What should people do with items won in a raffle

Emerald525

What should people do with items won in a raffle  

1. 1.

• A:Yes
    • B:No
    • C: Not sure/undecided
    • D: I'm liking the bonfire idea and lighting unwanted items on fire!

Seems that in the bod we are leaning for the 'no you can't sell the raffle price' while here it is showed the opposite.

Let's do something instead of going trough a never ending debate: let's move this decision to be voted in the member section with an official poll (sorry Kim!).

It seems to be an important topic, so let's the majority decide.

What do you think?

I agree that it should be voted upon by the membership. I do happen to agree with Kim however. The results will be similar.

Maybe it should be said to sponsors who bring this up in the future that we discourage the selling of raffle items, but we don't deny the winners the right to do what they want with the items.

Rick, in this case the concept of legal and moral don't walk on the same side.

A moral value can be the fact of not selling a donated price of a raffle.

I like to see us as a responsive community.

As Alister MacIntyre said, "the term responsive denotes that the society is not merely setting and fostering norms for its members but also is responding to the expressions of their values, viewpoints and communications in refashioning its culture and structure"

It is just a manner of point of view, not ignoring, believe me.

Leave it to Grassi to find some historical, yet relevant quote....

Let me get this straight....it sounded like you said that the BOD was considering making discrimination acceptable forum policy????(nutty)

No, you are interpreting my words. I said that at now the majority of the bod see the issue in that way.

Honestly I don't see any discrimination, that's your point of view as I have mine.

rephrase....

Leave it to Grassi to find an educated (historical or Sociological) quote to post.(naughty)

Moral values were cited and they belong to sociology.

You don't have to quickly read a quote from " to ", you have to try to understand it and apply to the contest :P

Rick' date=' in this case the concept of legal and moral don't walk on the same side.[/quote']

Is it morally okay to change or create new rules for a game after the game has started?

No it is not.

Is it morally okay to accept payments for a raflle (which is a form of lottery) and then tell the winners "after" they purchased the tickets what they can and cannot do with the items they purchased?

Since it may have effected the choice to make the purchase or not I do not believe so.

Sadly based on what you said about the vote I do not believe the BOD is working in the best interest of anyone here. The sponsors deserve as much exposure as they can get (I personally think the event sponsors should be listed in a sticky at the top of the events forum too) and the club deserves to sell as many raffle tickets as they can. Placing limitations on what can be done with the prizes will have a negative impact on both.

Seems that in the bod we are leaning for the 'no you can't sell the raffle price' while here it is showed the opposite.

Let's do something instead of going trough a never ending debate: let's move this decision to be voted in the member section with an official poll (sorry Kim!).

It seems to be an important topic, so let's the majority decide.

What do you think?

I vote to have a vote! (rock2)

Is it morally okay to change or create new rules for a game after the game has started?

No it is not.

Is it morally okay to accept payments for a raflle (which is a form of lottery) and then tell the winners "after" they purchased the tickets what they can and cannot do with the items they purchased?

Since it may have effected the choice to make the purchase or not I do not believe so.

Sadly based on what you said about the vote I do not believe the BOD is working in the best interest of anyone here. The sponsors deserve as much exposure as they can get (I personally think the event sponsors should be listed in a sticky at the top of the events forum too) and the club deserves to sell as many raffle tickets as they can. Placing limitations on what can be done with the prizes will have a negative impact on both.

What you guys seems to not understand is that this is not the white house.

We don't have the the time and tools to predict issues.

Our 'in-law' it is 20 lines long: the bod is asked to fill this gap.

It is morally ok to create new rules when an issue arise? yes it is.

It is morally ok to put limit on a raffle made of donations? yes it is

We can go ahead with this forever, it is a manner of point of view.

You have yours, I have mine. That's why there is a bod representing you.

Inside the bod there are members with your same point of view and other ones with a different approach.

You can't say that the bod is not working in the best interest of anyone.

No it is not.

I agree with you Rick. I do not think it is right to prevent raffle winners from selling in the classifieds when this was not stated upfront at the time of the raffle when people bought the tickets. This is the part that I do not think was handled well. I do think this is okay to do (even if I do not agree) in future raffles if this is what the board decides because that would make me think twice about what items I chose.

You also make a good point Rick in regards to the sponsors and actually having our vendor relationship person possibly feeling out what the majority of the sponsors want and think is best if this has not been done already.

Andy, that was awesome!!!

What's great about this club is that paying members and non paying members have the same voice!!! Note the tone of sarcasm there.....

This argument should be in the members section, since it relates to club policy.

Unless it was stated specifically in advance to the people that purchased the tickets the BOD has no legal or even moral grounds by which to limit what the winner does with those items. (I'm not sure it would even be legal to place such a stipulation) Limiting what they can afterwards though may actually make the BOD legally liable for any damages doing so may cause.

Better call that lawyer then!!!! I find it hilarious when people whip out the ILLEGAL card.

Hi Mr. Lawyer I would like to sue my local reef club. I won a $250 piece of equipment for a $5 raffle and they won't let me sell it on their board. Think we can get a cool mil out of it?

Good luck with that one.

I would worry more about a complaint to the State AG or such that might imperil the non-profit status of the club or cause the club to have to fight such a complaint. I think that is a very real issue.

I'm going to sell a sign that says 'donation' on it at the raffle

I'm going to trade for the donation sign.

You can only donate a For trade sign. This is the new rule lol

I'm going to buy the trade sign

I'm going to donate a For Sale sign to the next club raffle and watch everyones' head explode.

I'm going to win the for sale sign and donate it again so that it can never be sold in the forum!(laugh)(laugh)

Who is on first and what is on second?(nutty)

What am I missing here? Wouldn't the easiest path have been to say 'Sorry [iNSERT SPONSOR HERE] that your raffle donation is listed in the classified section so soon after but we don't think it's any indication of quality or value. At the same time, we don't feel it's fair to enforce a policy that was not written and communicated beforehand. In the future we will give donors an option to make clear what 'cooling off period' they would like for their donation. Thank you again for your generous support.'

What am I missing here? Wouldn't the easiest path have been to say 'Sorry [iNSERT SPONSOR HERE] that your raffle donation is listed in the classified section so soon after but we don't think it's any indication of quality or value. At the same time' date=' we don't feel it's fair to enforce a policy that was not written and communicated beforehand. In the future we will give donors an option to make clear what 'cooling off period' they would like for their donation. Thank you again for your generous support.'[/quote']

I like it (clap)(clap) I think it should be our new mission statement!:D

What am I missing here? Wouldn't the easiest path have been to say 'Sorry [iNSERT SPONSOR HERE] that your raffle donation is listed in the classified section so soon after but we don't think it's any indication of quality or value. At the same time' date=' we don't feel it's fair to enforce a policy that was not written and communicated beforehand. In the future we will give donors an option to make clear what 'cooling off period' they would like for their donation. Thank you again for your generous support.'[/quote']

Probably....but we don't like "easy"(nono)