starting up, but hten again I was doing slightly less than the max amount they suggest-

I stopped using it since I am moving things in about 60 days-growth was getting out of control-LOL

tough problem to have, but if you have seen my tank-I dont have real estate to spare

I did all my dosing in the am when all lights wee out and polyps were extended on everything.

Good luck-hope yo get similar (positive) results

In the instructions for the Omega at least it addresses this issue. I know it said if you start to notice a bloom to stop dosing but I can't remember if it said for only one time or a few days or what but then I believe your supposed to reduce your dose amount and then continue daily. So you should look into that.

• 1 month later...

Doing well here. A lot of growth on sps. Lps looks like growing at the same rate.

I had some green cyano, but I don't think this was the cause because I found out I was running old filters on the ro/di, even if the tds was at 0 they were leaking po4.

I use it in conjunction with their liquid food as suggested, but I dose way less then the instructions

I'm now using the Pro Skimmer along with the Omega now also, mostly because I need heavy feeding but don't need heavy algae. An update from those who implemented the Omega and ProSkimmer awhile ago would be cool, i'm curious. Thanks Harold

I was one of them that started using amino and the pro skimmer. Growth increased for sure and my only wild colony really started to come to life. I haven't been dosing it for a few weeks now, I have a bad case of bryopsis come up and I am afraid that it might help fuel the problem.

Frank some of the earlier posts talked about dosing amounts. I use 6 to 10 drops for 300g Omega and am experimenting with Proskimmer but somewhere around there for it to right now. Which is far less than the 1 drop per 13g the directions call for which is NOT recommended.

I am also starting this up again, I will do better at documenting it but I did stop because things where doing to good as I posted.

I have been moving things into my 150 and using the PS to help in geting the tanks water full of nutrient-it may not help but I dont think it will hurt either.

So far so good most sticks are fully open.

Slow and easy

I still dose at the low end of the recommended dosage for both the PS and AA-I dose every other day

I had to slow down a little for some problems too: bryopsis and then green cyano.

From about 10-15 each (about 210g) I went down to 5 every other day. Also, as Brad, I have no room in my 65 anymore, so I prefer to slow down a little until I upgrade.

This products is not new, so you can use it safely. You can get better results depending on many other factors, but in general it will help your sps.

Also, after a while you will learn how much to dose. You can see the polyps opening more after you dose, so you can use that as a guide.

I ended up dosing the amino before the lights goes off and the skimmer after the lights are off. This is what somebody using this products for more than 5 years suggested.

My sps were already growing fast, but I can say that elos amino, pro skimmer and a new trace elements mix made it even faster.