crashing???

Kimberlee

my test reads 0' date=' but I wouldn't mind double checking. How long do I have before everything dies. I can't get to the LFS until tomorrow[/quote']

Depends on the problem. Zero nitrates seems pretty unlikely. What's the SG and temp? What kind of system is it? (size, livestock, etc)

SG 1.025 Temp 89 to high' date=' don't know why. 55 gal, no sump yet, lightly stocked 2 fish, BTA crabs and sails coral banded shrimp. any one know anything about AmQuel Plus. I'm hoping I can use it to treat the water so I can do a WC[/quote']

Dont panic! Just because things are not open does not mean your tank is crashing. The worst thing you could do is to start adding bunch of stuff. Trust your readings. Sometimes things don't open just because. Give it time. Do NOT Add a bunch of chemicals at this time. You will do more harm than good. Get the temp down. This is probably your problem. Use ziplocks full of ice to do that. Then figure out why the temp is up.

Fan on tank getting ice I can't stand putting things in my tank like that anyway it makes me nervous Will update after temp drops. Thank you, I love my tank. I have a very demanding family so the tanks the 1 thing I do for me, and I panic easily when things don't look right. I also sleep next to it, and if it could fit on the bed my husband would sleep on the floor. He lucked out that I can't fit the tank on his side of the bed

To be perfectly clear: Ice goes in plastic bags, plastic bags go in water ;-)

Temp is probably the problem, but I still don't believe nitrates are 0 -- I'd get water checked at LFS either way.

EDIT: And keep a close eye on the temp as you bring it down. Better to do it slow, than fast and too low.

also dont flip out if he dont open up right off the bat after the temp is low give it till morning and get a water test to your lfs to make sure but the old heater is more than fried /stuck in a high temp and wount change mabye good for the water change setup to get it started but only till you can replace it as well.

Temp is probably the big problem. What are you using to test phosphates? The kit could be reading them correctly but is probably not sensitive enough (Most are not). Even if they read zero you may still be adding a bunch and the algae could simply be feeding on it.

55 galleons. temps dropping' date=' not fast though. Nothings dead yet. every things seemed different since the power went out. My biggest concern was the bta, hes been doing great since I got him and I know they can go down quick.[/quote']

I have bubble tips and in my experience they are really hard to kill (once established). In a tank that size your heater must have been working really hard to get that hot; you can never trust a heaters thermostat so you always need to go off a thermometer. I always use at least two thermometers because you cant really trust a thermometer either.