Equipment Choices...

VetGirl

I have ~8 years with freshwater fish and planted tanks, but my husband and I would like to get into marine. We are rather overwhelmed by all the choices we need to make concerning equipment. My husband wants to order everything from DrsFosterandSmith and get it here ASAP, but I would like to do a bit more research. We have a 125 g tank and are thinking about putting in a 40 or 55 g sump. The tank has no built in overflows, and we'd like to make the tank a room divider (keep the visible equipment to one end), so we were told a continuous siphon overflow would work for us. We'd like to do a semi/aggressive FOWLR tank once things are up and running. So...specifically, what brands/models of pumps and skimmers (and RO/DI units?) would you recommend? I read somewhere that "Sea Line" pumps are the same as Eheim, but under a different name--anyone have one? What about Mag and Gen-X? My husband also thinks he'd like an Ocean Clear 325 (the one w/ micron filter and carbon)--is this worth the money? All we have so far are tank, stand, and canopy...so what would you buy if you were starting out?

Thanks in advance!

(welcome) (To) (P) (N) (W) (M) (A) (S)

Since you have a computer...

Check out MarineDepot.com

They have (I think) better equipment, prices...

check your LFS for deals on equipment and you will need to stock the tank right? Much better to see the fish and ensure that they are eating.

If you are only doing FOWLR then a good protien skimmer would be first. I do not use a canister filter... but some do.

Good luck with all and keep us posted.

I use my 125g long as a room divider with hang-on overflow at the end by the wall dropping into a sump under the cabinet. I pull out of the sump through an Ocean Clear canister back up a 10' run in the canopy to the opposite side of the tank so I don't have to look at hoses. Research on how to make an overflow not gurgle. Someone can speak up on the "term" to look up, I forgot. I don't really need the Ocean Clear (it came with a used setup), but it does polish the water nicely...may take it out though soon, filter socks seem to take out a huge chunk of junk before my skimmer. (need to clean socks fairly often..washing machine works I hear) Keep in mind both items are nitrate factories unless you rinse it. I do my canister every water change each month. With the canister and an inline pump, mine takes up too much room below so be sure to measure with a large sump you're thinking about. I'd stay away from Little Giant pumps. I've had one spring a leak and someone gave me a 2200g/hr replacement and it's so hot my QT tank in the cabinet doesn't need a heater.

Also, keep in mind how long of a run you do with which gph pump you buy. I output mine to the opposite side of the overflow to help ensure all the water gets circulated....no research on that, just my thinking, but takes a more powerful pump.

I'm sure you'll hear it over and over and we've probably all learned with saltwater, take it slow...only bad things happen fast. Also, research and learn from everyone else's purchasing mistakes.. it will pay in saving in the long run since many people here are always selling and upgrading :)

bigalsonline.com often has better prices than Marine Depot and Dr Fosters.

Since you want to go semi-aggressive.........I agree that a real good skimmer is a must. (first thing)

Lights don't need to be anything special so use the money for other equipment. Space will be your biggest obstacle so plan out how much room all the equipment will take up in the stand and get the biggest sump possible.

Thanks for the info--it's good to know what NOT to buy as well!

I tried reading about skimmers on the Reef Central forums, but just got more confused, what with all the abbreviations and modifications. How about a Euro-Reef RS135 (would this be suitable)? Marine Depot has a table showing Average Rating (ave. load 135gal) and Comparative Rating (up to 300gal)...anyone know exactly what this means?

TIA!

Hi and welcome!!! I moved from planted discus to marine recently, too. :D Nice to meet you! I hope you post lots of pictures of your progress and your tank! (clap)

I am a newbie too (got our first tank set up April 06). The LFS person that put our tank together last year put in a rather smallish generic triple-pass Berlin skimmer.. It wasn't sufficient, so we moved up to a My Reef Creations skimmer based on reef blog advice. We now have an MRC-MR2 on our 180g, and it's an unbelievable improvement. It foams like nothing I've never seen and keeps the water pristine. These skimmers are pricey (you could get an MR-1 for $275, and it's rated for up to 175g), but I think it's worth the investment, since marine stock is not a quickly renewable resource and can be very expensive.

http://www.myreefcreations.com/ <--The site

I agree with BADBaxter about Marine Depot. I've ordered lamps, live stock, and other products from them, and everything arrives on the doorstep great, on time, and in perfect condition, for a reasonable price.:)

Is your tank acryllic or glass?

I have Rios, Seio, and Tunze powerheads in my tank. The Tunzes are GREAT on output and keep a good current, but you can't use them for wavemaking (you wont need that with FOWLR anyway). The Seio is too bulky and the Rios are too weak IMO. I hear Sea Swirls on the return are great...

I'm still learning, and these (PNWMAS) are some of the nicest folks around and very helpful!!

Please post updates and photos! I'd love to see your progress... and Good Luck!! (fingers)

Holly~

If your handy and are able to wire up ballasts and things, lighting can be cheap, check out these guys

(hellolights.com) and (reefgeek.com) they usually have nice prices on things

they have other equipment too... and for an RO, I would just go with a "bare bones" unit, they are pretty basic, and as your tank starts to get more complicated you can upgrade any RO pretty easily