What should people do with items won in a raffle

Emerald525

What should people do with items won in a raffle  

1. 1.

• A:Yes
    • B:No
    • C: Not sure/undecided
    • D: I'm liking the bonfire idea and lighting unwanted items on fire!

lol.....all I think of is "THIS IS SPARTA!!!"....THIS IS PORLTAND!!!! ;).

As for the PAR meter....I know it has been requested numerous times in the past. But I would assume those requesting it....like me....already borrowed one from else where to do what they had to do.

The club bought a PAR meter right? Wouldn't we rather have the board working on a check-out system for that than telling people what they can do with their own stuff?

I started working on that a few weeks ago. I opened a thread in the board and we wrote down the to-do list.

Seems easy but it is not.

Some problem that we have:

logistics (southern and central oregon)

battery change (a pain and potential risk of breaking the instrument)

instructions (poor)

case

plexy support for accurate reading (without it is pretty impossible to use)

deposit amount

kind of deposit

... and a few more points

Sorry for the out of topic

Maybe it should be said to sponsors who bring this up in the future that we discourage the selling of raffle items, but we don't deny the winners the right to do what they want with the items.

Bob this is a good idea. As long as I am the VR Officer I will use this, THANKS!

What's great about this club is that paying members and non paying members have the same voice!!! Note the tone of sarcasm there.....

This argument should be in the members section, since it relates to club policy.

Then the person that started this should have placed it there.

But I agree it is a "MEMBERS ISSUE" not a forum issue.

And yes I agree we need to give memebrs more rights then non-memebrs.

This is what I can add as the VR Officer:

It is NOT easy to get vendors to donate to the club! Yeah you can get all the food samples and such but to get the stuff that people want to buy tickets for as raffle items is alot harder. All the money that is raised is used to help improve the club in some way. It has been that way for along time. And raffle items have allowed the dues to not be raised in along time, (until the server change caused an increase). So I ask you to remember that we are walking a fine line. We have to do what will keep both sides happy. We cater to the sponsors to get raffle items so we do not have to ask "YOU" for more money to keep this thing running. And by doing so some of you do not like what needs to be done. But now go the other way......... because of some of the things that have been going on on this forum we have some that do not want to donate to us.

So trust me it isn't easy to walk that line and make everyone happy.

We are trying to do our best. Please understand that.

On a personal note I want to see this club become a "large player" in the national eye. I think we have the membership numbers to do so and we have some people/LFS's in this area that can bring attention to the club also.

So since I have been on both sides of this debate, (twice- since this is my second tour of duty on the BOD). I ask that try to understand both sides of the aurgement and stop and think about it.

THANKS!

• Like 1

This is what I can add as the VR Officer:

It is NOT easy to get vendors to donate to the club! Yeah you can get all the food samples and such but to get the stuff that people want to buy tickets for as raffle items is alot harder. All the money that is raised is used to help improve the club in some way. It has been that way for along time. And raffle items have allowed the dues to not be raised in along time, (until the server change caused an increase). So I ask you to remember that we are walking a fine line. We have to do what will keep both sides happy. We cater to the sponsors to get raffle items so we do not have to ask "YOU" for more money to keep this thing running. And by doing so some of you do not like what needs to be done. But now go the other way......... because of some of the things that have been going on on this forum we have some that do not want to donate to us.

So trust me it isn't easy to walk that line and make everyone happy.

We are trying to do our best. Please understand that.

On a personal note I want to see this club become a "large player" in the national eye. I think we have the membership numbers to do so and we have some people/LFS's in this area that can bring attention to the club also.

So since I have been on both sides of this debate, (twice- since this is my second tour of duty on the BOD). I ask that try to understand both sides of the aurgement and stop and think about it.

THANKS!

Thanks for posting this Michael. Very informative!

Michael....I am not disputing with you. But I will say when I was running the GOC's it was quite easy to get donations from the sponsors. I am sure after all the recent drama it is much more difficult. But it wasn't really all that hard at all.

I think really the only problem here is that the donating sponsor didn't voice their concerns before hand. Then the item went up for sale and they were all like "hey....I could have made that money" So in future raffles....it should be specified before hand as to what the sponsor wants to happen....or not happen with their donations. But let's be honest....it isn't really going to matter. If the winner wants to sell it they are going to post it on CL, RF, RC, R2R, or any number of sites.

I have explained this to another member in another forum and will share it here.

Sponsors only have to donate X number of dollars for their yearly sponsorships to the club. Most of the time they end up donating well in excess of what is asked of them. In some of their minds they are anticipating that the item will be won by somebody that needs, wants and truly appreciates the item and may not have the means to aquire the item (Either monetary or whatever else.)

It is disheartening to them to see the item won at a raffle to only be sold the next day by a member for monetary gain when the item is either not needed or wanted.

The BOD/Officers tried to remedy this situation this year by putting a brown bag in front of each item to be raffled. If an item was not wanted/needed then the person would not put tickets in for that particular item. One fault of ours is that the particular thought was not shared with the group at the xmas party.

Now I have followed the other threads about this subject and am not trying to start this debate all over again. I am just trying to elaborate on the subject in a way that I have not seen it described yet.

Now I understand that Doug was the victim of this situation and for that I am sorry but that was the feeling that was felt when this all started.

This item is also being discussed in the members area.

Dave