Director of the OLCC resigns after getting DUI

Fenmere

Just had to share this......booboo This sign is for her

"The executive director of the O.regon Liquor Control Commission resigned Thursday morning, five days after being arrested on a charge of drunken driving.

Lonn Hoklin, spokesman for Democratic Gov. Ted Kulongoski, said Teresa L. Kaiser e-mailed her resignation to members of the OLCC board of directors Thursday morning.

She was arrested Saturday night by Portland Police for driving under the influence near the Ross Island Bridge in Portland, said spokesman Detective Paul Dolbey.

No word yet on what her blood-alcohol level was.

"Due to circumstances that I deeply regret, I am resigning as executive director of the commission," Kaiser wrote in the e-mail.

She said she will return on May 15th to tie up loose ends and say her good byes.

"It's safe to say when you're in a highly visible position, and represent the state liquor laws and enforcement, this is to be expected," said OLCC spokesman Ken Palke of the resignation.

He called "devastating to us who work here that something like this happened. It's a situation that happens all too often."

Although Kaiser had a contract with the commission, she serves as the board's pleasure, Palke said.

Kaiser assumed the post Sept. 15th, 2003, after several years with child support services in Maryland.

She is a graduate of Portland's Lewis and Clark Law School and worked as an attorney for seven years as well as in liquor enforcement in Colorado and W.ashington. She was an OLCC inspector from 1981-1982.

The OLCC board will hold an emergency meeting at 10 a.m. Friday to appoint an acting director.

"The governor naturally is very concerned about this. But he has total confidence that the commission will handle this and do the right thing," Hoklin said.

Statewide, liquor sales are on track to reach $722 million -- $77 million more than projected a year ago -- for the two-year period ending in June 2007, according to state estimates.

During Kaiser's tenure at the liquor control agency, the OLCC began a two-year pilot program to allow sales of distilled spirits in separate liquor stores within supermarkets instead of in traditional state-run outlets. So far, the pilot program has brought in more revenue than expected, the agency has said. But the pilot program has upset some existing liquor agents, who say it will create unfair competition.

When reached at her Portland home Wednesday night, Kaiser would not comment. "

Ironic?

Ang

A little off the topic but what business does the state have in running liquor stores anyway. Any other state has liquor distributors and competition in the market but here the state sets all of the pricing.

I am willing to bet that in a week I could cut over a billion dollars out of this states budget just in excess bureacracy. It is like I can't cross the street without the state holding my hand. Sorry looks like I need to spend more time in the venting forum. Only had to work 13 hours today at the shop so I guess I need it.

scary There's no such thing as a venting forum luckily.

Ah, you big chicken! laugh

But I do agree, Sean. I am constantly shaking my head at the excesses of government; whether it be city, county, state or federal.

Stacy