What should people do with items won in a raffle

Emerald525

What should people do with items won in a raffle  

1. 1.

• A:Yes
    • B:No
    • C: Not sure/undecided
    • D: I'm liking the bonfire idea and lighting unwanted items on fire!

Actually Dennis I thought the discussion was pretty enlightening and I think everyone was pretty civil which is hard to do in this forum. When I first saw the thread for the regulator my thought was "cool 414 gets some pocket change and someone gets sweet deal on a regulator". I never saw it as offensive or tacky and found it interesting to see what people's issues were.

I have to agree Kim. I have to say I enjoy a little thought provoking discussion on occasion. Especially when everyone does so in a civil and mature manner, which in my opinion everyone has.

I voted A. If I paid for the ticket I should be able to do anything I want with the item if I win. It's not like they were given the ticket for free and told before hand that if they dont use it for their own personal use that the ticket would be void.

I will say that if there are rules to what I can and cant do with stuff I win in a club raffle I wont be buying any tickets in the future.

Dont hate, just my 2 pennys worth..

What your saying here is that we should not buy raffle tickets for items we might not use? Is this the clubs official stance? If so it means fewer tickets will be sold.

Yep! You want to make $$$ go play the lottery. Don't take advantage of a club and its sponsors to help you make your $$$. If you don't need it, donate the money to the club. This is my opinion and does not represent the club

No it wasn't. It was for the club to raise money. A purpose which is served by more tickets being purchased regardless of what happens to the items afterwards. I've bought raffle tickets in the past with the full intention of selling the items "if" I won knowing that the odds were against it but that by doing so the money would go to a good cause even if I didn't win.

Again, you want to make $$$ play the lottery. Do not take advantage of the club and its sponsors to make your $$$

Why does it matter? Do you think most of the sponsors donate these items just to do a good deed? No, they are doing so for the financial gain from doing so.

Because someone was trying to make a point that trying to win items for the sole purpose of reselling them helps the club, thats why. And how are they gaining financially when they donate an item for free, then lose ANOTHER sale because the person that won that item will sell it for $20 less than the sponsor? Where is the financial gain again?

Anyone that purchases a couple of raffle tickets is not doing so from being greedy. If they are greedy they will keep their money in their pocket since the chances are better that they will have something when they leave.

This point is obviously out the window. People did buy raffle tickets and then turn around and sell them to make a quick buck.

Unless it was stated specifically in advance to the people that purchased the tickets the BOD has no legal or even moral grounds by which to limit what the winner does with those items. (I'm not sure it would even be legal to place such a stipulation) Limiting what they can afterwards though may actually make the BOD legally liable for any damages doing so may cause.

Better call that lawyer then!!!! I find it hilarious when people whip out the ILLEGAL card.

Hi Mr. Lawyer I would like to sue my local reef club. I won a $250 piece of equipment for a $5 raffle and they won't let me sell it on their board. Think we can get a cool mil out of it?

Good luck with that one.

I'm not directing any of this to any particular person. This is my opinion on the matter and nothing more.

I think the nice thing to do is only enter drawings for stuff you will use. But you don't have to be nice if you don't want to.

If you want to donate to the club, but don't want to win anything. You can donate cash. Or if you win something you don't want, donate it to the next event's raffle.

These are JMO. I find it strange that the seller's post would be removed. Once it is your item, shouldn't you be able to do whatever you want with it?

I personally wouldn't care if there was a profit motive or not. You won you should be able to do what you wish. If the donating sponsor wants to whine than that is THEIR problem....

I personally like how thread after thread gets pulled for "review" by the board.....meanwhile we have non board members that are privy to the threads and topics being discussed by the board. This place is so backwards it isn't even funny anymore

PNWMAS....a club for sponsors....oh....and members can post too providing you don't sell anything, knock the sponsors who screw you over, or share any honest opinion without previous sponsor approval....DOH!

which sponsor should I PM to make sure it is ok to say that?

I personally like how thread after thread gets pulled for "review" by the board.....meanwhile we have non board members that are privy to the threads and topics being discussed by the board. This place is so backwards it isn't even funny anymore

Way to try to stir up the big brother thing Eric!(clap) There is no secret society. I find simply sending a pm to one of the board members or asking them what the heck is going on is how I find out what's going on. You should try it sometime instead of simply jumping to conclusions. I find it a much more useful way to get the other side of a story.

Yep! You want to make $$$ go play the lottery. Don't take advantage of a club and its sponsors to help you make your $$$. If you don't need it, donate the money to the club. This is my opinion and does not represent the club

This point is obviously out the window. People did buy raffle tickets and then turn around and sell them to make a quick buck.

Better call that lawyer then!!!! I find it hilarious when people whip out the ILLEGAL card.

Hi Mr. Lawyer I would like to sue my local reef club. I won a $250 piece of equipment for a $5 raffle and they won't let me sell it on their board. Think we can get a cool mil out of it?

Good luck with that one.

Wow Miles, I have to say this is one of the more inflammatory posts in this thread. I agree the threatening to sue does not hold much weight. Anyone who has had to hire a lawyer (me) can attest to that.

The reason people are upset is this whole thing was handled poorly. Again I'm not trying to be critical. I too have made mistakes. I'm just saying the "My way or the highway or good luck with that lawsuit" statement only serves to turn people off. And I agree statements that "I'm going to sue" are not useful either.

I get accused of stirring up drama but more often then not I'm just calling things out that I do not think are right. In this situation it was the board that actually stirred this up. My thought is the classified thread would have been no big deal and barely noticed and been done by now.

What made it a big deal is that it was shut down and then there was this rule in place after the fact of the raffle that no raffle items could be sold with really no explanation so people are left to jump to conclusions and likely wrong ones.

Truly all I'm looking for is to see both sides. As of yet, Stylaster has not posted what the situation was that provoked the threads being pulled in the first place. Are all the sponsors complaining (not likely)? Is it just a few who complain all the time? Do they really feel that selling a tunze regulator is going to cost them a sale?

We do not all have to agree but people do want to be treated like adults and given the information and see both sides of the argument sponsors and members side and maybe come up with a compromise.

It also does not sit well with me the threats from sponsors that I'm no longer going to donate and I'm not going to support the forum if I don't get my way.

I personally wouldn't care if there was a profit motive or not. You won you should be able to do what you wish. If the donating sponsor wants to whine than that is THEIR problem....

PNWMAS....a club for sponsors....oh....and members can post too providing you don't sell anything, knock the sponsors who screw you over, or share any honest opinion without previous sponsor approval....DOH!

Wow, way to sensationalize, over generalize, and post false info all in one post!!! Good job man!

I was pretty sure at some point in time during the meeting that someone said they didn't want to see this stuff up for sale on the boards. I didn't win anything anyways but I don't recall who said it. From the looks of this thread maybe I was the only one that heard that statement.

Eric, did you notice that you are contradicting what you just stated in this other thread 2 minutes ago: http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23826&page=5 ?

You blame the forum for all the drama and you are always in the first line when there is a pot to stir.

I would like to remember you that officers and bod members were voted to represent you. If you feel like the way we operate is not fair, you are free to candidate yourself as a officer/bod for the next term.

I was pretty sure at some point in time during the meeting that someone said they didn't want to see this stuff up for sale on the boards. I didn't win anything anyways but I don't recall who said it. From the looks of this thread maybe I was the only one that heard that statement.

That statement was made off handedly, after the drawing. There is no set policy about reselling of raffle prizes written anywhere into the club by laws or terms of membership. The initial post of the item for sale did not break any rules.

Being on the BOD is not a fun job, I have been there, and I know how tough it can be. That said, by becoming a BOD participant, you are elected by the people who pay their dues to be members and you should represent their interests, not the interests of sponsors. By making a stand against a member who is trying to sell his property because a sponsor said not to, does not, in my opinion, represent the member, it represents the interests of the sponsor. What is the main goal of the club? Is it to make money? Or is it to educate and exchange information?

Way to try to stir up the big brother thing Eric!(clap) There is no secret society. I find simply sending a pm to one of the board members or asking them what the heck is going on is how I find out what's going on. You should try it sometime instead of simply jumping to conclusions. I find it a much more useful way to get the other side of a story.

Wow Miles, I have to say this is one of the more inflammatory posts in this thread. I agree the threatening to sue does not hold much weight. Anyone who has had to hire a lawyer (me) can attest to that.

The reason people are upset is this whole thing was handled poorly. Again I'm not trying to be critical. I too have made mistakes. I'm just saying the "My way or the highway or good luck with that lawsuit" statement only serves to turn people off. And I agree statements that "I'm going to sue" are not useful either.

I get accused of stirring up drama but more often then not I'm just calling things out that I do not think are right. In this situation it was the board that actually stirred this up. My thought is the classified thread would have been no big deal and barely noticed and been done by now.

What made it a big deal is that it was shut down and then there was this rule in place after the fact of the raffle that no raffle items could be sold with really no explanation so people are left to jump to conclusions and likely wrong ones.

Truly all I'm looking for is to see both sides. As of yet, Stylaster has not posted what the situation was that provoked the threads being pulled in the first place. Are all the sponsors complaining (not likely)? Is it just a few who complain all the time? Do they really feel that selling a tunze regulator is going to cost them a sale?

We do not all have to agree but people do want to be treated like adults and given the information and see both sides of the argument sponsors and members side and maybe come up with a compromise.

It also does not sit well with me the threats from sponsors that I'm no longer going to donate and I'm not going to support the forum if I don't get my way.

Huh, i disagree with you that its one of the more inflammatory posts in this thread. I can count several that blow mine out of the water.

You'll notice none of my posts have anything to do with how it was handled or the like. I've stayed true to the title of the thread.

Wow' date=' way to sensationalize, over generalize, and post false info all in one post!!! Good job man![/quote']

what false info?(scratch)

There are members who are privy to the "inside lane" Thanks for the compliment though....sarcastic or not I appreciate any compliments coming from you Miles (clap)

Grassi,

Yes I know that I "stir the pot" just as much as some others....mostly because I don't like to stay quiet when things aren't right. Regardless of the outcome. Sometimes I am right...sometimes I am wrong.

Bob, we are elected to represent the members and to keep this place on track.

Selling an item the next day in the same forum is not against any written rule, but in my opinion it is an act of respect to not do so and, from what I was told, a guarantee to have the same (huge) amount of donations next year.

To keep you all updated, we are still waiting a couple of officers to express their opinion on this topic.

This is against my own interest, being the winner of the most 'profitable' price.

On a side note and completely out of topic I would politely an personally like to ask you to remove your new avatar. Being grandson and nephew of partisans and having had part of my family killed during WWII, I don't like to see that guy every day. I hope you understand

Huh, i disagree with you that its one of the more inflammatory posts in this thread. I can count several that blow mine out of the water.

You'll notice none of my posts have anything to do with how it was handled or the like. I've stayed true to the title of the thread.

Well, I will give you that Miles. I just never Include Ca2OR's it's a given his statements are going to be over the top. What I meant is one of the more inflammatory posts from one of the board members.

Miles all I am saying is it would be helpful if the facts were actually presented as to what the heck is going on and what the concerns were from the sponsor side and what the repercussions are. I"m not saying pointing fingers and naming names of said sponsors. Just what is the history with the selling of the prizes.

I mean let's be honest. I could say hey I got this pump it's new and it looks like the one in the raffle but it isn't and just go around the rules.

Most of the people here are reasonable. The board members are reasonable. Most of the sponsors are reasonable. I think there is a way to work this out so that there is not all this drama and negativity with any future raffles. People just want to be treated like adults and know what the story is not be told that's the way it's going to be deal with it and good luck with the lawsuit.

Bob, we are elected to represent the members and to keep this place on track.

Selling an item the next day in the same forum is not against any written rule, but in my opinion it is an act of respect to not do so and, from what I was told, a guarantee to have the same (huge) amount of donations next year.

To keep you all updated, we are still waiting a couple of officers to express their opinion on this topic.

This is against my own interest, being the winner of the most 'profitable' price.

On a side note and completely out of topic I would politely an personally like to ask you to remove your new avatar. Being grandson and nephew of partisans and having had part of my family killed during WWII, I don't like to see that guy every day. I hope you understand

Well said Alex(clap). This is what I'm talking about. Nobody likes to be told what to do but the majority of people here are reasonable. They just want to be treated like adults and know what is going on. I do not agree with not being allowed to sell a raffle item but if truly all of the sponsors are saying I don't like that and we are not going to donate I can abide by that and I think the group as a whole can too. Also truly if it is viewed as a slap in the face to them and and seen as being disrespectful and offensive to sponsors and other members, I do not want that either.

Changed in respect to Alex's family...

This is a perfect example. Bob is a very kind caring person and did not intentionally post a picture to offend anyone. It is easier to respond and do things when people are treated like adults just as Alex did here. He didn't say Lowman you're a jerk and idiot I'm banning you for that picture.

It's all about respect people! Double rainbow all the way!(clap):D

Seems that in the bod we are leaning for the 'no you can't sell the raffle price' while here it is showed the opposite.

Let's do something instead of going trough a never ending debate: let's move this decision to be voted in the member section with an official poll (sorry Kim!).

It seems to be an important topic, so let's the majority decide.

What do you think?

Seems that in the bod we are leaning for the 'no you can't sell the raffle price' while here it is showed the opposite.

Let's do something instead of going trough a never ending debate: let's move this decision to be voted in the member section with an official poll (sorry Kim!).

What do you think?

LOL Grassi no offense taken. The problem with an official poll in the member section is I can guarantee the results are going to be similar. The members are going to want to be able to do what they want with any item won in a raffle. This was what I thought when I first put up the poll and I just wanted to see if my hypothesis would be confirmed. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the "no" votes come from sponsors and board members who again know more of the history and have personal dealings with the sponsors.

There are more members than sponsors so "majority rules" isn't going to work as I do appreciate the donations and generosity of many of the sponsors. I also do know that it is tough to own a LFS and make a profit. There just needs to be a balance between what is good for the members and the sponsors.

The board members were elected by the members. I may not always agree with the board or the decisions but I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over decision that are made. Like I said before, there is no extra pay for the positions and I do feel that people on the board have the club's best intentions at heart.

My problem was how this situation was initially handled and it would just have been helpful to know where the complaints were coming from. As it is I think Tunze has gotten a bad rap....(laugh)

What do you think?

Let me get this straight....it sounded like you said that the BOD was considering making discrimination acceptable forum policy????(nutty)

Rick, in this case the concept of legal and moral don't walk on the same side.

A moral value can be the fact of not selling a donated price of a raffle.

I like to see us as a responsive community.

As Alister MacIntyre said, "the term responsive denotes that the society is not merely setting and fostering norms for its members but also is responding to the expressions of their values, viewpoints and communications in refashioning its culture and structure"

It is just a manner of point of view, not ignoring, believe me.