What should people do with items won in a raffle

Emerald525

What should people do with items won in a raffle  

1. 1.

• A:Yes
    • B:No
    • C: Not sure/undecided
    • D: I'm liking the bonfire idea and lighting unwanted items on fire!

So there has been some good and civil discussion going on about a recent thread item and I am hopeful it continues

For those of you under a rock, yesterday there was a classified ad placed by a member for an item won in the XMAS raffle. This thread was pulled and is under further review as well as a second thread from our fearless leader Stylaster stating that members were not allowed to sell in the classifieds any items won in the XMAS raffle as some sponsors (no names mentioned) were not happy that these donations were being sold and were less likely to offer future donations to the forum. Please note this is my understanding of the situation and correct me if I am wrong board members.

This decision to not allow the posting of items in the classifieds that were won in the raffle is currently under review from the board. Be patient folks they have jobs and lives like the rest of us!:D

Sponsors this is your chance to anonymously vote too!

• Like 1

So there has been some good and civil discussion going on about a recent thread item and I am hopeful it continues

I commend everyone on this well thought out and civil discussion. Maybe we can get the other thread merged here so people can read some excellent points on the subject before making a decision.

I commend everyone on this well thought out and civil discussion. Maybe we can get the other thread merged here so people can read some excellent points on the subject before making a decision.

So...you're the other Doug!! I kept hearing someone at the party call out "Doug"....I kept turning to acknowledge....could never see who they were talking too!

• Like 1

Maybe since the people that received the items, since they got them so cheap, should instead of selling them should trade them for stuff that they need. I can understand where the sponsors are coming from (why should I give you something when you are just going to turn around and sell it?) and understand that if someone has something they dont need they are allowed to sell it.

By the way the raffle tickets were 6 for $5 which is 83 cents each.

Maybe since the people that received the items, since they got them so cheap, should instead of selling them should trade them for stuff that they need. I can understand where the sponsors are coming from (why should I give you something when you are just going to turn around and sell it?) and understand that if someone has something they dont need they are allowed to sell it.

I agree trading seems very reasonable but then so does selling. The sponsors don't give the items to the winner. They give them to the club, who then sells tickets to win them. I didn't see a lot of people buying just one .83 ticket (laugh)

We should do the raffle were you can pick the item you wish to win. Put a cup or something in front of each item and you put your tickets in the one you want to win. This way it will help prevent winning something you didn't want. Right now if I buy 50 in tickets and win something I rally didn't want to win you would keep fell better about the 50 in tickets but may sell later on cause you didn't really need it. Just a thought.

• Like 1

The cost of the raffle tickets should not have any bearing upon this whatsoever and I cannot understand where the sponsors are coming from. (FWIW, I've donated raffle items worth hundreds of dollars to other clubs so I can look at it from their side too) If I as a sponsor donate to an event I'm doing so both to help raise money for the event and to increase my exposure (I'm gambling that I will get a bigger return in customers than the cost of the donation). As a sponsor I personally would refuse to donate an item that had any strings attached to it because doing so would discourage purchases of raffle tickets for the item and in turn would decrease my exposure which as a sponsor is my primary concern. It's also in the best interest of the club to avoid discouraging purchases too so they should refuse to accept any donation where a sponsor stipulates that a winner cannot sell it.

• Like 1

We should do the raffle were you can pick the item you wish to win. Put a cup or something in front of each item and you put your tickets in the one you want to win. This way it will help prevent winning something you didn't want. Right now if I buy 50 in tickets and win something I rally didn't want to win you would keep fell better about the 50 in tickets but may sell later on cause you didn't really need it. Just a thought.

They read your mind Frank and did it that way this year.

This works for big ticket items. It doesn't work for smaller items. It actually encourages sponsors to donate big tickets items since they get increased exposure by doing so. I.E. There are two or three big ticket items with specific tickets for them and then a general raffle for the rest. What normally happens is that most people will purchase both and actually end up spending more.

I am assuming this sponsor is Tunze? and the item is a CO2 Regulator....This way, in a round about way, those reading this can put 2 & 2 together and get with the person that won it and make a back door deal, just don't make it public...There Problem solved....lol(laugh) We will never know if anything was sold, traded, used, burned, run over by a car, attached to a helium balloon and lauched into space.....nobody will ever know what happened to it, and forever we will refer to Donations with Strings attached as "Tunze Donations"....There is a new word for you Kim...(laugh)

Wasn't there sorry... Then I don't see why some one sell a item you won. If you didn't want it you shouldn't have put your ticket in the cup unless you did it with the intent to resale it in which case bad on you ...

Maybe becuase they just wanted to support the club and bought some raffle tickets and just threw them in the bucket...Or maybe they thought it would be cool, but after actually winning they realized they really couldn't use it, this mentality of the person who won being a sneaky lowlife is wrong in my opinion, and honestly it was a random drawing, so what if that was thier intention, it was a random drawing and he lucked out...big deal...doesn't make him a bad guy in my eyes...just lucky...lol

Wasn't there sorry... Then I don't see why some one sell a item you won. If you didn't want it you shouldn't have put your ticket in the cup unless you did it with the intent to resale it in which case bad on you ...

As the gentleman stated before, he thought he could use it and had a lot of tickets in the bag. Once he checked out what his application was, he found he didn't need it. The point is, it is not up to any one to judge a person for selling an item he or she legitimately won in a raffle that they paid their money in. Who gives a rat's *** if you sell something here? The rule was laid down AFTER the raffle was over. No rules were broken by the person who posted the item for sale.

The item won didn't end up working out. It happens. I know of at least one other situation where that is the case.

I am assuming this sponsor is Tunze? and the item is a CO2 Regulator....This way' date=' in a round about way, those reading this can put 2 & 2 together and get with the person that won it and make a back door deal, just don't make it public...There Problem solved....lol(laugh) We will never know if anything was sold, traded, used, burned, run over by a car...nobody will ever know what happened to it, and forever we will refer to Donations with Strings attached as "Tunze Donations"....There is a new word for you Kim...(laugh)[/quote']

LOL actually David I don't really think it was Tunze. I can't imagine that they even frequent our forum that often and just based on how quickly that classified was squashed I'm guessing it is someone local.

Disclaimer This is just mere rumor gut feeling and speculation on my part but I think it is a local sponsor who is complaining. It's not like Tunze is a forum sponsor from what I can tell. That's the part I do not get is why when it wasn't even your donation that you care.

I like the new dictionary definition Tunze donation! rofl can we make a sticky with all of these!(laugh)

and yes exactly. If someone wants to sell they can totally get around all this and loophole and say will "trade for greenback zoas" :) I love loopholes and backdoors! (take that however you want people) ;)

As the gentleman stated before' date=' he thought he could use it and had a lot of tickets in the bag. Once he checked out what his application was, he found he didn't need it. The point is, it is not up to any one to judge a person for selling an item he or she legitimately won in a raffle that they paid their money in. Who gives a rat's *** if you sell something here? The rule was laid down AFTER the raffle was over. No rules were broken by the person who posted the item for sale.[/quote']

+100

Do we really want to go around policing the classifieds after every raffle? Not to mention it's trivial to post it for sale on another board. It's an impossibly slippery slope with no hope of succeeding and every chance of cheesing people off.

• Like 1

That brings up the question then....Who really donated the item in question?

I say we use deductive reasoning, a process of elimination followed by an angry mob with pitchforks and torches to root out the culprit....

.....I am totally kidding. I dont even own a pitchfork