HELP!!!

NoobtoSalt

Ok so I got a powder blue tang (yes I know that this is typical) and it seems to have come down with some sort of disease (purchased almost a month ago btw). I'm pretty sure it's not Ich and that it is Velvet. I will attach a picture of what it looked like when it was still alive..(flame)

My clowns seem to be rubbing a little more than usual and I also lost the purple psuedochromis that I was going to sell. Is there anything that I can do as a prevenative so I don't loose more fish? It already sucks that I lost the most expensive fish in the tank but what can I do to save the rest of the tank? Corals seem to be doing just fine and I just checked my parameters and they are all in-line with where they typically are.

It's already sad that the fish died so I don't need to hear "why did you put a powder blue into a 75 gallon tank".

I know I've said this before but until I get a much larger tank I think I'm done with Tangs.

2010-12-16144150.jpg

• Like 1

Dang that sucks Jesse, sorry to hear. My suggestion would be to remove all the fish to a QT tank and treat them. Keep them in the QT for at least 4 weeks. This will ensure your display is disease free. If you QT all future fish as well, you shouldn't run into this again.

Good luck man, that was a nice fish. I've always wanted one :(

You sure it's not Ick Jesse? Sorry to hear that. Love those fish. I just bought a UV sterilizer from Aquariansaltwater. He's dropping it off today. You're welcome to borrow it.

One of the main reasons I didn't think it was Ich is that my tank has had Ich many of times with my previous blue hippo tang and the clowns never got it. My little naso seems to look decent but I also have a feeling that this powder blue didn't allow my cleaner shrimp to do their jobs.

It looks like velvet. I imagine there is a clear film or little flakes on him and possibly floating in the tank. That is from the parasite. I lost an Emporer angel that was about 8 inches to it last year. You need to QT your other fish right away and get them in some medication. Only took it 2 days to wipe out nearly all the fish in my tank.

Ok so one of the clowns is acting kind of wierd. It's away from the nem that it hosts and is almost hiding from everything. I just fed the tank and it ate but seemed as if it has nerve damage or something. The only thing I can compare it to is when Chiclids mate they kind of shake a little. I've never seen this guy do that before. I'm probably just freaking out since the powder blue died but just seems like an odd thing to do otherwise. It is the male as well not the female.

Sorry to see a beautiful Powder Tang looking like that, Powder Tang are like Achilles Tang very difficult to keep from disease. To be honest i don't think it'll make it!

Vin B.O.M "Blue Ocean Marines Inc."

It didn't make it. I was worried about the rest of the fish in the tank now.

I will own another Powder blue just not in this tank. I have been pretty fish heavy anyways so this is probably for the best. If I loose my clowns I will replace them in the near future but I really don't want to loose my bi-color anthias or my leopard wrasse. Those three fish seem to be doing just fine as well as one clown.

That's where I'm at, Coral Tank, Its nice and clean though. Mine started dieing when we were away in Oct, The last went when I was back, Only one not affected was a sand goby which I'm taking to a temp home today then eight weeks I guess without fish

• Like 1