Melting Anemone??

XrayGuy

So, I have had this nem for about 1.5 weeks and it has been extending its tentacles all over the place and opening big and stuff and looking healthy the whole time until I just got home today and it looks like all the tentacles are deflated...almost a melted look, but nothing has come apart at all. I was going to move it and its foot is still stuck pretty good the the rock it is next to, so I wanted to post here before detaching it to see if indeed it looks like a melt and I should remove it completely or leave it be. Unfortunately, somehow I neglected to take any pics of it since I got it until now, so there is nothing to compare it to. It is a Condylactis Anemone (according to Seahorse) HELP!

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Does it look like the tentacles are moving at all on it's own? If so it's probably just trying to expell waste.

A few of the tentacles are still inflated a little and blowing in the flow as normal, but the majority of them just look like they are laying there lifeless or something. I waved my hand by it a bunch to try to see if it would close up and it did nothing.

"A few of the tentacles are still inflated a little and blowing in the flow as normal" what amount of flow is it getting that it is "blowing?" You will know a melt down as it will literately fall apart. If this happens remove ASAP and do a water change and carbon. Till then a little less flow and just weight. It will let go of it's hold if it wants to move. It may be getting ready to purge. If it starts turning inside out. ALEAVE IT ALONE but keep an eye on it. No feeding, or bothering it till it's done.

Good Luck

"A few of the tentacles are still inflated a little and blowing in the flow as normal" what amount of flow is it getting that it is "blowing?" You will know a melt down as it will literately fall apart. If this happens remove ASAP and do a water change and carbon. Till then a little less flow and just weight. It will let go of it's hold if it wants to move. It may be getting ready to purge. If it starts turning inside out. ALEAVE IT ALONE but keep an eye on it. No feeding, or bothering it till it's done.

Good Luck

I would say that the flow is "low" where it is located.

I agree with Noob, leave the nem where it is and watch it.

Did you feed it yesterday?

Make sure you have carbon on hand in case it does die on you, you will want to run carbon if it dies.

No I have not target fed it since day 2. I do have 5 gal of water mixed up ready to change some if need be.

touch the tentacles, if they are sticky then its probably still doing ok, if they don't have any stick at all then the nem is going downhill and will most likely die. nems are a very difficult thing to keep alive in captivity. sometimes it takes a few tries before you'll get one that will make the transition.