lower calcium

cschwarz

as of right know i have been using instant ocean. my CA is about 550-600 :( i am using Aqua test expert line CA. to test all my stuff. everything is where it should be. i have 6 clams lol and three sps and lots of LPS and softyes.

Instant ocean does not mix (ca) that high, My guess is your test kit is not accurate, its being used wrong, you are adding something (dosing)

Ca just does not raise on its own-

This is not meant to read as condensending my point is something is missing.

Post the gammit on your tanks params equip etc i.e.;

how long tank has been running (since your join date was last month), what you have on it, Reactors, dosing etc.

On the surface the only way I can see your Calcium being that high is the salt is a freak batch (unlikely) test kit is not accurate or being used properly (more likely) or some type of powder, liquid etc is being added or dosed (also more likely)

Very odd if none of the above is true

Instant ocean does not mix (ca) that high, My guess is your test kit is not accurate, its being used wrong, you are adding something (dosing)

how long tank has been running (since your join date was last month), what you have on it, Reactors, dosing etc.

On the surface the only way I can see your Calcium being that high is the salt is a freak batch (unlikely) test kit is not accurate or being used properly (more likely) or some type of powder, liquid etc is being added or dosed (also more likely)

I think I knew someone with a bad batch of salt but I can't quite remember who it was....Hmmmmmmmm.......

Oh yeah that was me!

But in reality everything Brad is saying here is very true. Need more info before anyone can make a suggestion for you.

Not too many times I agree with reefnjunkie, but this time I do. Something is not kosher in Denmark. We need more info.

Mix up another batch of water and check the calcium level before putting it in the tank. The only reason it would increase the calcium level is if the level of the fresh mix is higher than what is in the tank already. If it also tests high then take a sample to the LFS and have them test it to be sure the test is right.

Ya doesn't this happen at +500 ?

Leads to the test kit!!

It depends upon the other parameters as to what point precipitation starts. It can be 300 or 650. In my experience as long as the other parameters are close then it starts somewhere around 600.

The Elos calcium test kit is kind of complicated as I recall. I would take a sample of your water to an LFS and ask them to test it for you. How old is the test kit? How big is the sample you are using? And Like some of the others here asked, we really need to know what your KH, and Mg levels are. Have you been dosing any calcium or mg supplement?

So I took a sample of water that I mixed with my instant ocean sea salt down to SWF and the CA was sitting at about 500 without adding anything to it. Does that mean bad salt batch? My test kit I got new from SWF about three month ago. Here are the rest of my readings:

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Phosphates 0

Calcium 550

PH 8.2

Magnesium 1700

Alkalinity 10

I can see know a few thing need a little work. But all fish, corals and clams are looking great!