Melenarus wrasse

icel

What is the difference between the males and females? Pics?

And I guess mine is a male?

The females are not quite as bright. The look faded, they are smaller an have a spot on their tale which the males don't have. From my experience the tend not to bury themselves as much and are much hardier than the males

• Like 1

My male loves brittle stars, you'd think the body part would not fit in his mouth but he makes it fit, then sucks down the arms. So if you are attached to brittle stars but want a flatworm eater get a smaller wrasse like H chrysus, the "yellow coris".

They chase white leg hermits mercilessly, causing them to go nocturnal, but rarely actually getting the crab. I am missing one cleaner shrimp, assume a wrasse is to blame but no way to prove it. In the months since I have not lost the other skunk or debelius cleaner shrimp.

Used to have acoel flatworms in that tank, the kind that are round and brown and sit on soft corals, but the wrasses ate most of them. (Clowns ate a few). Oddly I have the flatworms in another tank with a H irisis/radiant wrasse, and he does not eat them.

I had 3 melanurus wrasses in my 120, but one female jumped through the eggcrate. Now using solid acrylic lids. The remaining pair spawn from time to time. Also have a pair of H chrysus that spawn. I have exactly zero expectation at success breeding them but I still bang my head against the wall trying. Would like to find more female melanurus wrasses to get more eggs, and a female iridis.

Kate

this is the best security guard fish ever. If it's a pest he will hunt for it and eat it. Very active and friendly to most if not all other fish too... As long as these are available there is no need for a pesky 6line wrasse...

totally agreed. As long as these are available I will avoid putting a 6 line in my display at all costs....well....actually now I would love to put a 6 line in(naughty)