dose Vodka really work?

cschwarz

Yes. The carbohydrates in the alcohol feed the nitrifying bacteria in the aquarium, allowing them to increase their population and convert more NO4 to nitrogen and oxygen.

Note that it isn't a technique for everyone. It isn't something to be done casually, or quickly. It's risky, but can provide amazing results. And spectacular failures.

Too dramatic? :-D

Not sure why you would dose more. From my understanding you up the dosage till you see a good decrease in N&P and then decrease to a maintenance dose of about half or whatever it takes to keep it maintained at the low level. When I dosed VSV I got up to 40 ish ML per day and then once I lowered N&P I dosed about 15ml per day.

I was curious about the biopellets that BRS is now selling but wanted to see how dosing went for other people

BRS pellets came out right after I got my Warner Marine Eco Bac pellets. I would assume that what BRS sells is very similar if not identical to all the other Bio pellets out there. I would trust BRS.

Ya, I would assume that nitrates rais do to not enouph bio in the tank, dosing V would raise the level of bio, thats how it works right? well why would you keep adding more andore to get results then back it way off to sustain it? Why couldnt you just dose with x amount constant? it may take a bit longer but as with everything in the hobbie.

Ya' date=' I would assume that nitrates rais do to not enouph bio in the tank, dosing V would raise the level of bio, thats how it works right? well why would you keep adding more andore to get results then back it way off to sustain it? Why couldnt you just dose with x amount constant? it may take a bit longer but as with everything in the hobbie.[/quote']

I dont know exactly. I tried a maintained dose and only got the N&P down so far. But once I upped the dose by a small amount per week the N&P went down to a level that they never went any lower. Even with more VSV. I guess it takes so much to lower hight levels but to maintain bacteria and keep your levels low once there it doesn't take as much.