AEUAD-is there a cure?

Electrokate

Help! My spouse suffers from Aquarium Equipment Upgrade Aversion Disorder, is there anything I can do? The holidays are approaching, and one would think this would help but every birthday or xmas he gets "me" a new computer instead of fish gear. (He's a programmer) What can I do? I know this is linked to the dreaded Aquarium Aversion Disorder, which I have read the only cures are divorce or spontaneous abundant wealth, both of which are quite out of the question.

Kate

Hmm. Electric shock treatment cufflinks with innocuous Nemo design, attached to the controller I don't have yet, and accessible by Droid? That might actually make me call it a "smart" phone, and incline me to use it now and then. (I seem to be the only person in the world who failed to become addicted to touch sensitive wireless telephone based hand held electronic devices.)

I did try to interest him in open source controller modules but he likes to tinker with Linux a lot, and that could be dangerous. It mildly piqued his interest for about 3 seconds, anyway. Thought I could probably develop a screensaver with phases of the moon that replicate real ones, so that I could leave the computer near the tank and synchronize spawning. Nada. I can't even interest him in moving an old out of date UPS downstairs to run Korallias in a power outage.

I scratch the acrylic 120 every time I breathe near it so obviously I need a whole new system. Hence the conundrum. Did you know astrea stars will burrow under a magfloat? Boy do they scratch a tank good. I was cleaning it with the lights off because I was trying to siphon baby clowns out, so did not see the starfish til it was too late. A fellow PNWMAS member has a delightful glass replacement system for only 700 dollars that I think would be perfect for my needs! Wonder if he would like to swap it for a used laptop... (:

Kate

real actual emergencies

By the way I do have real reasons to post here but it's venting. I make mistakes. Often.

#1: Water in basement. Predictable. Same with everyone else around here. Leaving working extension cords laying on floor in the spot where the rain tends to pool, priceless.

#2: Used flatworm exit on Convolutriloba/Acoel infestation in 55. Forgot was out of carbon. Had to buy it from Petsmart at 8:35 pm because real fish stores closed. Was surprised to see that flatworm exit actually worked on them, usually it only makes them let go so I can siphon and shake them off. Was hoping to at least lower the numbers so the wrasse could eat the rest, not actually wipe them out chemically.

#3: Still tons of dead flatworms on sand in morning and scheduled to be in Salem for the Xmas party. Used up nearly all the make up water last night.

#4: Lighting caught on fire on the tank when I fed the fish, which don't have a super hot appetite probably because of all the dead flatworms.

So it's gonna be a fun day. At least the hood did not burn.

Kate

PS I could use a new T5HO endcap.